Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Need a teacher?  Bottom

• Hey

I am totally new to the sport and live in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Is there anyone nearby who might be able to help me learn to rig and sail my new boat. Wanting to meet some new friends and learn how to sail.

I recently "out of the blue" purchased a used Prindle 16 in great shape and really want to get it in the water. I am currently reading the owners manual and hope to follow step by step on how to rig the boat. Then I need to learn how to sail. As with most sporting activities the learning curve is much quicker if you have a teacher.

Is anybody out there? Any tips and useful info would be greatly appreciated. I plan on using the boat sailing off of the beach and in the bays and lakes in our area. I have read here that learning off of the beach is not recommended and I should first try to sail on a lake. Help! I am committed to learning the sport. It looks like way to much fun not to participate.

David.
  • Congratulations on your new boat! You will love it. I live in Memphis but sail at Debordieu, SC when we come to the beach. I wish I was there now sailing off the coast.

There is a Hobie Dealer in Myrtle. Sail and Ski Connection. Two things you may try if no one bounces back here. They have a sailing school for cats. Or, I am sure some of the sales guys there would go or know some of their customer who can take you out.

I bought my first cat Hobie 18 in early June. I went on about 5 trips to local lakes. Then during the week of July 4th I launched and sailed at Debordieu (Debbie Doo) all week. It was a blast! Got a lot of good advice from Damon and others for launching and landing. You will love it.

Keep us posted.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • http://www.hobiecat.com/c…ewtopic.php?f=19&t=21325

Here are some guys from North Myrtle who may be able to help. At least this looks like a great description of places to launch. Good Luck.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • David

Welcome, here u can learn a lot just by reading and posting, went to Myrtle Beach last Dec, trailered my cat down from MO, drove through a snowstorm that dumped 2 ft of snow in the Appalachians. Arrived in MB and temps dropped down to mid 40's, problem was finding a launch spot, if you've got beach-wheels or cat-trax, no problem, lots of beach access where you could wheel your cat down to the water-line, I have no beach-wheels.

But you're right, if you have no experience in sailing then your best bet is to hang out with some other cat sailors, just do a web search and see what u come up with. I never got the chance to get my cat in the water, temps stayed in the 40's and water temp was not much warmer.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • I have a Prindle 18 which is pretty similar in rigging and would be glad to help answer any question that I could over the internet. Not close enough to get down and sail with you however. I got my Prindle this year and have loved it. Plan to go out tommorrow as forecast is for 15+ knot winds.

Scott Poulton
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.