Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Jib Sheet Line Setup  Bottom

• So just took my new (to me) Nacra 5.0 for first sale ever - very fun, I am hooked for sure.

However, it seems to me that my jib sheet setup is just plain strange - so looking for advice as to how others have setup. Let me see if I can explain it clearly.

I have a continuous jib sheet system that has two cleat blocks on each side of the tramp that go to two single blocks on the clew of the jib. So, the sheet line is tied to the port cleat block goes up to the jib clew block back through the port cleat block across the tramp through the starboard cleat block up to the other jib clew block and then back to the starboard cleat block where it is tied off.

Two issues with this - a) the 2 single blocks on the jib clew get caught on the mast while tacking etc, b) the sheet across the tramp gets caught in people and it always seems in the way.

How do other people have their jib sheets setup? I was thinking of getting rid of the 'across tramp' line and have two separate sheets with stop knots.

Thanks,

David

NACRA 5.0
    Lake Lanier
  • Aha The Nacra way, you need a jib sheet preventer. There are plenty of pictures on the technical gallery.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Ah bugger, Terry beat me to it. Pretty soon I wont be needed. :)

So to answer your questions:

a)get a 6' length of 1/4" shockcord and tie it to the front main beam or dolphinstriker strap near the hull, run it up between the diamond wires and back down to the opposite hull and tie it off forming a triangle with the top at the mast. Run your jib sheet over the triangle. This is called a jib sheet jam preventer and will keep the blocks from catching on the mast. Here is a page from the manual showing it:

http://173.205.126.48/ind…pictures&g2_itemId=35332

b)OK sounds like you have the same jib sheet setup on my 5.2. or maybe the track setup on the inboard side of the hulls. I can't seem to upload pics right now (Damon?) but here is a partial pic of my block setup.

http://173.205.126.48/ind…pictures&g2_itemId=74166

This is actually the way most boats with an overlapping jib are setup, either with a wire that goes from the back beam to the front or a track that goes just inboard of the hulls (don't pay attention to the yellow/red line, that is a barberhauler and it is actually setup slightly wrong in that picture, not something you have to worry about right now).

Yes they can get in the way, but a 2 line jib sheet would be worse, if you forget to uncleat one side you are in trouble. One way to help with the single sheet system is to
    #1 run the leader and jib wires under the trampoline like in my picture if the are on top and if that is the setup you have
    #2 use the shortest possible jib sheet (approximately 40' but maybe a couple of feet less
    #3 get your crew to sit forward of the blocks. In most cases on a 5.0 this is a good position for the crew even though it seems counter intuitive if you come from sailing hobie 16's. The crew can almost ride the front beam msot of the time.

Basically it is something to get used to on a high performance cat. I have been trying to figure out a good way to pad the blocks for those times you end up sitting on them. Probably have to go to some new style plastic composite ones eventually. Anyway they really aren't active on the side you are sitting (all the action is on the leeward side) once you have sailed the boat for a while you will get used to them and forget they are there. You will probably find you get tangled up in the mainsheet and traveler more often than the jibsheet.

If you are looking for a front beam mounted jib like an H16 you will have to get the jib recut MUCH smaller with a corresponding loss in performance. I still haven't heard of anyone actually doing it but I think it would be possible if you talk to a good sailmaker who knows cat sailplans.

Hope this helps.

D.

edited by: Wolfman, Jun 29, 2010 - 11:35 PM

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Perfect! The jib sheet jam preventer looks like it will solve my first problem. I'll try it when I get back to the lake.

In looking at your second picture Dave, I have the two cleat blocks attached to the hull by the egde of the tramp. What is the orange and red line in your second picture? I don't have that at all.

Thanks,
    David
  • Yeah that is the track setup I believe or it could be just attached to an eye riveted to the hull? Basically the same idea, just a different method of attachement. Your crew will likely have to sit forward of those or hike out a bit or get a pain the the butt. Again something to tell your crew about when they board and get used to.

Yeah I editted my post above to tell you to ignore that. You probably were reading it while I was editing. It's called a barberhauler, and you don't need to worry about it. It was an option and is used to spread open the pocket between the jib and main for downwind sailing. I don't use it much but those in the know can use it very effectively. I'm not in the know.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Thanks.

Interesting comment about sitting close to the front crossbeam - the opposite of what I thought of telling the wife to do. I thought further back was better...guess the nacra hulls have enough volume to cover?

David
  • Yeah, the Nacra hulls have quite a bit more volume than the Hobie 14s and 16s and you can actually bury the bow quite far without causing a pitchpole. All that being said if you are burying the bow, get your wife to move back to you at least until you learn how far you can push it. A little cuddle time never hurt anyone, but that jib block can pinch!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Good advice!

Thanks,
    David
  • David,
    One option to think about in the future is to find a second hand or new Nacra 500 jib. The 500 is the new 5.0 with modern features. The 500 sheets from the cross bar and requires alot less line. If you sail the boat and like it and plan to keep it for a few years it may be worth the cost. Get the crew out on the wire and they wont have to deal with the clutter!
  • Wolfman,

Did you buy your tramp with the grommets for "under mounting" the jib block wires or modify a tramp yourself?

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • That was a home-made jobbie. Just brass spur grommets I attached when the tramp was off. I put 2 layers of white sail repair tape to help reinforce the area a bit. Should have used black and should have had them sewn in but they work.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • The preventer will solve most of your problems, especially once the wind is up. In very light air you may find you have to toss the block over the preventer line.
    Don't worry about pushing the hull into the water. Last week on my 5.7 (a boomless skeg boat, much the same as your 500, just bigger)I had my wife moving up & down the hull, in about 15mph wind. I didn't have a GPS, but would swear that boat speed changed with her positioning. Moving her 120 lbs up to the front beam would push the bows down so only a couple of inches were above the water as the upwind hull started to fly. It never felt like it wanted to dig & dive for the bottom.
    Also when beating you will find that if you don't get that lee hull nearly buried your pointing ability suffers quite a bit.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • The preventer looks like a simple solution - I like simple. It will make life a lot easier.

Thanks all
    David
    Nacra 5.0

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.