Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

NACRA 5.8 broken mast  Bottom

• I have a 5.8 with a broken mast. I had a sleeve fabricated to go inside the mast to put it back together. Am short about 3 ft. of mast due to cutting out the bent parts. Option 1 is to find a few feet of mast and put this one back together. I know the performance won't be the same but I'm on a small lake and just want it working again so I can take the grandkids sailing. Option 2 might be a 5.2 mast that might be available near by. (shipping a mast a long ways is really expensive)
    Any suggestions? Does anyone know of any drawings available for positioning the different attachments?
    Thanks

• no data on repairs but there is someone selling masts on this site in the classified section... might be worth a look
  • Ted,
    The extrusions (profiles) are the same for the most part on all Nacra models.

It would help if you were to let us know where you are located. If you near Virginia you're probably in luck . . .

--
    Philip
    --
  • Ted,

just read your post from may. i bent my mast this summer. are you still looking for part of a 5.8 mast? i can also do measured drawings for the part placement if you need them.

just email me: joncom'at'juno.com

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • Recognize that a 5.2 mast is approx. 18" shorter than the 5.8 and so your 5.8 sail is 18" too long for the 5.2 mast track. You lack the vertical room to accomodate a 5.8 sail on 5.2 mast.
  • Philip,

If you mean that he would be in luck if he's near Virginia because I'M in Virginia--you may be right. I think I can find a few 5.8 masts..
  • I have 2 halves of a Nacra I-18 mast behind my garage. I snapped it a couple of years ago, double trapped ... great spin ride. I ordered a new one from Nacra/Performance. I have some thoughts to share on Nacra shipping practices as well as I can help you out if you need a section of Nacra spec mast. Post a reply and I'll get it.

A new mast from Nacra is $1400 and comes with most parts (no rotator arm).

--norm

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • Can anyone tell me how tall this mast for the Nacra 5.8 is supposed to be. I cannot find any information about it. Also would a mast from a prindle 18 or c scow be suitable? Thank you for replying
  • aluminum extrusion is 30' long, not including top and base. i've owned 4.
    j

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • masts can be extended. my nacra 18 square has an extention at the top of the mast. 12 in. longer. it is 30.5 ft. i do not know if it is an original mast or a non 18 square mast extended to 18 square specs.
    marc
  • IMPO there is not cheap way around this project... You can try and rig up a a repair but in the end you're probably going to need to get a new, or used mast..

I don't think you can order direct from the factory anymore...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • i know of a couple of nacra 5.8s here in the mid west that are /almost/ for sale. one is an NA and is showroom new, sailed by a loving owner and well cared for. Make the guy an offer he can't refuse and use what you have for parts.

I'd have to check on the other one. I know the guys bought an F18 as we chase each other around. He had his 5.8 posted, but I don't know if he sold it or not. I have not been to the beach yet this year as i'm still in 15 year old boat/hull love land for another week.

1 more coat of "perfection"... some sanding, let her bake.

Edited by nhanson on May 16, 2012 - 09:12 PM.

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • Thank you for your responses.
    I have found a mast from a Prindle 18. I just need to know how far from the bottom all the mast hardware must go. Could someone please measure the distance between the bottom of the mast (not including the base plate) and the piece that the front and side stays go too. This will save me a lot of time not having to remake these cables.
  • Prindle 18 mast is 2' short. Pete
  • My Prindle 18 mast was broken last year when my boat was overturned by a microcell. I bought a mast that was shipped from California to Maryland. It arrived at a shipping company near BWI airport where I picked it up. With insurance the cost of shipping was only $100. I actualy believe I bought the mast from Pete who posted above. The mast arrived in Maryland without any noticable damage. Now the question is can you find a Nacra 5.8 that is for sale?

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • I have answered Andrews questions on my ad for masts. Pete

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.