Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Newbie here from Mobile AL with a few questions.  Bottom

• As stated I am new to the sailboat scene and have just bought a 2007 Hobie Getaway as our (me, my wife and 3yo daughter) first sailboat. I have never been sailing but I have been on the water my entire life with a fuel burner behind me. Now that I have bought the boat I have read that there is really no where on Mobile bay to launch unless you have a beach dollie. My question is how do you get the boat from the trailer on to the beach dollie then to the water? Also is this a good boat to begin with. I bought it from a local that has used it maybe 10 times for $2500 including the trailer. It is in excellent shape, I hope I did not pay too much being I had no idea what I was looking at. Is there any good articles or write ups online to teach me the basics of sailing? I look forward to getting on the water with it next weekend if the weather permits. Thanks in advance for your inputs and I look forward to spending more time on this forum. icon_biggrin

edited by: av8erdunn, Jul 18, 2010 - 04:52 PM
  • Awesome stuff! Welcome aboard. You got an excellent deal for such a new boat! Getaways are very stable and easy to sail so it was a great choice for a starter boat!

One easy thing for a beginners primer is to pick up a book. Catamaran Racing for the 90s is the Bible for catamaran sailors but isn't a basic book.

My favorites intro books are:

Catamaran Sailing from Start to Finish by Phil Berman
    http://www.amazon.com/Cat…ks&qid=1279490935&sr=8-1

and
    The Catamaran Book by Brian Phipps
    http://www.amazon.com/Cat…ks&qid=1279490935&sr=8-8

You should also try and get in touch with a local catamaran fleet or club if there is one. It's much quicker to learn how to sail from someone in person than from a book. A local hobie dealer can usually point you in the right direction.

As for getting the boat from the trailor to the water. My understanding is that you can just setup the beach wheels behing the trailor and pull it onto them so that the hulls drop onto the wheels at about the balance point (where the shrouds attache to the hulls). But since I haven't done it myself other people can probably provide better advice.

edited by: Wolfman, Jul 18, 2010 - 06:18 PM

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thanks for the reply. I am going to my local library tomorrow and picking up Catamaran Sailing from Start to Finish by Phil Berman. Luckily they have it in stock. I placed an ad on craigslist a few minutes ago wanting to trade some training for me taking them flying and I have had three people in 30 minutes wanting to take me up on the offer. I am looking forward to making this a nice family sport if I can teach my wife once I learn. Hey I guess anythings possible right. Just kidding she is a quick learner.
  • If you will fly me from Tuscaloosa I will teach you how to sail.http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules/pn_bbsmile/pnimages/smilies/icon_eek.gif

I put the my boat together on the trailer. I have heard about boats being blown off trailers with the sails up, so I save the sails to after it is on the beach. If I am launching from a ramp that has a beach close by, just paddle to the beach. You don't need to put the trailer bearings under water. The boat is light that you can slide it into the water with out floating it off the trailer. This saves lots of wheel bearing work.

You will find that a sail and air plane wing have a lot in common.

edited by: skarr1, Jul 18, 2010 - 06:52 PM
  • av8erdunnAs stated I am new to the sailboat scene and have just bought a 2007 Hobie Getaway

Hello and welcome to the site, you've made good choice for your first beachcat, and yes it was a good deal.

You don't need beach wheels if you launch from a ramp, but if you need to move the boat down to the water without the trailer you will.

Go ahead and fill out your profile (link in the main menu) so we can get to know you and you can have a cool signature and avatar!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Congrats on your boat.Check your personal messages, I can show you how to set up get out and get back in. There is a spot you can beach launch with no cat trax. Call me,

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • That is a great deal on a barely used Getaway and trailer. Here in Florida they go for $3500 - $5000. The Cat Trax are a life saver when it comes to moving the boat around. Once you get the boat balanced you can move it around by yourself (or your wife can help if she wants). You can just slide the boat off the trailer and onto the Cat Trax (or into the grass). Getaways are easy to set up and sail and are pretty forgiving as far as cats go. For the basics on sailing you can get "Sailing for Dummies" by JJ and Peter Isler. Its not cat specific but does go over the basics pretty well. I agree with Dave, the best way to learn is with someone who already knows how. Before my Hobie 16 I had only sailed a Sunfish as a kid. Our local "Hobie World Champ" gave me a 1 hour set up and sail lesson and I have been good to go ever since. Enjoy the boat, you'll love it.
  • You should be jailed for grand theft sailboat for that deal! icon_biggrin

We bought a Getaway earlier this year after many years away from sailing. Luckily, we met another family with a Getaway, and they helped us get started - hopefully someone will be able to help you too. We've managed to sail without help since, although having another crew around is more fun, anyway.

I recommend that you pick your weather carefully. Our first day of sailing/learning was in 7-10mph winds and it was perfect. Last weekend we ventured out in 20+ mph wind and it's a whole different ballgame for beginners. My 9 yr-old son got a little scared, but a long, easy reach back to the beach calmed him down enough that he's ready to go back out.

Enjoy your new boat and time with the family!

• Not only did you buy the perfect cat for a family, but also the perfect cat for a new sailor. As mentioned above, read up on cat sailing, and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions here. Many old salts frequent these forums.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.