Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

A new "to me" boat...  Bottom

• Hey guys

as most of you know, I have been sailing hobies for years but I am thinking of buying a prindle 18-2. I have been doing my homework but I would really like to get some opinions of pros and cons on prindles as I am just not that familar with them. I know my H16 is getting a little cramped so I am thinking the prindle 18-2 would be a big step up. I had an H18SX but sold it when I came down becvause sailing solo with daggerboards was too scary for me.

Any words of wisdom (or what ever else you have to offer LOL)would be appreciated!
  • I just went from a H-18 to the Prindle 18-2 two weeks ago. I only sailed the Prindle twice so far, but my impression is that it is lighter, more responsive, faster, and easier to rig than the Hobie. The daggerboard system makes the Hobie system seem downright primitive.
    I got spoiled with the wings on my H-18. I am going to get a pair fabricated for the Prindle if I can't find any.
  • lewesisleI just went from a H-18 to the Prindle 18-2 two weeks ago. I only sailed the Prindle twice so far, but my impression is that it is lighter, more responsive, faster, and easier to rig than the Hobie. The daggerboard system makes the Hobie system seem downright primitive.

Welcome to the darkside. Now be prepared to deal with the additional interests from chicks. :)

--
    Philip
    --
  • I got the guy down to $700 so the deal is looking too good to pass up even if I have to put another $500 or so in it. On that note, anyone know where I can find a line and wire guide for a Prindle 18-2??? I know I will have to replace all the standing and running rigging as well as the tramp so anyone care to share where to get the good stuff cheap?

Thanks!
  • P.S. I already have to manual and tuning guide but these don't seem to mention line lenghts
  • salty dog sheet list?

http://www.saltydogmarine.com/product_info.php?cPath=421&products_id=3858&osCsid=ea32a6

Includes:
    Barberhauler - 1/4? (6.4mm) x 18? (487.7cm) - White
    Batten Ties - 3/32? (2mm) x 22? (55.9cm) - White (11)
    Downhaul - 1/4? (6.4mm) x 15? (457.2cm) - White
    Jib Block Adjustment - 1/4" (6.4mm) x 9' (274.3cm) White
    Jib Clew Bridle - 3/16? (5mm) x 6? (182.9cm) - White
    Jib Halyard - 5/32? (4mm) x 22' (670.6cm) - Black (2)
    Jib Sheet - 5/16? (8mm) x 33? (1005.8cm) - Color
    Main Halyard - 3/16? (5mm) x 61' (1859.3cm) - White
    Main Sheet - 3/8? (9mm) x 40' (1219.2cm) - White
    Mast Rotator - 3/16? (5mm) x 5? (152.4cm) - White
    Rudder Pull Down - 1/4? (6.4mm) x 4? (121.9cm) - White (2)
    Rudder Pull Up - 1/4? (6.4mm) x 5? (152.4cm) - White (2)
    Tramp Lace - 3/16? (5mm) x 19? (579.1cm) - White (2)
    Trapeze Adjustment - 1/4? (6.4mm) x 3' 6" (106.7cm) - White (4)
    Traveler - 5/16? (8mm) x 10? (304.8cm) - Color

edited by: erice, Jun 23, 2010 - 08:51 PM
  • QuoteI know I will have to replace all the standing and running rigging as well as the tramp so anyone care to share where to get the good stuff cheap

paul, you can't beat Stu's rates (or its tough to). do you know ellie's sail shop in clearwater?

please support Stu, he has supported our community for 40+ years
  • Hey Andrew thanks for the heads up. I have heard of him but never been there. Dave was just telling me thay can make everything I need and the prices are good too so I think a trip will be made soon.

I am suprised at how much less info is out there on the 18-2 compaired to my H16. I guess I am a little spoiled when it comes to looking for things, hobie stuff is everywhere...

and thanks to everyone else for the leads all the information I am needing
  • he is on betty lane about a mile north of drew (and about a mile south of sunset

ps the h16 is the most popular cat in the world, i am not surprised at all there is a ton more info.. and the p18-2 is a pretty rare boat

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.