Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hurricane Earl - Unstep Mast?  Bottom

• Should I unstep the mast on my Nacra 5.2. I'm located on the Eastern Bay, which is a 7 mile wide tributary which flows into the Chesapeake. Right now I have the boat tied to anchors I've screwed into the ground. The hurricane is not supposed to be too close. At what wind speeds is it a good idea to take the mast down?
  • I wouldnt, but i'd make sure everythings tied down..
    but you might want to, only because trees or other stuff could fall on the boat.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • I am not in NJ...I dont think anyone is at the marina...just tying down everything real good.
  • if you think there is any chance of a brush with earl get your boat away from the water, tidal surge is unbelieveable(katrina was a cat 3 when it hit mississippi coast and surge was over 30' in gulfport). looks like it will be in your neighborhood by tomorrow...get ready!!!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • it is my experience that a beach cat will pull out a 16" auger in sand in around 45-50mph gust.

i have seen tie down lines break in less than 35mph. make sure you use good line, not old worn line.

taking down the mast will reduce the chance of a cat being blown over.. but of course its your call.

I am currently near Atlantic City NJ, and they are predicting wind around 40mph. If it was me, i would take down the mast and reduce the chance of damage.
  • If you are taking down the mast and tying it down it may make sense to flip the boat and tie it down to prevent the tramp from catching wind. Those more experienced than me may have a reason not to but that would seem to make sense. Especially if Andrew has seen it break lines in as little as 35 mph winds.

Good Luck!! Hold on!!

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • Earl Cat 2 now.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • It akes less than 5 minutes to take down a mast, why would you even consider not taking it down?
  • If you are near the boat, I would take the few minutes it takes to drop the mast.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • we can sail faster than the speed of the wind... keep the mast up raise you sails and beat this thing icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin
    seriously though good luck

edited by: Kevin219, Sep 03, 2010 - 12:05 PM

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Thanks for all the info.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.