Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

boat ramps  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I use the pin from the ringding shackle pictured above thru the jib tack holder with that hook eye captured in the middle. I saw the low working load but thought there is not much load on that part of the sail with the zipper etc. just holds the bottom of the sail.

I noticed your pic and figured out that my jib hanger is attached on the face of the chainplate (with the single holes to the plate and the two holes forming sides pointing out to hang the jib). The whole chainplate etc is rotated 90 degrees (due to its attachment with the bridles). Do I have something wrong here? I'll see if I have a pic.

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • Kinda like this :
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76134&g2_GALLERYSID=db228b85e59d9ff794b22965e7888889

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • Gray,
    Put the bridle swags between the chainplate. The load on the pin should be balance on either side.

--
    Philip
    --
  • That's actually not my boat. Someone posted this in a previous thread. However, I will make sure mine is balanced when I raise the mast tomorrow. Thanks

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • Good advice Philip, that setup would result in a twisting force on the pin.
    Gray, ignore the advice I gave you, I just went back & looked closely at the NACRA manual, I do not have mine setup correctly. I have used it as it was when I bought it, but my jib hangar is bass ackwards!
    Attach your jib hangar as shown in the pic above, or Photo #38 in the old Nacra manual. (in the pic above, the hangar has fallen down, you would rotate it upwards 180* before attaching jib. Then forget the small bow shackle I show in my photo, the jib tack grommet goes between the two ears of the hangar, insert a pip pin,(detent pin or toggle pin with spring) no fuss, no hassle. I'm going to change mine tomorrow, & use a pin like one in the top left or bottom right of link below.
    Note: the holes in the jib hangar are probably worn, so detent pins as shown at top left may fall out, you would have to secure them with a zip tie, still way esier than ring dings.
    http://www.murrays.com/archive/31.pdf

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • So Ed the jib hanger in the picture is upside down?

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • This photo is correct, except that when connected it will be swiveled up.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76134&g2_GALLERYSID=db228b85e59d9ff794b22965e7888889

I use a regular screw shackle to attach the tack of the jib.
    http://content.westmarine.com/images/catalog/thumb/289960.jpg

edited by: skarr1, Aug 28, 2010 - 10:03 AM
  • Skarr is correct, the hangar has just fallen down. The pin that connects everything does not hold them tightly together, only a bolt & nut would do that. Once you remove the jib, & let go of the hangar it will swivel on the pin & fall to the position shown.
    That small bow shackle is what I am using now, easier than ring dings, as finger tight is OK.
    Gray wanted an easier way to attach the jib. The pin below offers one handed connections.
    Steve, how did you insert that little photo of the bow shackle? Do you have to go through the process of adding it to an album, then pasting the link, or is there a way to just copy a low res image & paste it to the post?
    http://www.cassellmarine.com.au/pictures/1837/3/1358353-1.jpg

edited by: Edchris177, Aug 28, 2010 - 11:13 AM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Disregard Steve, I just remembered a line Damon wrote somewhere about saying the image only had to reside on the web. Alzheimers is a wonderful thing!

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • What are these "beaches" that you speak of? We have water or rock and nothing in between. The nearest access is a boat ramp in a state park, at the end of a long narrow L-shaped channel. 90% of the time wind blows straight up the channel, so either going in or out, you're screwed. To make matters more fun, the lagoon is sheltered from the prevailing wind by a tall cliff about a mile away... eddies form around the cliff so gusts come from random directions out of relatively calm air.

I've been rigging everything on the trailer and hanking the sails on but not raising them before backing to the ramp. Sometimes I raise the jib in light air, or bungee-reef it if I'm too scared. Gotta raise the sails at the dock because the wind would blow me into the rocks on the other side of the channel before I could gain control, otherwise.

On rare occasions, the wind blows perpendicular to the dock. This is great overall, because it lets you reach up and down the river the long way, but I haven't found a graceful way of rigging in those conditions. Flying a hull at the dock is not too cool. Last time I tried it, I got the sails up, but as soon as I pushed clear of the dock, a gust came along and flew the boat entirely out of the water, onto the rocks. I actually ended up resting on the bows and the rudder tips, right next to my truck. (Gee, maybe if I act nonchalant, they'll think I did this on purpose...)

Another rule of docks is that nobody is around to see a perfectly executed docking maneuver, but a really bad one always has an appreciative audience. A couple of weeks ago, I made a perfect, first-try approach to the dock. I was gliding in perfectly, so released the sheets and scooted over to the dock side. I was actually reaching out to hand my painter to a friend on the dock... just as the guy in front of me gunned his zillion-horsepower motor to run up on his trailer. My H16 shot backwards out of the dock and clear across the lagoon, into the rocks on the far side. icon_mad
  • hear you loud and clear toddster, I have pretty much encountered all your problems and more. Went to Stockton Lake, SW Missouri a few week-ends ago, heard it was the premier sailing lake in MO,...... for yachts yaah! The problem with trying a new lake out 1st time is that it usually is a recce run, checking out the area. I went to the state park public access ramp, concrete and more concrete, ramp, floating jetty in center of ramp, narrow access channel, cove protected by floating jetty acting as a water break to protect those ??????dollar yachts.

Like you, I rig in the parking lot, everything except the sail, bungee-reef the sail, back down the ramp, unfasten boat from trailer, put boat in water, fasten boat to jetty horn-cleat using my trap bungee cord, (I keep 2-3 different bungees on the tramp for emergency use) park truck and trailer, walk back to jetty, raise mainsail standing in water on slime-encrusted slippery ramp. Because this cove was protected on a lee shore from the wind, onthis occasion, I was able to turn the cat around facing the lake, walk it out along the jetty and step onto the tramp like a pro, paddled out for a short distance untill I felt some wind, eased along the very narrow channel and squeezed out between the break-water jetty that is staggered making things even more difficult, before hitting the main channel and finding wind.

The roller furling jib setup has turned out to be such a bonus for this trailer-sailor, I would highly recommend this setup to all in similar sailing situation, went back to Stockton last week-end and HOLA! found a soft sandy beach, many strange emotions came over me which I later realized were feelings of joy, sailed up on the beach and enjoyed it immensely, rolled on the soft sand and sunbathed, contentment.

Had an awesome day sailing that day, wind 15 mph, just perfect for a solo sailor, was able to trap out the entire width of the lake, blasting past those ??????dollar yachts who all eyeballed me enviously as I zipped past at 3 times their speed, payback can be such a beautiful bee-yach.

icon_evil

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • I see you are selling that girlie boat & getting a real cojonnes ship icon_lol
    Solo on that 18 will be a whole bunch of fun. The only downside is you can't take advantage of all that power without another body hanging over the side.
    Seriously, if my wife wouldn't kill me for cluttering up the waterfront with yet another boat, I'd like to have a smaller Cat for soloing on days when the wind makes my 5.7 to much. I find that righting it solo more than once per sail gets tiring... hmmm maybe I should become a better sailor?
    I can go all day without tipping, if i power down & sail more conservatively, but the real fun is to go balls to the wall, torpedoes be damned! I used to take my little Invitation out in 50 clicks,(30 mph)& didn't care if I flipped 1/2 dozen times, righting was a non event. Maybe I should talk that old gent down the point into selling me his Hobie 17, I see it has furling jib & wings.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.