Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

from p16 to Prindle 19 what should i do?  Bottom

• icon_confused I have a p16, and just busted a hull sun 9th, i am now looking at 2 boats a h16 and a p19 beautiful, i sail 50% of my time with someone (1) on board, i am 192lb, i am a very quick learner only been sailing for one month, (i was flying hauls, on my first day out, and i was alone, you could say that i am a natural, as i was told... ) i am afraid to be regretting the purchase of the h16, as I WANT A FAST BOAT, what should i get??? please help me thx
  • where did it break (in the bay or in the gulf)?
    how did you get back to the beach?
  • Buy the P19, Sheet in and hold on!

The P19 is much more boat than a P16 or H16. If you dont mind the set up time difference and are willing to sail with crew most days i would get the P19. If its not fast enough for you in the next few years you can add the MX sail plan to the P19 and it will be even faster. If you cant source P19mx parts you could always put a spin on it and have alot of fun too. More set up time is required with a spin. The P19 will have much better sail shaping tools than the P/H16. I think you would really learn alot more on a boat with better controls, but it is alot of boat. I would learn the boat during the hot summer months when the wind isnt as strong.
  • thx for the input, how about going solo most of the time, i am 190lb would u still purchase the p19 vs h16 i am not sure???
  • the hull broke in the pass going open to the gulf, i was towed by jetski to a small island, it was fun!!!!
  • Why not go find another Prindle 16? At least now you have a bunch of spare parts, and you seem to be comfortable with the boat.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Solo righting a P19 would likely be extremely difficult, which is one thing to consider when looking at bigger boats. Most are designed for 2. How many times did you flip your P16 in the month you sailed it? Were you able to get it back up yourself? That is a skill you need to have.

Hope you find a boat you enjoy. Can you repair yours? Getting another P16 would be a good idea since you could have lots of spare parts. You can never seem to sell spares for much money, but everytime I try to buy them they are expensive icon_confused

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Quotethe hull broke in the pass going open to the gulf, i was towed by jetski to a small island, it was fun!!!!

just so you know, that pass is dangerious and when the tide is ripping out, if the wind dies, next to impossible to get back in. i have seen cats sucked out and had to swim their boat to one of the sides and park until the tides changed.

people have died in that pass, killed when they capsized and were then run over and sliced apart by powerboats. actually the last time, it was a boat coming to help that then killed the sailor.

there is no speed limit in that pass (as there should be) and it's filled with kayaks, fisherman, million dollar yachts and speedboats. Not to mention dozens of parked boats along both sides of the pass (caladisi and honeymoon). Power boaters fly through there and could easily miss a person in the water with all the traffic and distractions. They give NO RIGHT OF WAY to sailboats (as they are required to)
  • no its trashed i disassembled it cut the hulls and listed all parts got great responses, already got a hobie16 today getting ready to go friday, we'll see how it does....
  • Hulls make great mail box holders
    http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2394/239/23/530203601/n530203601_1502941_2883188.jpg
  • you r correct Zacks mail box is a beautiful prindle 19 hull!!! By the way guys I sold my second H16 and proud to pronounce my colors: ah!ah! what is it? a Prindle 19 sqtop sail a racing rig i bought it on monday june 21 in Daytona, by the way the guy that sold it to me is john kuna he just won the yearly daytona race sat 19 and sun 20 of june, yes did not test the boat yet but will tomorrow Thursday....thanks for all your inputs,,,...
  • Wow Andrew, that place sounds like a kamikaze zone! I'm glad as newbie the Bay I'm on is pretty friendly. I had the Invitation out a couple weeks ago in a 40 click blow (24mph)& dumped it during a gybe when the sheet got hung up on the corner of the hull. A jet ski that was 1/2 mile away came blasting over to ask if I was alright, or needed help. I told him I was fine & could right it, but also thanked him for coming over to check.
    I'm not a personal fan of jet skiis, but to each his own, & never know when one might help me out.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Sometimes the facts get in the way of a good story.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Kamakaze Zone? I am not sure what u r refering to??????? but maybe u must be in a dead calm bay???
  • Re read Andrews post, I think the light will come on.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177Wow Andrew, that place sounds like a kamikaze zone! I'm glad as newbie the Bay I'm on is pretty friendly. I had the Invitation out a couple weeks ago in a 40 click blow (24mph)& dumped it during a gybe when the sheet got hung up on the corner of the hull. A jet ski that was 1/2 mile away came blasting over to ask if I was alright, or needed help. I told him I was fine & could right it, but also thanked him for coming over to check.
    I'm not a personal fan of jet skiis, but to each his own, & never know when one might help me out.

well it's not a death trap but it can be a dangerous spot...

I was just trying to point out the dangers of capsizing in the pass at a poor time... (and maybe try and scare him a little) :)
  • andrewscottwell it's not a death trap but it can be a dangerous spot...

Andrew, your pass sounds just like the one at Panama City Beach. When you combine a tourist area with big fishing, commercial, and Navy fleets all sharing the same small pass it gets crazy.

Add a large bay, deep channel, tidal current, and contrary winds you have a real adventure!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • damonAdmin
    andrewscottwell it's not a death trap but it can be a dangerous spot...

Andrew, your pass sounds just like the one at Panama City Beach. When you combine a tourist area with big fishing, commercial, and Navy fleets all sharing the same small pass it gets crazy.

Add a large bay, deep channel, tidal current, and contrary winds you have a real adventure!

I used to paddle my surfboard across that pass to surf a break called "Amazons". It is a crazy pass and wow can those navy hovercraft move!

--
    LIVE LIFE... Dave Wilcox
    Trac 18
    Bloomington, IN
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.