Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Researching Catamarans In The 16-18' Range, Anyone Know About Ocean Cat 18?  Bottom

• Hello everybody! Joe here from Vegas, I'm a former jetskier (sorry sorry) icon_lol and now that gear is sold and I'm looking for my first cat. I've been sailing a couple of times on a Prindle 16 and have had a blast both times.

I thought I had it narrowed down to a Prindle 16 to buy but now I see this ad for an Ocean Cat 18 on craigs but I can't really find anything about it. Anyone know about this boat?

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/1849612983.html
  • That looks to me like a Hobie 18. It is a great, popular boat. For that price, it's a good deal too if it's in decent condition.

--
    AJ Sawyer
    Nacra 20
    San Diego, CA
    --
  • SawyerajThat looks to me like a Hobie 18. It is a great, popular boat. For that price, it's a good deal too if it's in decent condition.

+1 Does look like a Hobie 18
  • fullsailHello everybody! Joe here from Vegas, I'm a former jetskier (sorry sorry) ...

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/1849612983.html

Like they said, Hobie 18, excellent choice. For that money better buy it quick before someone else on here does. The Sails alone could be worth $800 if they are in good shape.

That is not a 1981 sail number, so the sails might be a lot newer (or older) than the boat. But for that price just make sure that all the major parts (daggerboards, rudder system, sails and rigging) are there and there are no major spongy soft areas of the hulls. Heck even if the hulls are trashed you can sell the rest here for more than $800.

Some of the best bargains come from someone selling something and not describing it properly. Reminds me of a buddy that bought a nearly new Hobie Tiger for $6,000 (when they were going for $12,000 because the owner described it on eBay as simply a "20 foot sailboat".

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Its a Hobie 18 for sure, and its a good deal at that. However, unless you will be sailing with a crew, this isn't the best boat to start off with (its big, can be overpowering for a new sailor). But, that being said, for $800...you could grow into it. Hell, I would jump all over it if I were closer icon_wink

• Just looked a little closer at the pics of it, and I spy a comptip mast, which means the mast has either been upgraded, or is much newer than 1981. (Comptip upgrades are now running at $695.25)--ouch

So this boat is basically a steal for $800.
  • Great stuff, now if only the seller would answer his phone.......

LOL!
  • fullsailGreat stuff, now if only the seller would answer his phone.......
    LOL!

Just hope the seller doesn't read this thread before you can buy it. icon_lol

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • QuoteJust hope the seller doesn't read this thread before you can buy it.

+1....I doubt it though icon_wink
  • I think for a noobie this boat is too much for me and I will be going solo so this thing is up for grabs for whoever wants it......

I'm set on a Prindle 16 and need to stay focused..... icon_lol
  • the only thing you will regret about the prindle 16 is sellin it. rock solid boat, easy as pie to deal with, solo sailing no problems!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.