Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

~~New thread for PFD'S & Waterproof Radios, and video~~  Bottom

• ~~ This happened on the 17th. but I didn't have a puter for about 3 days, (a drunk took out the pole.. no R.R.) so I'am late posting this.... This happened in lake Ontairo- (one of the great lakes)- and shows the importance of PFD'S & radios if ya carry one... It also has a video of it on the page.... Now lets see if I can get the URL in here~~~
    http://www.9wsyr.com/news…YV7QYrUOv1Bl-F1iT6g.cspx

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • "and one of them did swallow a lot of water" its called drinking

"finding a head and a few arms"... usually two

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Great little article. I keep a marine radio (and whistle and cat tool) in my PFD when I sail on Lake Michigan, another nice feature of the kayaking PFD's are the pockets on some of them. Have also been known to attach a mini strobe light for some sailing adventures.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • ~~ On the other thread about PFD's I noticed alotta talk about comfort and padding here & there and if they have pockets-- thats good !! I have 3, my girl has 2, all comffy with pockets... but I can never find a bright orange, bright green or yellow one that I like... If someone falls off, it's hard to see a person because of a DRAB color. My girl fell in a few years ago and a motor boat came in between us when I was on my way back to get her--- I don't think he seen her at all, he didn't seam to slow down or make any adjustment in his course... We have to think of MORE than just being comfortable... We have to be seen as well... It sucks when you blend in with the water & WAVES ~~~~~~

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • popeyez7 We have to be seen as well... It sucks when you blend in with the water & WAVES ~~~~~~

Good point, since most a PFD is under water when "in use" maybe putting some reflective ribbon around the shoulder straps would be of benefit.
    http://www.identi-tape.com/hi-intensity2.htm

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • food for thought.

there was a skipper who fell overboard at this years Tybee 500. his crew didn't realize it for a little bit and the boat sailed a small distance.

they were unable to locate him for a long enough time (despite whistles, screams, waving hands etc) that they had to call the coast guard for aid.

He was found and the discussion as what to do came up. it was stated that smoke flairs and water die was the best (or at least most usable) solution, along with personal inflatable location buoys.

This was in open Atlantic ocean with swells and waves, i am not suggesting that flairs and die are needed for sailing in every instance... but worth mentioning.

Also here in the clearwater/gulf area, last feb, we had a fishing boat some 70 miles off shore capsize and 2 of the 3 died from exposure (or exposure related problems). I am sure you heard of it.. they were NFL players. and it took days to find the white hulls of the boat, in a sea of white caps...

• putting some reflective ribbon around the shoulder straps would be of benefit.

~~ Done that, still hard to see unless it REFLECTS...
    ~~ I remember that-- MN3.. (I know you "A") icon_wink

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.