Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

The Old Guys are Hardcore!  Bottom

• I crewed with an older guy Sunday on a Pridle 16 in the Gulf at the 10 Mile spot in Surfside, TX as you may know there was a tropical storm futher out in the gulf so we got great wind (15 gusting to 20) and some rough seas (6+ feet) from it.
    This " Old Guy" could out sail probably most people half his age he stayed trapped out the hole time and drove that Prindle 16 hard as it handle I really think he maxed it out we made 1 long run and back I was thinking he is wiped out we are headed for the beach when he said get ready to tack we are heading back out! Lol! amazing this guy is the man! On the way back out he drove it like a maniac again he got knocked off the wire and we capsized then recovered and back out on the wire he went till we got way out at sea again he came in so we could tack back and POP we demasted our friends towed us back in but man what a ride! So as I said the old guys are hardcore it took all I had just to stay onboard to ride at this guys level and he told me thats the only way to sail cats!! Awesome!!!! icon_biggrin
  • sounds fun.. but there is a thin line between bravery and ...

6' seas, 15-20, feet washed from under you, capsize.. and then turn around and go out to sea with a named storm knockin on your doors?

Glad you had a chase boat/ tow boat and made it back
  • I'm afraid to ask what you consider and "old guy".

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • He has been sailing for 30 years and it's hard to guess his age he was wearing a hat & sunglasses but I would say he was in his 50's but I'm really bad at that sort of thing. Andrew we always sail in a group and wear all our safety supplies. We had 2 boats demast and everyone had a boat to them within minutes. Once the second mast dropped we shut it down and packed it up. There is a chance you could find yourself in rough water without planning it so a little practice in a group might be a good idea. But I get your point.
  • Sounds like a fun day on the water. But I agree with Andrew, many of us have stories of crazy things we have done, but also many of us have become more conservative with time.

I am in my 30's but been sailing for 20 years. I have stories like sailing a H16 in the Pacific out of Santa Cruz where our friends on shore would loose sight of us as our H16 would drop down out of site in the wave trough, and would watch to see if our sails would come back up into view as we would crest the next wave. Now with wife and kid, I wouldn't be going out in those conditions.

Glad you had fun, and glad you were out in a group with the proper safety equipment.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • smfinleyfriends on shore would loose sight of us as our H16 would drop down out of site in the wave trough, and would watch to see if our sails would come back up into view as we would crest the next wave.
    Had a couple days like that too I think its some kind of self governing initiation of cat sailing a draw most of us will have at some point. The nature of the beast.
  • damonAdminI'm afraid to ask what you consider and "old guy".

Damon, you know Floyd's talking about us and most of our sailing buddies. Us "Old Guys" can hang too.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • [quote=nacra55]
    damonAdmin. Us "Old Guys" can hang too.
    I was saying it was all I could do to stay on board because the old guys which may include you Ron are hardcore. Your welcome for the compliment!
  • QuoteAndrew we always sail in a group and wear all our safety supplies. We had 2 boats demast and everyone had a boat to them within minutes. Once the second mast dropped we shut it down and packed it up. There is a chance you could find yourself in rough water without planning it so a little practice in a group might be a good idea. But I get your point.

I have been in those conditions many times, and will go out and do it again.. probably this weekend :)

You didn't mention you were in a group, that is smart! If your gonna play in big weather, be prepared to have a tech issue.

I am not against sailing in heavy air, but you need support around when something breaks.

It's good to have a fleet of friends
  • damonAdminI'm afraid to ask what you consider and "old guy".

Gawd Damon I think this means were old guys. But as the saying goes "Old Guys Rule!"

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • nacra55
    damonAdminI'm afraid to ask what you consider and "old guy".

Damon, you know Floyd's talking about us and most of our sailing buddies. Us "Old Guys" can hang too.

That's what I was afraid of. icon_mad

I was hoping he meant a sailor like the two 80 year olds that raced a Hobie 16 at the Slip to Ship Regatta this year, now that's hard core.

Note: no matter what age, an "old guy" is someone older than you!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Note: no matter what age, an "old guy" is someone older than you!
    I think your calling me old now man you old guys are cranky did they run out of ensure or something? Lol!
    Just messing with you guys should I change the title of my post I was really trying to pay the man a compliment maybe I came off cocky but that dude could sail circles around me!
  • QuoteNote: no matter what age, an "old guy" is someone older than you!
    I think your calling me old now man you old guys are cranky did they run out of ensure or something? Lol!
    Just messing with you guys should I change the title of my post I was really trying to pay the man a compliment maybe I came off cocky but that dude could sail circles around me!

Way to backpeddle... don't try to mask it... If your older than me (15 in my mind) you are an old fart .... !!!

PS, in my area most of the racers (Most) are 55+
    we have guys in there 70's who race regularly

:)

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.