Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.0  Bottom

• I am looking for a Nacra 5.0 and have a couple questions. Does anyone know they changed anything from 1982 to 1987? I saw a post here that the mast base was changed, but anything else? Does it come standard with a roller furling jib or does the jib have battens?

I am 180 pounds and am looking for a boat that I can sail solo in 15 mph winds or take out the family for a casual sail on Squam Lake in New Hampshire. I have sailed a Trac 16 for about 12 years and am looking for more performance and high volume hulls. Thanks!
  • The 5.0 is an Awesome boat to solo and for family sailing

There isn't much difference between 1982 and 1985.

I believe they switched the base casting around 1982, so it may have the 1.5" captive ball casting.

The main difference is that they went to a foam sandwich construction versus pure fiberglass in 1985, so the post 1985 models are a little lighter. Also the Pivmatic pop-up rudder assembly wasn't added until 1985, this is a cheap and easy add on but a MUST because without it if you hit something your rudders will pull right out of the transoms.

It came standard for all those yeasrs with a normal jib with little stub battens. Roller furling was a later add on, not many boats of that era had them. It is a very worthwhile add on if you are planning on soloing alot.

The 5.0 is a really good boat to solo, no boom and no boards to worry about so it is much easier to handle by one person. You should be able to right it fairly easily at 180 lbs. It has the volume to take your family for casual sails and it really well behaved in high winds (very pitchpole resistant). Those wind speeds are no problem in this boat!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I have a 5.0 '83 model. When I bought it used, it did not have the captive ball casting. I went ahead and ordered the upgrade kit for $160 and switched it out. The mast spreader is also different than the the newer models. Seems they switched it around the '84 time frame. How much of a difference that would make? I have no idea. It did have the pivmatic pop-up rudder assembly (as seen here: http://www.murrays.com/mm…56-0266-1&Category_Code=). I do not know if it came that way or one of the previous owners installed it. The cleat was plastic and I've heard all the cleats from the factory are aluminum. These all seem to be minor differences; some of which may already be upgraded.

I've taken both the family and friends out on it. Even with either 3 adults or 2 adults with 2 teens, it had enough volume for a casual sail when the winds were good.

I haven't had a chance to solo it much, but soloing recently in 15mph (with gusts to 22mph) was a blast.
  • Thanks for the information. I tested out a Nacra 450 last week in big winds and liked the design, but spent too much time with the leeward hull buried. I hope the longer hulls will float higher.

As far as installing a roller furling jib, I have a spare furling drum and cleat from a Trac 16. Do I need anything else? It should work with the existing forestay, jib halyard and bridle wires, right? Looking forward to sailing a Nacra 5.0!
  • If you are burying the hull on the 450 you probably need to get back closer to the rear beam a bit. Also realize that the Nacra boats are meant to be sailed with lee bow buried somewhat (different than a hobie 16). The 5.0 does have quite a bit more volume and will not tend to bury as bad though.

You need a high load swivel at the top and likely will need to get a shorter forestay built. You can shorten the existing one but the minimum you can do so is in about a 6" increment. You probably won't need it that much shorter. Measure your existing forestay(eye to eye) and subtract the length of the furler and swivel and it should be about right. You should be able to use the existing bridles and jib halyard.

regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • I have the bigger brother to the 5.0, an '84 5.7. Mine is an early '84, built in Feb, it came with pivmatics, captive mast ball, & adjustable raked spreaders.
    You are an experienced sailor, maybe you should look for a 5.7?
    I solo mine quite a bit,no problemo, you can't hold it down at full power in over 12-15 mph,(I'm only 170 lbs)so you use some of the multiple depowering devices & go out & have a blast. You can also take the entire family, 2 on the wire, the rest anywhere,& drive the crap out of it in 20+ winds, it rocks! I've buried BOTH hulls completely under,right up to the beam, rooster tails shooting from the front beam, & it won't pitchpole (mast raked somewhat).
    I don't race, so I don't chase every last bit of pointing & speed, you gotta love the boardless Nacras, no boom,no boards, simple to rig & you can carry a ton of weight. Here are a couple of threads re the 5.0 & 5.7. Get one, Philip practically guarantees you will be inundated with naked nubile females on a Nacra.
    Furling not standard, about a $200 investment, great addition when soloing. I'm putting together an album that shows what's involved. You can use your drum from the Trac, as Dave mentioned you need a swivel at top of forstay. I use the Harken small boat furler. You also need a way to attach the top swivel to the bow shackle on the mast hound, they make a tang for a few bucks.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=75023&g2_serialNumber=4&g2_GALLERYSID=f664b968670202413298d658880356f8
    You can cut the old forestay, have them put a marine eye on the end, instead of a thimble, you can cut the old one right at the thimble & put the eye on with only a few inches loss. You need 5" for the furler & 1 1/2" for the adapter tang at top. The marine eye you put on will attach directly to the forestay chain plate adjuster, the adjuster pins to the drum, you can stil adjust rake.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/module-forum-viewtopic-topic-12064.html

http://www.thebeachcats.com/module-forum-viewtopic-topic-12085.html

http://www.thebeachcats.com/module-forum-viewtopic-topic-11692.html

edited by: Edchris177, Sep 21, 2010 - 08:08 PM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I have an '84 5.0 with the captive ball mast and pivmatic pop up rudders. I have not solo'd yet but have had 2 adults and my son on it in light winds for cruising, and just my son in higher winds - learned from this forum to move back to the rear beam as I buried the hulls to the front beam. It's stable and does not want to pitchpole.

I am also looking at a roller furling to reduce my time to get onto the lake (my boat is stored lakeside with the mast up all season) - and to provide some flexibility when I decide to solo. This forum provides some great data and pictures on this setup - so I'll add when I get around to mine.

All in 5.0 is a great boat for me right now. I got a good deal on it, but like everyone else on this site spent some money to make it our own. good deals are out there.

David
  • EC,

That's true, I just relized I'm a hypocrite because I needed to put a 2nd 10 hole adjuster on the bottom to extend the forestay. I mis-measured mine and had to do that. Haven't had a problem with it, so shortening the old forestay would work and only cost an adjuster. The tang EC shows is also a good idea. I use a second bow shackle above the swivel up top but had to really finagle it to get it to work. Where there's a will there's a way. If you already have the furler drum you can probably get something together for under $100.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Thanks for all the replies. I am going to pick up the 1987 Nacra 5.0 on Sunday! I would consider a 5.7 if there was one for sale in my area. Maybe someday I'll have both, like Nacraman57 icon_lol . When I buried the lee hull of the 450, I was back at the rear cross bar on the trapeze and buried the whole hull. She didn't want to pitch pole, but slowed down some. Looks like I have most of the parts for the roller furling jib, lust need to shorten my forestay. Can't wait to sail the Nacra, but I might need a new forum name.
  • You'll love it.

I recently picked up a 83 Nacra 5.0 as seen in the other thread.

Very easy to sail without dagger boards, and no boom. Likewise the pop up rudder make even shallow water encounters not a big problem.

I've been out on it about 5 times, with up to 3 people and even solo'd it now, and it's great. The wider tramp compared to a hobbie makes it feel room. Great boat, you'll love it.
  • I picked up the 1987 Nacra 5.0 last week and have sailed it solo three times. The first two times were in light winds around 10 mph and the boat handled great. I went out yesterday in a blustery 15 - 20 mph wind. The boat handled well on a close reach on the trapeze, but tacking was difficult. When I tried to go downwind the gusts were a little scary, but I managed to go on a run. Then the wind changed and the sails jibed to the starboard side and I was on a broad reach. I didn't get my weight back fast enough and pitch polled. I was able to swim the mast into the wind and righted the cat just as a fisherman came over to offer help. He said he clocked me at 18 mph on his fish finder. I guess I could have used some crew on this big wind day. The Nacra 5.0 is very sporty and responsive. I am looking forward to being able to furl the jib when I am over powered. I also learned some good lessons about getting back on a run or broad reach and am psyched that I could right the boat solo.
  • I have to depower in winds over 15 mph, I can't hold my 5.7 down solo. Even having my 120 lb wife on the wire is a huge help. We went out in 50 clicks Fri (30 mph), I wouldn't have soloed in that.
    You will find that they are harder to tack when the wind gets up, even harder without the jib. Make sure you have speed when you tack, & leave the jib cleated. Let it fill from the wrong side (backwind)& push the bow around. Once 45* or more off the wind, cut the jib & haul it over, this will give you lots of speed for steerage. I sailed my 5.7 once on jib alone, just to see how it would do, & play with different positions of the blocks & I was surprised how fast I could go. If you do end up in irons, let the boat drift backwards & point the rudders where you want the stern to go, as the boat backs down, it will generally swing around. Also release the main as you are approaching irons, otherwise it acts like a large wind vane.
    Solo in good wind I toss the traveler line across at each tack, leave the bitter end hang at the end of the beam. I keep the jib sheet by my forward toe/jib block, & loop the mainsheet over my forward leg, then against my foot, the rest on the tramp.
    This keeps all lines available by just doing a knee bend, the mainsheet stays on the tramp, yet you have a bunch of slack ready if you need to play some out quickly.
    Good to see you could right it, it is much more fun living on the edge when righting is not an issue.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.