Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H16 Upgrades  Bottom

• I have an H16 and was looking at doing some enhancements to it but wanted to get some feedback to decide if they are prudent of if I would be better served on adding another boat.
    Looking at the EPO Rudders?
    Spin?
    Having new sails made, Squaretop?

Not looking to race as much as beach play. I'm 220# and 6'2"

Thoughts?
  • Before selling mine this was my next upgrade:
    [url]http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MS&Product_Code=01-3120&Category_Code=C-J/[url]

Also little things like putting bushings in for the rudder pins to eliminate play for better steerage.

What have you done so far? What year is your cat.

Also a good upgrade which I think most of us overlook as a new "go fast" is advanced sailing lessons. You might get more speed and enjoyment from better sailing skills than any upgrade.

edited by: mma600psi, May 01, 2010 - 09:06 AM
  • QuoteLooking at the EPO Rudders?
    Spin?
    Having new sails made, Squaretop

YES
    YES
    YES/yes

other nice upgrades:
    new lines
    new blocks
    new gelcoat
    new trailer bearings

and i agree lessons or videos (rick white) may make you a better sailor/increase your enjoyment

even if your not a racer, its usually a good thing to do a few, esp with other boats in your class. sailing hard against the same boat can teach you tons
  • The boat is an 1982. It's in excellent condition all around.

Any idea of a sail plan for a square top or should I just let the local sail shop, very good guys, work it up? Does it still need a battoned jib or can I put a roller on it?

I would rather not chase money down the toilet if anyone has already paid for some of this experience. I imagine the H16 has been pretty exhausted in tinkering.

Thanks
  • you might upgrade to a newer boat cheaper and have 2 boats...keep an open mind and do all the math...the cool thing about the h 16 is the simplicity and ease of operation. now you could focus on a real speed demon with all of its features and mayby come out cheaper than all the upgrades to the hobie. sail the hobie solo and take crew for warp speed days...this may be hard to explain to significant other sometimes...good luck!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • BobBeanAny idea of a sail plan for a square top or should I just let the local sail shop, very good guys, work it up? Does it still need a battoned jib or can I put a roller on it?

I would rather not chase money down the toilet if anyone has already paid for some of this experience. I imagine the H16 has been pretty exhausted in tinkering.

You are right, no need to invent this, they are available from experienced catamaran sailmakers. Try these
    http://whirlwindsails.com/h16.htm
    Yes, you can add a furler to a H16, talk to Chip Buck at Whirlwind about that, he's a Hobie sail expert.

That is a Whirlwind squaretop in my Avatar on my Hobie 18.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Very sweet! I think my wallet is going on a diet. Or at least it will be a bit thinner.

Thoughts on materials? Poly, Pentax, Dacron?
  • pentex (and other laminates) are great for racing sails, light weight... but they don't last any-where's near as long as dacron.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.