Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H 17?? Nacra 5ish?? .. Bigger Boat??? Help !!  Bottom

• NOT a racer !! Love to single!! Want to kick my son's ass on his nacra 5.8.. (Stay on the same water) Been Looking at used H 17's and Nacra 5.0 ish used.. Ideas??? I am olde (70) Sailed for 25+years Hobie 16s and 18s. Just got (for free) a Nacra 5.7 that needs work. Looks too big for me alone (No Spin..) (Needs some work and sails, daggers ect) No problem there.. Great shape hull wise.. Probably never race.. Lots of H 17 (jib /no jib) available used her in CA.. A few Nacra 17s. (worried about parts) Sheet her in .. Love the hear what ya have to say.. H

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • If you have the cash go for a Nacra Inter 17sl otherwise to keep up or smoke 5.8 on a 17 will be tough. A Prindle 18-2 with a furler on the jib might work since center boards are much easier to deal with when solo and if the wind kicks up furl the jib to depower some but its allot of boat but so is a 5.8 But the Nacra Inter 17 would be my best guess and unless you use the spinnaker he might still beat you down wind with that monster jib on the 5.8 Good Luck!

edited by: fa1321, Aug 13, 2010 - 11:28 PM
  • halliske Love to single!! Want to kick my son's ass on his nacra 5.8..

...I am olde (70) Sailed for 25+years Hobie 16s and 18s.

At 70 and want to single hand you are the perfect demographic for an A-Class Cat, assuming you weigh less than 175 and have plenty of money.

The A-Class cats weigh about 170 pounds and have very lightweight masts and just a main sail.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • halliske Love to single!! Want to kick my son's ass on his nacra 5.8..

By the way, Welcome to TheBeachcats.com!

Also, if you get an A-Class cat you'll have no problem putting a horizon job on your son. icon_cool

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • The Nacra 5.7 doesn't have daggers, it's boomless & boardless, good for us old fellas. Mine scares the hell out of me at times. The 570 is a newer version, BUT the main problem I see is that you are trying to kick a.s.s. on a kid 30 years younger. I can kick my daughters a.s.s. on a sailboat, because she doesn't know how to sail. I hang her & a friend in their little string bikinis off the wire of my 5.7 for a good time, & tell them "chix dig Nacras" (any anti chauvinists in the crowd, send your complaints directly to MUMMP)but she is a natural athlete & if she really wanted to take up Beachcats, I would lose.
    I know this because I teach downhill skiing at an advanced level, (hey in Canada we don't farm oranges & we get that white slippery stuff for as long as we get to sail each year.) The daughter was a high level alpine racer, & I couldn't beat her on slalom or GS after she was 14.
    It might be a blow to the ego, but the words, " face it Dad, I'm better, & you're only getting older" are the painful truth.
    You're only weapons are the discounts in meals, & the fact that you can do really weird things in public, dress in the manner of any decade before the '80s, & pretend to be deaf when it benefits your agenda.
    So, buy the fastest damn boat in the water, then sail the course backwards, protest EVERYONE for EVERY reason, but smile, laugh, & enjoy life, they will love you, & buy beer! I know this, I watched an uncle who was 104, he didn't sail, but the metaphor was true.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.