Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New NACRA 450 owner  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• for further reading try to nacra 16sq tuning guide

http://www.goosemarine.com.au/_content/documents/general/11%20mf%20nacra%2016sq%20tuning%20guide

but best is to get up early and sail it lots when the air is light

it'll all come together
  • andrewscott
    Also, as the wind hits the water it is angled up at the sail. i BELIEVE raking the mast back is has more of a depowering effect due to a change in the angle of the sail in relation to the wind (if you hold your hand open and up, and then tilt it back, you can see this illustrated pretty well). this change in angle will also spill more off the top of the sail.

the combo of mast rake and sheeting angle (block position on the clewp plate) can help spill air off the entire leach as well..

Huh?
    andrewscottbut i have never owned a boomless cat and this is more theory than i have a working knowledge of.

oh, OK.

--
    Philip
    --
  • OK. Thanks for the link. I'll have a read when I get home. I won't have time to sail before the weekend so I'm just trying to get as much info together as possible before my next outing. I know the 450 is a recreational boat that's why I chose it but it still has a lot more performance than I am used to. I just need to tame it a bit so I can get used to it a bit at a time before letting her rip. The mast is still at the factory setting and I will leave it so but I still like to understand how the adjustments affect performance/sail shape etc. There is a lot of good advice here for which I'm greatful and I'm getting a good idea of what and what not to do next time I sail.

So thanks to you all for all the effort.

Martin
  • mummp
    andrewscott
    Also, as the wind hits the water it is angled up at the sail. i BELIEVE raking the mast back is has more of a depowering effect due to a change in the angle of the sail in relation to the wind (if you hold your hand open and up, and then tilt it back, you can see this illustrated pretty well). this change in angle will also spill more off the top of the sail.

the combo of mast rake and sheeting angle (block position on the clewp plate) can help spill air off the entire leach as well..

Huh?
    andrewscottbut i have never owned a boomless cat and this is more theory than i have a working knowledge of.

oh, OK.

this wind/angle theory is from Rick White's catamaran racing in the 90's.
  • Andrew,
    I was just ribbing you for all the experienced advice/ theory you were giving having never owned a boomless rig.

Let's just confuse the shit out of the lad, will ya. . .

--
    Philip
    --
  • mummpAndrew,
    I was just ribbing you for all the experienced advice/ theory you were giving having never owned a boomless rig.

Let's just confuse the shit out of the lad, will ya. . .

Yes Philip, we know you LOVE to give me crap. and since i am a big boy now... i can handle it... (as i love to throw it right back atcha)....

He's been sailing since 1998. i THINK he can handle a little theory behind mast rake...

and i have sailed on, and skippered boomless cats, just not owned any
    boomless. do i have to own one to explain how rake depowers?

and furthermore... bite me ;~p

edited by: andrewscott, Jun 15, 2010 - 12:09 PM
  • Hello to you all,
    Been out a few times lately. We have only had light winds 2-3 bft recently but that is fine until now. I've been trying out a few things and can now tack the boat reliably using the main only. Also been doing some sailing with the jib and as predicted she tacks much easier. One question remains, when I'm in the trapeze the shroud hangs loose. Now seeing as the winds have been light this may be OK but I'm not sure whether to tighten the shrouds one hole or not. Any suggestions?
    Thanks for all the advice so far, it has really helped.

Kind regards,

Martin
  • your lee stay will always have some slack in it.. as the mast is bending that way..

if your windward side-stay gets slack when you get on the wire... you got some issues.... it's almost impossible to have slack in your windward stay....

when rigging, you want tight stays and bridal. not so tight they inhibit mast rotation, but snug as a bug. lose rigging is not such a big deal in light air.. but not a good thing in heavy air..
  • Martin,
    Your shrouds should be loose enough that you can rotate the mast just over 180 deg. from port to starboard. When sailing in light wind in the trap the windward shroud can have the slack that is normally in the lee shroud. If you weigh 176lb and the wind is exerting less than that on on the sail you will have slack. If the wind quits you can also pull the boat over, don't ask me how I know!

edited by: skarr1, Jul 03, 2010 - 11:15 AM

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.