Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra and Portsmouth  Bottom

• I am a complete cat neophyte, and I come from a monohull one-design racing background. The boat I would like is an old Nacra that has gone by the wayside due to more modern machines; however, the price is right, and racing more than once or twice a year doesn't interest me.

Having said that, when I do race, I would like to sail the boat Portsmouth. I have read the rules on US Sailing for using Portsmouth, and it says the boat has to be class rules compliant to race. Yet, there are modifiers for sails that are square tops and for sails that are larger than standard (but not more than 5% larger as compared to the standard). So my question is can an old model Nacra use a sail that is not compliant with class rules (Nacra rules are very specific in stating that the sails must be built by an approved builder and be to the outline) and still sail Portsmouth in a regatta?

Thanks for your consideration and tolerance!

• "I have read the rules on US Sailing for using Portsmouth, and it says the boat has to be class rules compliant to race"

You can race DPN, except in one design (your boat) or formula events. There are no longer any class racing for the older Nacras so you will be fine with a non-class legal sail. The Nacra rules that you mentioned are for one design class racing, non-existent for the older Nacras.

Where do you live and what model Nacra?

edited by: mummp, Aug 27, 2010 - 04:36 PM

--
    Philip
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.