Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Harness Recommendations  Bottom

• I am looking into a new harness.
    What type of harness would you recommend?

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • what are your needs? casual inshore? long distance racing? ocean racing?
  • andrewscottwhat are your needs? casual inshore? long distance racing? ocean racing?

All of them.

edited by: TylerH, Aug 16, 2010 - 08:39 PM

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • I really love the Dakine Speed Seat, easy to adjust and very comfy!!

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thanks, where would i buy this from?
    ill take a look at it.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • its mostly about what fits and works for you but in general:

for ocean and distance racing you will probably want a full harness with shoulder straps and back support. these races can mean hours on the wire and in a poor fitting or uncomfortable harness it can make it "not fun"

for inshore casual sailing you probably wont wear a harness.. or be on the wire for more than an hour and you can get away with a 1/2 harness

you can / should go to a sailing store (hobie dealer, or other) that has a variety of harnesses and try a few dozen on... hopefully they will have a wall to hang off... and i would suggest you hang for at least 15 minutes to make sure the 1-$200 you are gonna drop isn't gonna pinch your skin, or worse. Once you wear it on the water, it will be used and many places wont take a return. you may want to ask other locals what they use and ever try them on.

You can also try surf shops but they will have kite board gear only (typically)

if you know what you want you can order from Murrays.com or catsailor.com

i am on my 3rd Murrays 1/2 race harness and dont care for it much but havent found better

i hear the new hobie convertible is very good..
  • andrewscottits mostly about what fits and works for you but in general:

for ocean and distance racing you will probably want a full harness with shoulder straps and back support. these races can mean hours on the wire and in a poor fitting or uncomfortable harness it can make it "not fun"

for inshore casual sailing you probably wont wear a harness.. or be on the wire for more than an hour and you can get away with a 1/2 harness

you can / should go to a sailing store (hobie dealer, or other) that has a variety of harnesses and try a few dozen on... hopefully they will have a wall to hang off... and i would suggest you hang for at least 15 minutes to make sure the 1-$200 you are gonna drop isn't gonna pinch your skin, or worse. Once you wear it on the water, it will be used and many places wont take a return. you may want to ask other locals what they use and ever try them on.

You can also try surf shops but they will have kite board gear only (typically)

if you know what you want you can order from Murrays.com or catsailor.com

i am on my 3rd Murrays 1/2 race harness and dont care for it much but havent found better

i hear the new hobie convertible is very good..

Hmm, thanks..i might go with the convertible harness.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • I have the murray's 1/2 race and find the dakine to be more durable and comfortable. I agree with andrew if you are going to be out for long periods of time you will likely want a full harness. I haven't used thier harnesses but I like anything made by Zhik (available from APSLTD.com). I have a set of thier padded deckbeater shorts and wouldn't sail without them!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Yeah, im going with the murry's 1/2 race.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • i have heard GREAT things about the zhic harness.

the dakine ones have a very loyal following.. i tried a few on and didnt love the fit nor all the heavy duty velcro involved in putting them on.

• Yeah, my friend has dakine.
    he dosent really like it.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • I like the magic marine. Why don't you go to Key Sailing and try a few on. He has the magic marine and hobie stuff.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Dave,
    The Dakine is a wind surfing harness correct? But you are saying it works OK for you? DO you use a windsurfing spreader too or sailing specific spreader? Or is there a difference? I'm a harness noob.

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • Windsurfing seat type harnesses are essentially the same as the trap harnesses for cats. There are probably some differences with the really high end ones just because the angles are a little different but I found that the Murray's race half harness was actually less comfortable than my Dakine speadseat. It is really a personal fit thing though so you are better off trying a few out if possible (it wasn't for me so I ended up buying 3 different types before I found the one I like best).

The sailing guys probably got the idea from the wind surf guys. The windsurfing belt harnesses are not suitable. Ideally you would want a full harness for the most comfort and to spread the load better but for the price and for sport sailing the half harnesses work well.

You should use a sailing specific spreader, using a windsurfing spreader will likely dump you in the drink. I actually use the RWO quick release spreader in case I get hung up but that is probably overkill for most people (i got a really good deal on a pair).

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Wolfman
    You should use a sailing specific spreader, using a windsurfing spreader will likely dump you in the drink. I actually use the RWO quick release spreader in case I get hung up but that is probably overkill for most people (i got a really good deal on a pair).

Little ignorant here... what's a spreader?
  • The bit with the hook on it. Usually about 10" wide with a hook in the middle.
    Here is a basic one that is traditionally used http://www.murrays.com/mm…_Code=C-TR&Store_Code=MS

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Thanks. Still learning terms.
  • No worries, I still call half the stuff 'that thingee over there'. That and there are at least 3 things referred to as spreaders on a boat.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.