Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Is anyone going to the 2010 Sail the Bay Regatta Virginia Beach May 22-23  Bottom

• I was thinking about heading up to this regatta in Virginia Beach. I was hoping to crew with some one. I have never been to a regatta before, and i am very excited.

I have been sailing cats for about a year. I sailed a sunfish when i was younger. I am comfortable sailing and getting in and out on the trap and a very quick learner.

kinlawk@ecu.edu

edited by: kinlawk, May 02, 2010 - 03:05 PM
  • I will be there, but fortunately do not need crew. If you have a boat (or can convince whomever you've been sailing with) I see no reason not to enter yourself.

If you can't find a boat then definitely try emailing some of the Fleet 32 officers (see their website).
  • I have my own boat (P16), but i have never raced before and was hoping to learn the ropes with someone more experienced. (i know that there is no rope on sail boat, just an expression)

I have emailed Fleet 32 officers a couple of times with no response. But i will try again.

Thanks for the response.
    Keith
  • Unfortunately I don't know any of their contact info outside of whats on the website. I would really encourage you to consider bringing your own boat.

You also might try posting this over on the open forum at Catsailor.com.

edited by: hokie, May 03, 2010 - 06:01 PM
  • QuoteI have my own boat (P16), but i have never raced before and was hoping to learn the ropes with someone more experienced. (i know that there is no rope on sail boat, just an expression)

Sure there is rope. Thats what we tie up the skippers and crew of other boats when we board and steal their rum!~ (and women)
  • ps i agree, bring your cat, ask for crew at the event.. if there is none to be had... sail solo... Tell everyone at the skippers meeting this is your first event so "look out for me".

This would probably be the best way to meet the locals, learn how to race and improve your skills
  • Keith,

I'm involved with the fleet that is running that race! I would bring your boat and look for crew, BUT we have a bunch of single-handed Hobie 16s racing and you would be in their fleet. We are supposed to have several chase boats, so if you get in trouble, I think there would be help. You can always ask for crew at the skippers meeting!

It is a great time--the park has great facilities and camping is reasonable. There are hotels near by, too. We will tow your boat down to the beach and you can leave your trailer there all weekend!

Some of the A cats are setting up Friday during the day, but most people show up Friday evening to get their boats on the beach and then set up Saturday morning.

The party is usually pretty good, too.

You can email me at danberger @ mindspring.com for more info.
  • First off thanks for all the responses.

I just received a response from Travis Fox (Hobie Fleet 32), I think that he is trying to help me find a boat to crew on.

I just think that I should not go solo on my first Race and picking up an inexperienced crew would be about the same. I really want to crew with someone that knows what they are doing so that i can learn to sail better and start to understand cat racing (starts, right of way, strategy, and finishes).

A friend of mine use to race Hobie 16s in the late 70's and always talks to me about how much fun it was to watch a good skipper work the boat if you know what I am saying.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.