Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H18 Trailer Roller replacement  Bottom

• I'd like to replace the rollers on my H18's trailer with something more Cat friendly, maybe 2x6's covered wtih astroturf? Got any better ideas?

TIA
    KK
  • I did that with mine... 2x10's & 2x4's on the sides so it won't slide off........... I used old carpet I had laying around.... I learned a lesson~~ snow weight on my 17, had the rollers crusch into the hulls. icon_rolleyes

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • how about PVC, for a H18 you would need 12" - 16" diameter PVC, 2'long, cut length in half, so you have 2 pieces, then split those 2 pieces in half leaving you with 4 half-moon hull cradles. Attach to trailer using lag-bolts, bolts with a shallow concaved head, once attached to trailer cover bolt heads with silicone and then glue carpet to the inside of the PVC, carpet covers bolt heads and allows for sliding surface when wet. No more metal parts to gouge your gel-coat

PVC in different thicknesses can be obtained at your local plumber supply store>

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Rick White mentioned converting his cat trailers into flatbeds using marine grade plywood, covered in carpet. the entire thing was then usable for moving cats, dogs, people, hey and hay.

I always kinda liked that idea
  • My trailor just has 2x10s covered in outdoor carpetting. There are also 2 rollers at the back to help get the cat on and off, but they are far enough back that the hulls don't sit on the rollers after the cat is loaded on.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Found some good threads in the Hobie forum that "Idahosailer" posted on the PVC idea. He even heated the PVC in his oven (slowly and at I think about 210F) to soften them and then put them on the upside down hull to form fit. Covered in indoor/outdoor carpet.

I tried to find 10" PVC with no luck at local stores. Only option was to buy a 20' piece for a lot of cash. Just decided to buy the trailer cradles from Hobie for $170. Use these on front and rollers in the rear.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --

• QuoteFound some good threads in the Hobie forum that "Idahosailer" posted on the PVC idea. He even heated the PVC in his oven (slowly and at I think about 210F) to soften them and then put them on the upside down hull to form fit. Covered in indoor/outdoor carpet.

I tried to find 10" PVC with no luck at local stores. Only option was to buy a 20' piece for a lot of cash. Just decided to buy the trailer cradles from Hobie for $170. Use these on front and rollers in the rear.

Call plumbers around your area... i got 4 feet of 10" FREE icon_cool

edited by: presto99, Jul 29, 2010 - 05:15 PM

--
    Jeff
    Houston TX
    1986 Hobie 18 Sail# 13031
    --
  • CatSassI'd like to replace the rollers on my H18's trailer with something more Cat friendly, maybe 2x6's covered wtih astroturf? Got any better ideas?

TIA
    KK

Actually with a Hobie 18 even the single rollers are not a problem, unless you are planning on allowing snow to acumulate!

But upgrading your single rollers to doubles will nicely spread the load and also make loading unloading easier.

Here is a pic of mine, I have them front and back.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=35060&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • The trailer to my red boat had the full length carpet covered 2x10's. I loved that trailer. It also had full length 2x4's for guides. Sailors were always sitting on them as they make a perfect park bench at the regattas when the boat is off the trailer.

Now the real beauty . . . you did not tie the boat down. just limiter straps to prevent forward/aft movement.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Hi All
    Thanks for the info. I like the idea of double rollers, are they from the trailer company? (I haven't a clue who made my trailer, there aren't any stickers as far as I can see).No problem with snow accumulation here in Tallawhacky.
    There is some "repaired" PO damage to one of the hulls right above the rollers, so I want to do something. I'm leaning toward the 2x8 or 10 with carpet idea so far. Pics would be great!

KK
  • Quicke Update.. It is a MagicTrail by MagicTilt, I had to crawl under the damn thing to provide y'all with that info, hope you appreciate my effort. Gonna try and find the double rollers to see how much they cost.

KK

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.