Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

My first time for salt water self rescue...  Bottom

• Well I had a new experience today. Had the pleasure of being invited by a great guy (that I met off the Surfside sail facebook site for a local group) to crew on an H16 in the gulf. Awesome time - but not my first time launching through surf or being off shore. Winds were fairly strong with 4+ foot chop (the swells were steep and wave set was close). We recovered nicely from a few "almost" blowover's and then got caught in mid recovery by a wave and it put us over the edge. I had been trapped out and first thing that happens - hook gets caught on the tramp lace - I help the boat go almost turtle...great :). We get the boat quickly to wind and bam she comes up...and over again. Missed the striker :(. From there it was an all out struggle for us to get the boat back into the wind. We were quickly losing strength from the chop and we're losing our footing pretty regularly too. After a series of failed attempts with breath catching we finally get her up and cling to the striker. We get our dead butts back up and to the shore we go...to the surf. Good stuff. I have a new respect for self rescues in big water conditions. We were over for a good 20 minutes, all sails loose, sealed mast, and 370# of ahem "righting moment" between us. It was a great reminder of expenditure of energy. The more energy it takes to get the boat back, the less you have to get back on and do your job. We had friends sailing in the area, spotters on shore, so we didnt feel in jepoardy. Just quite tired! Just thought I'd share a sail story...Been too dang long since I've had one. Now THATS a problem! icon_biggrin

edited by: turtlecat, Aug 22, 2010 - 10:49 PM
  • the gulf has been angry these past 3 weeks...it will smack you down sometimes! those summer squals pop up out of nowhere then WHOOOSHHH!!!! ain't it grand!!!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • This is why I use the Bethwaite ball & socket system on my daughters & my cats trapeze system. Several people have died over the years hooked on tramp lacing on turtled cats. Pete
  • Good word "pete". I was not aware of this system. Did a quick check and for about $130 you can get the connector and spreader bar. Thank you.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • Culley sounds like you got the complete tour of the 10 Mile spot. I flipped my 5.5 twice out there last weekend it is tiring fighting the boat back up but swimming back is even more tiring trust me on that one! As you said you were in the right place we have a good group who really watches out for each other at Surfide everyone monitors channel 68 on the VHF radios and we tend to sail in the same direction. Glad you made it back to 10 Mile hopefully you will bring that 6.0 next trip!!
  • :) It was grand! Good people, good wind...

Oh the ball socket system - yeah that was the first thought through my head as I felt like velcro man..

That Nacra needs to come out and play soon...

• Nice! Glad you found the spot.
  • As the other party envolved in this outing, I too should look into that ball in socket system. I sure was glad you were with me, Turtlecat. I would of been in real trouble without you. It was my first time to the "10 Mile" spot and I have to admit this is a great bunch of people. I felt welcome from the moment I arrived as if I knew these guys my whole life. I can't wait to go back this weekend. icon_cool
  • HA! GW, There you are brother! I guess I should continue at this point about me dangling in the water - trying to get the boat to wind - remaining calm and keeping the boat within reach always...when we get back on board Good ole GW decides to let me know how big the freakin' Mako's are cruisin the coastline...tells me how they will just bite any thing to see if its edible...GREAT! lol.

The 10-mile group is awesome - Hope your weekend sail is a good one! Looking forward to our next outing!
  • Well I couldn't mention it while we were in the water. The potential panic might of caused more splashing in the wateer and potentially attraattracted one of those bad boys. They prefer surfers anyways. We were good. A true learning experence though. Can't wait till next time.
  • QuoteThey prefer surfers anyways

Just make sure you don't wear Seal flavored sunscreen!

PS the ball systems can also get you tangled / caught up in rigging (although much less likely than a hook), but will prevent you from being able to use a regular system (if you crew on another boat)... not that big a deal to swap out back to a hook.

This is all a good reason to carry a knife on your person.
  • Hey good point there Andrew. I didn't have my knife on me - though I usually have it on the pfd. GW might have been a little peeved if I had started to hack away at his brand new tramp :)
  • turtlecat GW might have been a little peeved if I had started to hack away at his brand new tramp :)

I think if you reached that point you would be happy to buy him a new tramp and estatic about the knife you purchase!Lol!!
    It is funny we chose to put ourselves in these spots on purpose I have never really though twice about heading back out even after I had to swim to shore and the CG totaled my 5.5 I was out at sea again within a week or two! :)

edited by: fa1321, Aug 25, 2010 - 09:53 PM
  • QuoteI had to swim to shore and the CG totaled my 5.5 I

please elaborate
  • they also so systems that are the standard hook on a quick release.

you pull a little handle (like an inflator on a air powered pfd) and the entire hook/square slides/pushes out of the harness
  • andrewscott
    QuoteI had to swim to shore and the CG totaled my 5.5 I

please elaborate
    Its on this website somewhere but basically I got thrown off my boat by a BIG wave and the North Wind used my tramp as a sail and blew my boat away so fast my only choice was to swim in to shore my wife called the coast gaurd and by the time we got to my boat and tried to sail it back against a strong North wind the CG got tired of waiting for us to get it back and told my buddy to get in the CG boat and they would tow my boat back but the way they secured it to thier boat it was destoyed from being pounded on the side of the CG boat.If you can avoid it never get towed back by the CG they do not even have to do it they are not required to rescue boats just to save lives so unless your in real trouble do not call them I had my VHF radio on my tramp and not on me so my wife did not know I was ok and after 20 minutes of watching my boat floating further out to sea she called the CG but its my fault for not wearing my VHF now I never sail without on my pfd.

edited by: fa1321, Aug 26, 2010 - 10:08 AM
  • good lessons in there, thanks for repeating it.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.