Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

"Felix" the (Unknown) Cat  Bottom

• Just bought an old Cat on a trailer. 4m loa 2m beam 7m mast. Dagger boards and 2 part alloy mast. Single main, no jib.
    The only ID are 2 small plates with "Felix" on them and a picture of a cat with its tail up!

Pictures at
    https://www.thebeachcats.…pictures?g2_itemId=74509

Anybody got any idea what this is? Its in the UK and all help will be welcomed. icon_confused
  • I don't recognize if from the description, but would like to see pictures. Does the sail have a logo?

Please create an album for the boat in the "Unknown Beachcats" album inside "Beachcats Identification" here.
    https://www.thebeachcats.…436&g2_highlightId=74509

Once the pictures are up someone will probably figure it out.

Thanks,

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Pics up in the appropriate Album! now I need to see what to spend money on?
  • Wow, now that's something really different.
    Everyone look at the Felix album here
    http://thebeachcats.com/i…pictures&g2_itemId=74509
    The pic from the back looks like two windsurfers bolted together.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=74522

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Looks very interesting, I have no idea what it is but should make for an interesting sail. Hopefully you have all the pieces and parts and can get it out on the water soon.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Wow, first thing I would do is look into something other than a poly gill net for a tramp! That would hurt!

Otherwise it looks pretty cool! Put it together the best you can and see what she can do!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Are there any numbers/letters stamped into the transom? They may be faint or nearly painted/gelcoated over.
    Number 1 Sails seems to still be in business, try calling/sending pics of the sail with signature, he might still work there.

Number One Sails
    New Road
    Middlestown
    Wakefield
    West Yorkshire
    WF4 4NS

Tel: 01924-274073

edited by: Edchris177, Jul 06, 2010 - 12:19 AM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • That has to be the weirdest looking cat I've ever seen--it should be pretty fast down wind!

I see it has a tramp on it, but does it (can it) open up with telescoping beams? It looks like the mast base actually rotates on the front beam?
  • I have now had a quick look at it and there seem to be a few things missing and it all looks a bit confused.

I telescoped the hulls and the beams do not seem to be fixed. The mast does indeed rotate with the front beam. The beams slide in to a glassed in tube and there appears to be a mounting-pin hole on the top of the fixed tube near the outside edge, on the top. Unfortunately if you pin the front beam the mast is horizontal! Maybe that is just a transport hole for use on the trailer? The rear beam, which the main-sheet mounting fixed centrally, has no fixings at all and just sits in the glassed in fixed tube. This, effectively makes the tramp a structural component and all that is holding the 2 hulls together when sailing! Is this right?

It has a 7 metre, 2 part "Jack Holt" Mast with a fixed track and 3 mounting tags about 2.5 metres up from the base. The boom is just a "push-on" tube with a couple of mounting tags below. Presumably they hold the main-sheet and the one at the front perhaps some form of down-haul/boom-vang? Doesn't appear to be any mounting. There is also no out-haul so I am presuming the sail is loose-footed, battened and perhaps takes the mainsheet directly with the boom just holding shape?
    Too wet to get the sail out in the garden so that will be the next stage.

There are a pair of rear-stays that fit to the mast tabs and mount just forward of centre on the hulls and also there is a mount on the tip of each hull, presumably this will need a split stay that runs into a single, with bottle screw adjustment, that then runs to the 3rd front tab on the mast. Got a bit of nylon rope and a pully doing that job, just for now!

Thanks for all the help.

DanBergerThat has to be the weirdest looking cat I've ever seen--it should be pretty fast down wind!

I see it has a tramp on it, but does it (can it) open up with telescoping beams? It looks like the mast base actually rotates on the front beam?

• I would call:
    Number One Sails
    Phone: 01924 274073
    Fax: 01924 274073
    Address: New Road, Middlestown, Wakefield, West Yorkshire, WF4 4NS

--
    Philip
    --
  • mummpI would call:
    Number One Sails
    Phone: 01924 274073
    Fax: 01924 274073
    Address: New Road, Middlestown, Wakefield, West Yorkshire, WF4 4NS

Good Point Philip!

And ask to speak to someone name
    D Greeves
    or
    D'Greaves
    or something like that, he signed your sail.

Then don't forget to come back and report what you find.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • That's exactly what I suggested...yesterday icon_biggrin

This has a "cat" on the sail that looks like Felix

http://lowprice.ca/topcat_catamaran_sailboat_ottawa_9bza

edited by: Edchris177, Jul 06, 2010 - 11:52 PM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • good find EC

more on the canadian topcat here

http://www.iboats.com/Vandestadt_&_McGruer__Topcat__1981/bp/64b159611r1
  • Already tried to contact Number One Sails.
    Their phone number does not accept incoming calls!!!? I have faxed them but so far no reply.

Asked a nice lady at the RYA if she can track the sail number.

Hopefully the wind will drop today and allow me to get the sail up for a look. I will then be able to assess what I need to get it sailing.

Karl icon_eek

• Since the boat is UK manufactured, why not try to reach a seasoned beachcat dealer in the UK who has been around awhile? They might know of this boat. You might also try a British forum.

--
    Philip
    --
  • I'm not sure we can say for certain that it was built in the UK, though the sail was for sure. It may not be an original sail.
    TopCat Europe made a boat that sounds very much like this one in Germany.
    In 1975-77 two Germans built a "boat that was simply plugged together", & had dimensions matching this one. They produced 60 from 77-79, then moved hull production to Italy, but kept HQ in Germany.
    The idea of asking around at cat dealers with history might be a good bet.

edited by: Edchris177, Jul 08, 2010 - 04:55 PM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Bumping a very old post! I am researching a 'new to me' 1970s Sussex Cob sailing dinghy mfg by the
    Pearson Bros. Ltd. Arundel Sussex UK. While researching, I ran across an archived article post from NYT Jan 23, 1970 titled 'British Accents Take Charge of 'Boatyard' on Fourth Floor'. Under the Pearson Bros. Ltd. bullet; PEARSON BROS., LTD. — The Felix catamaran, the Bonito single‐handed racing dinghy and the Bobbin nine‐foot sailing dinghy, all fiberglass cartoppers, are entered. This reference to the Felix Catamaran may be this elusive cat. As there is very limited information on the Pearson Brothers UK, more research will be needed to verify.

--
    AJ
    Barefoot 12 Proa Outrigger
    Coastal NC, USA
    --
  • BadKittyBumping a very old post! I am researching a 'new to me' 1970s Sussex Cob sailing dinghy mfg by the
    Pearson Bros. Ltd. Arundel Sussex UK. While researching, I ran across an archived article post from NYT Jan 23, 1970 titled 'British Accents Take Charge of 'Boatyard' on Fourth Floor'. Under the Pearson Bros. Ltd. bullet; PEARSON BROS., LTD. — The Felix catamaran, the Bonito single‐handed racing dinghy and the Bobbin nine‐foot sailing dinghy, all fiberglass cartoppers, are entered. This reference to the Felix Catamaran may be this elusive cat. As there is very limited information on the Pearson Brothers UK, more research will be needed to verify.

Thanks for adding that info, you never know who it might help.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • That sail must not belong originally to that boat, it may be a recut fireball sail

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • Those look like planing hulls

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.