Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

boat ramps  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Who has experience launching (and recovering) a beachcat off a trailer from a conventional boat ramp? Advice welcome.

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • pretty simple...back in and drop it off or pick it up... actually i always got the mast in place prior to taking off trailer. just pull over to side out of peoples way, do what you need to do to get ready. make sure no wires overhead where you need to go. step mast, back into your spot on ramp, float boat off,either have someone hold it or pull it off to side and pull up on beach. pull trailer out and park it then proceed to getting sails up and everything ready. i used to be able to get my powerboat in or out of the water in less than 3 minutes...never understood someone taking 30 minutes to launch or take out a boat. is that what you were looking for?
  • I sailed for years at Davis Island next to down town tampa. I used the boat ramp all the time.

I agreed with above, do all the work you can in the lot before you back down the ramp (put on jib if you have a furler).

I would defiantly take crew for the first few times to hold the cat as you park the car/trailer.
  • Yes.
    I was the same way with my powerboat. We use to go to the public boat ramp with a folding chair and be entertained for hous watching people struggle.

There is no beach, therefore I guess I will be pulling it up to a dock after floating it off. I've never raised the sails while it is floating. I guess he jib will have to be done from the dock or would you do it on the trailer? It cai't be reached from the tramp.

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • no way to wade in at all? is there a beach within paddling distance? thinking maybe carry a small paddle to get to beach if you can't walk it. you coul dalways have everything rigged and hooked up so all you have to do is raise sails...that would suck to drop your shackles and pins in deep water. just rasinig them shouldn't be too awful bad while tied to a dock...never done it myself....

can't tell you how many trailers i backed in for people that couldn't get it. grab a chair and pop a top.. icon_biggrin
  • Launching from what amounts to a "strictly powerboat" public ramp where there is nothing but docks and concrete around is a not much fun, but it can usually be done.

Do you have clear sailing from the dock adjacent to the ramp out to open water? Describe the area around your boat ramp or marina and you'll get more tips.

Probably need to carry a paddle or two. In extreme cases, like launching from mega marinas in California where the beachcat sailors have little legal options, even outboard motors become popular options because there is no other way to get out to open water reliably.

I hate it when I'm forced to use a dock, it's a hassle but it can be done if necessary.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I have not been to ramp but it has been described to me as concrete and docks but there is clear sailing into a wide river/harbor (Charleston, SC) directly from the ramp. Getting it off the trailer and to the dock (with my paddle/walking/line) is less of a concern than raising sails once in the water. I will have a relative in a power boat lurking for assistance.

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • Damon,

you need to post something quick. Your "Post #" is 666!

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • This is the Primary reason I have yet to sail on the Great Salt Lake. I am 5 mins from the Marina but nothing but a steep ramp and docks inside and to exit you have to navigate a narrow L shaped Channel of huge built up boulders. I know all this is to protect the marina and boats from the waves during high winds as the shallow lake and high density of the water make for some some pretty powerful waves.

I talked to someone there who says he takes is hobie 20 out and he puts the sail up on the trailer but I am not comfortable with that. I am sure I could paddle out with crew but tricky alone to paddle steer and keep it off the rocks, but then I'd have to raise the main on the open water. I think I could do this if the wind is right and the rope was lubed good but still a pain.

Then when I come in I have to drop the main first maybe then paddle in. The problem with this is it is really easy for the boom and main to fowl the rudder control when they are not up.

I am thinking of making a Lazy-Jack for the boom so it can stay off the tramp and it will hopefully hold the main loosely on the boom with the top all ready in the rack with the halyard attached.

Kinda like this
    http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/29442385/sn/606466482/name/Hobie+Upgrades+001.jpg

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/29442385/sn/572400923/name/Hobie+Upgrades+003.jpg

edited by: Quarath, Aug 25, 2010 - 12:29 PM

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • gcamickGetting it off the trailer and to the dock (with my paddle/walking/line) is less of a concern than raising sails once in the water.

Do you have a furling jib, so it's just the main you need to raise?

You could try raising the main while sitting on the tramp while the boat is on the trailer to see how difficult it is.

I will have a relative in a power boat lurking for assistance.

That is good, I've launched from a marina deep down a creek leading to a main river channel and needed to be towed out by a jet ski, whatever it takes!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • damonAdminI hate it when I'm forced to use a dock, it's a hassle but it can be done if necessary.

Like BSC (recognize the boats?), everybody now just pulls the boats up on the dock. You have to launch down a slippery concrete steep ramp with only twenty feet between the two docks.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=18442&g2_serialNumber=6&g2_GALLERYSID=b59ec3bf2285b36f019a8a187783f32b

--
    Philip
    --
  • Docks are not as easy as a nice smooth beach, but can be done.
    This dock is in Key Largo and was worth the trouble. You can see that the Hooter and jib are already on the boat. The next morning the wind was coming from about 45 deg over the Starboard bow. We were able to get the main sail up. With the crew setting on the port bow and me on the stern, we pushed the boat to the end of the pier and were sailing.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=64898&g2_serialNumber=4&g2_GALLERYSID=8722f6183bfdbfff971a8a421836f791

On the dock at Birmingham Sailing Club.
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3253/2852380222_fd55cf498b_z.jpg
  • mummp
    damonAdminI hate it when I'm forced to use a dock, it's a hassle but it can be done if necessary.

Like BSC (recognize the boats?)

LOL, that's exactly what I was thinking about!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • QuoteYou could try raising the main while sitting on the tramp while the boat is on the trailer to see how difficult it is.

I have heard of boats being blown off of trailers doing this.
    Would not look good your boat laying across a ramp and all the power boaters getting mad about the delay.
  • I rig & launch from a dock every day. Hoisting sails while my 5.7 is on a modified seadoo lift would be a really bad idea. I lower the boat off the lift, then walk it around my powerboat, to a 20' dock extension I purpose built for the Cat this spring.
    The water is waist deep, & I cannot stand on the bottom & attach the jib, (this is the secondary reason for converting to roller furling). I lay an 8' length of 2x6 across the hulls, just behind where the bridal wires connect to the stay. I can then walk out, attach the jib shackle & start the zipper. If I have crew they can raise it while I zip. If not I have to be organized & pull halyard while zipping & trying to keep the sail out of the water. So far I have not lost any parts, or fallen in!
    In a good breeze the jib is flogging, & the orientation of the dock means that with our predominant winds, as soon as I tie the jib blocks on & take up the slack to stop the flogging it is pulling power. I have two purpose built lines with SS clips attached to the dock, & clip them to two shackles I have installed to the port side of the beams. This controls the boat while I hoist the main. Luckily most of our winds come from within 45* of the bows. Sometimes they are pushing the main against the shrouds, making it harder to raise. Rotating the mast inline with the sail helps. Once I sailed out on jib only, dropped the righting bag over as a sea anchor to keep head to wind, then raised the main. Attaching the S hook from the blocks to the main is the last thing I do. Leaving the sail free to swing is good. I learned this the hard way.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=75954&g2_serialNumber=4&g2_GALLERYSID=6442c54630fee96016c1f1a601186627
    Here is a photo just after rigging, seadoo lift is at bottom right

edited by: Edchris177, Aug 25, 2010 - 09:09 PM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Thanks for all the info guys.

Ed, lots of good info there. You answer another question I had - what's the best place on the boat to attach a dock line?
    Also I gave it a dry run at the house and promptly dropped the shackle pin for he jib in the water. Is there a better/safer pin/attachment for the jib?
    This is what i'm using:
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76074&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=db228b85e59d9ff794b22965e7888889

But I did manage to get both sails up (in little to no wind):

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76075&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=db228b85e59d9ff794b22965e7888889

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • Glad to see you managed it Gray. It becomes a real b.i.t.c.h. when the wind picks up, the docks are never aligned into the wind, & you get good at tying bowlines as the jib is trying to take your eyes out!
    None of the Cat builders will advise to tie a Cat up with anything other than than a harness to the bridal wires, & then only in extenuating circumstances.
    I certainly would not tie it to my dock in a storm, that's what the lift is for, but I have tied it up overnight in relatively calm conditions, & with the intelligent use of several softly inflated fenders, along with a full length dock rub strip. If you are allowed to push the Cat up onto the dock for the night as shown in several pictures that would always be my first choice.
    Those shackles with ring dings are a real PITA to use in situations such as attaching a jib, when you can't stand on dry land & are not required for that purpose. I use the following:
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=72065&g2_serialNumber=4&g2_GALLERYSID=71462061b1bc49c252d676ea8765154a
    See the small shackle connected to the tang that you attach the jib tack to? It has a bit os sticky stuff from duct tape on the threads, just turn it finger tight & it will never come loose. Attached to that is what hooks onto the head of the jib. it is a shackle with a captive spring loaded pin.
    Here are a couple of links to that part, they are only a few bucks, but have to be installed at the top of the halyard with a swaged ball, you may already have this on your boat.
    http://www.saltydogmarine.com/product_info.php?cPath=228&products_id=2956

I had to come back home for a birthday party, but am going back to my lake house tomorrow. If this is not clear, I'll take a photo & PM it to you.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Ed,
    I have that spring loaded shackle like yours for the head (top) of the jib. The ring-ding shackle that connects to the jib tack is the piece that I struggle with. I bought a ss version of a snap hook (see pic) to attach to the tack (bottom) of the jib.
    http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/woeimages/hardware/large/13424.jpg

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • Murrays makes a part for quick connect/disconnect, but I think it is about $35.
    How do you connect that SS clip to the jib hangar on the chainplate? That clip looks like what I use for clipping to the dock, but I think the packaging listed a very low working load, only 300 lb, so I use it with caution.
    Ring dings are a pain, so I only use them on parts that don't come apart often, or can't fail parts like shrouds & stays. So far, the small bow shackle works for hanging the jib,it can be undone with fingers.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.