Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

painting  Bottom

• I'm painting my cat. Ive wet sanded it from 220 to 1500 its buttery smooth and shiny but you can see where the old stripes used to be. And i wanted to cover up some fiberglass repairs. I have the option of brush or spray gun. but the paint is really expensive. Ive found some marine paint as cheap as $100 per gallon. would a gallon even be enough? Or any ideas how i can bring back the original yellow? The traction on the top side of the hull comes off easy with sandpaper. how can i paint prep that without taking it off?

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • 2 quarts did my boat(2 coats sprayed). the discoloration from under the graphics may not ever be right...the sun has bleached out the exposed gel coat... i couldn't get mine to look good. no need to sand off the traction on the deck lids, make sure to wash the boat real good and scrub the lids with the green 3m scotch brite pads. the rest of the hulls sand again with 220 grit to scuff for paint(1500 grit is to slick for paint to stick to it). spraying will get better results(unless you run or sag it bad!). i used this paint high gloss finish, no primer required, turned out great!http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=72800&g2_check out my album in the members albums titled prindle 16 hull paint and repair, now is a good time to build up some glass on your keels!

--- Added by Damon ---
    Link to Paint Album http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=72641

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • ~~ I have a spot in the "Tech help gallery" ~~

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Petit EasyPoxy is another good marine paint. Roll on with foam roller then tip off bubbles with a foam brush. High gloss and flows out well.

--
    Mike Conway
    H16
    Hilton, NY
    --
  • popeyez knows paint! check out his galleries...

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • popeyez7~~ I have a spot in the "Tech help gallery" ~~

poeyez7, I can't locate your paint album, did you use a different username? Please link to it.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • thanks rat. say how deep did you go with those soft spot holes?

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • don't go through both layers of glass(glass on inside and outside of foam core), only need to go 1/4" into the foam core. start from the bottom and work up, it works great!

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • thanks again. and your boat looks great.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.