Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Steve's Prindle hull repair  Bottom

• I created an album showing the steps I used to inject epoxy into the split seam of my Prindle 18. It's under the technical help/ Steve's Prindle 18 seam repair

I didn't actually get to take pictures of the epoxy being injected since I was working alone (didn't want to get the camera all covered in epoxy).
    Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to do a pressure check and make sure it's sealed up tight.

edited by: SteveON, May 14, 2010 - 10:08 AM
  • Just a little more info on the repair. The inboard starboard hull was shifting up away from the deck seam when heeling on a port tack which allowed the area to open and water to enter.
    I had tried to repair the area previously with Marine-tex and that was a total failure. After a little research and some great advice from another Beachcat member (thanks coastrat)I decided to use West Systems 105 epoxy, 206 hardner (slow) and added 406 Colloidal Silica to thicken it up. I mixed it up 5:1 in small mixing cups with measuring marks which was really handy. I used small syringes I picked up from West Marine to inject the mixture. I used a straight epoxy/hardner mixture for the first injection, waited awhile then made a thicker batch and injected that. After around an hour the seam was tacky so I pulled all the tape/masking paper and wiped everything down with lacquer thinner.
    In hind sight I would recommend flipping the boat over to do the repair if you have the help and space. It would make the whole job much easier/cleaner.
    Steve
  • great looking repair! don't you just love the colloidal silica! now you will be more confident in all your repairs, the silica/epoxy mix is so versatile and can be tooled slick as glass...now its time for sea trials!! congrads and good luck!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • coastrat- Thank you for your suggestions and support. If the weather permits I plan on doing a hull pressure check tomorrow. If she passes that I plan on taking her out on Monday!
  • were going out tomorrow. ever since repairs and paint, my boat doesn't leak a drop...nadda, hopefuly yours is dry too. tomorrow i'm gonna spend some time on mast rake tweeking and that is my last loose end...got my rudders tuned in and set up on the money(nice), now to find that ultimate sweet spot for the mast!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • My fingers are crossed all will stay dry now. I dialed my rudders in before my last outing and it sure made the boat respond better. I hope you have a great day on the water and the mast gets dialed in perfect!
  • Steve, I too have found that the pictures all end up being assbackwards! The default save is not the order you put them in, you just change the SORT ORDER to MANUAL, then rearange things. It is fairly simple to reorder them, once you get to the right place.
    1)Log In
    2)Go to Tech Help Forum, click on "album actions" just below your album, click "edit Album"
    3)On the screen that comes up you will see 4 tabs, just to the right of your picture, click "ALBUM"
    4) The first line under the 4 tabs, "This sets the sort order for the album." Click the little triangle, & select MANUAL SORT ORDER.
    5)Scroll to the bottom & click "SAVE"
    6) Now, on the left side you can select REORDER ITEMS
    I find it helps to look through our pictures, & write down the order you want them in. The re-order screen is pretty straightforward, once you have them all set according to before/after logic, select re-order...everything will appear as you desire.
    before/after logic, select RE-ORDER...everything will appear as you desire.
    If you find it difficult to get the bad stuff out with an Exacto knife, I find a Dremel tool works wonders, just like dentistry without the 7 years school! I bought a kit of 300 pieces for $14, there is a cutter,sander/polisher for just about every imaginable situation.

edited by: Edchris177, May 13, 2010 - 07:54 PM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • E C Hilliard - Thanks for your help in rearranging pics in the album. They should be in the right order now.
    I actually have a dremel and a big accessory kit but I had loaned it out to a friend..LOL. Got it back this morning. Severve thunder storm and pouring rain here today so no pressure check. Hopefully will be better Monday.
    Steve

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.