Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Thinking of a beachcat in central Massachusetts  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• QuoteIs there any reason I shouldn't consider a Prindle 18?

Here is the deal: you could probably learn and do fine on a p18, BUT it has lots of control lines all over the place (if fully rigged with 4way jib adjuster and barberhauler) and that is not great for crew (esp kids). it also is a powerful enough of a boat to get in trouble when the wind kicks up. since It really does take a few years to learn and understand how to handle and depower a catamaran and you are talking about taking kids out... it may not be the best choice.

MOST used cats level out and keep their value. I bought a H16 and sold it for the same exact amount 6 years later. I bought a H18 and sold it for more than i bought it for (granted i got it for a song)....

so no matter what you get, as long as it doesnt explode.. its a fairly stable investment (assuming you dont buy new)
  • I pulled the trigger on this one

http://www.thebeachcats.c…871-prindle-18-sold.html

I'll be picking it up on the 24th. It needs some work (what used boat doesn't?), but it isn't a project.

I should have it in the water in May.

Matthew
  • nice pick up! you can't go wrong with the trusty p-18...rugged, simple, fast enough and plenty of prindle sailors out there to help not to mention parts readily available. download a copy of the owners manual first off. the learning curve for the rudders is the most tricky part but if you balance the helm just like the manual says they work great. there is extensive post on the rudder systems on this site if you search. now just brace yourself for the longest winter ever waiting to get on the water with it!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • congrtats!
    looks very nice
  • I'll post pictures of my own once I have it.

Matthew
  • I got it home from New Jersey without any serious incident (note to self, don't take a trailer you have never towed before across the George Washington Bridge).

It was too dark to take pictures when I got home and its too dark to take any this morning. I hope to post a portfolio this weekend.

Matthew
  • I have posted the first set of pictures:

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=77506

The cat was probably good enough to sail as it sat, but I've got the winter to work on it, so I decided to make a project out of it.

It is scarily easy to take apart. I'm used to working on old cars, tractors and implements. I usually have to do some pretty creative things to take old joints apart. This was a piece of cake. I reserve comment about putting it back together until I have had that experience icon_smile

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

Matthew
  • Hey Matt, I acquired a P18 recently, looking at your pics I noticed that your rudders have the very same problem as mine, where the up-haul line connects, the rudder(s) seem to swell open and split on the seam. I guess this is a recurring Prindle problem, goint to have to fill that seam with resin, tricky one as the hole for the up-haul line has to be kept open when pouring resin. Anyone got any suggestions on what to use.

By the way, how much did you get your P18 for?

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • turbohoboHey Matt, I acquired a P18 recently, looking at your pics I noticed that your rudders have the very same problem as mine, where the up-haul line connects, the rudder(s) seem to swell open and split on the seam. I guess this is a recurring Prindle problem, goint to have to fill that seam with resin, tricky one as the hole for the up-haul line has to be kept open when pouring resin. Anyone got any suggestions on what to use.

By the way, how much did you get your P18 for?

I paid the asking price plus the cost of driving to Trenton:

http://www.thebeachcats.c…871-prindle-18-sold.html
  • LOL, the asking price was "best offer"? I picked up mine for $600, gas was about $200 and a new tramp was just over $300. Will check out the trailer this winter to see if it need new bearings, but so far everything looks good. Will convert existing jib into a furling jib for next season, cheers bubba. icon_cool

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • turbohoboLOL, the asking price was "best offer"? I picked up mine for $600, gas was about $200 and a new tramp was just over $300. Will check out the trailer this winter to see if it need new bearings, but so far everything looks good. Will convert existing jib into a furling jib for next season, cheers bubba. icon_cool

My previous response must have disappeared.

I paid $875 for the boat and trailer and about $125 in gas and tolls to go get it. I've already ordered $50 worth of replacement parts, and committed $100 to having the tramp restitched. I expect to pay another $100 for tools and parts for the boat, the trailer will probably require $100 in lights, bearings and sail tube.

I expect to spend ~$100 on epoxy and $200 on Wearlon paint for the hulls and rudders. I haven't figured out what the topside repairs will cost, yet.

Matthew

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.