Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Crew for Fla to Cuba Race  Bottom

• Anyone plan to do the race from Key Wet to Cuba this year. I'd like to but not alone. Just a thought at this point.
  • sounds great! i was planning on defecting and learning the finer points of percussion. its a sign of the times when we are racing to cuban soil...no, seriously...

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • I'm doing it.

--
    Philip
    --
  • I've been thinking about it for about a year, ever since I read about it on the Sail Series website. Looks like a lot of fun! I got my passport...I'm ready.

--
    Flightlead Bimare F18 HT SpaceCoast
    --
  • Too funny, I’m gonna resist the urge to get political about that. Funny thing is, I never heard of the race till 3 different guys wanted to buy my 18 square for that race. Now I can't stop thinking about it. Is it legal? Is it stupid? It's only 90 miles, but what if Castro asks for a ride????
  • i would think the tricky part is somehow locking down the boat after the race so a few families don't take the "liberty" of returning it to miami for you and resisting the urge to stuff the hulls with cigars. my great uncle used to go to cuba a lot back in the 30's, he thought is was the most beautiful place and lots of fun...stupid ole castro...i guess he misses us.

edited by: coastrat, Apr 22, 2010 - 07:59 AM

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • I was flying into Havana two to three times a week back in 2007. During the arrivals and departures I could see some really nice super hi-ways. The trouble is, I could could only see about three cars and two trucks on these roads. I saw some nice looking '55 Chevy's there too while grabbing a bite to eat at the airport. Mostly taxi cabs. I feel bad for the citizens of Cuba. Castro has destroyed the economy of this country. There are some historic forts and buildings around the Port of Havana that I would like to see if I sail over.

--
    --
  • coastratsounds great! i was planning on defecting and learning the finer points of percussion.

I didn't know Cuba was known for drumming excellence. icon_razz

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • yes indeed...there is a good flick called the buena vista social club that will give you a taste for the subtle power of rythms...cubans play percussion like they box and play baseball, vary good!

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • I'am sure some of the girls are HOT to, like>>> ( Eva Angelina) Where do I sign ???? icon_lol

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I have spent a cumulative total of nearly 2 years on Cuban soil. It is a marvelous country. If you are into bicycles, it can't be beat, their is very little traffic. They are getting some modern vehicles, but a horse & cart is more common in the rural areas than trucks. I once asked where they get the parts for all the 53 Chevies, was told they cannibalize basket cases, or make them.
    The Cubans are a friendly people, & no worries about wandering around after dark. Restaurants used to routinely take my baby daughter & disappear. She would be returned just as you finished dessert. She learned to swim in Cuban waters, speak the language fairly well & loved the caretakers she had, the Cubans are a very family oriented people.
    You will find the Customs Officials warm & generally helpful. A little hable Espanol goes a long ways.
    I would swear the fellow I dealt with at Sailing Services in FL was of Cuban origin.
    You cannot blame Castro entirely for the economic state. That portfolio was given to Che Guevera in the early days, who proved that a revolutionary does not an Economist make. Cuba had been the playground for rich Americans, with very little flowing to many segments of society. Castro lifted the really marginalized sectors & made them equal. He also led by example, turning his air conditioning off when power needed to be conserved, & quitting cigars when they came out with a policy to reduce smoking. That is why he is still loved by so many, not a Saint, but not bad vs many of todays so called leaders.
    The country badly needs foreign investment, & the sad fact is that the US cannot let the Bay of Pigs go & move on. There is plenty of blame to go around, on both sides, & I understand the reluctance to forgive due to the Nationalization of US interests, but I also respect Castros Cuba for Cubans policy. I know the American vacation chains just itch, hoping things will thaw, & they can go back.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • popeyez7 I'am sure some of the girls are HOT to, like>>> ( Eva Angelina) Where do I sign ???? icon_lol

There were a couple of hottie agents that would come out to the plane to check documentation. Everyone was very friendly there. It appeared that there was not enough work so they had a three day per week schedule so that everyone does a little work. They were very efficient, as soon as we shut down the engines, the fuel truck was in position, the ramp agents were ready by the door, and the baggage conveyor and carts were at the rear of the plane. One time the fuel truck never arrived, and the chief had to go find the fuel truck and bring it out to the plane. Apparently the guy was sleeping. I'm sure heads rolled over that. Our cargo hold was always filled to the brim with bags going over, from what I heard it was mostly aspirin and other common medical supplies that that are scarce in Cuba. There was an occasional baby stroller or other 'luxury' item going over. Rarely did we ever bring bags back to the U.S., everything stayed in Cuba. Cargo flights to Cuba were not allowed at the time but we always had smaller planes bringing excess baggage over.....other than that, sign me up! I'm ready to sail over.

--
    --
  • I spent a couple of weeks in Varadero and Havana a couple of years ago. Gorgeous place, nice people, and very poor except for the resorts. By far the best coffee and rum I have ever had. The food was very mediocre though. The did have catamarans for rent on the beach though! Hobies likely purchased from Europe or South America (where they get most of thier cars and buses from). Don't ask the locals about politics, they refuse to talk about it.

The average person seems to speak 2 or 3 languages besides Spanish. And on average they are extremely well educated. I met several engineers and doctors working at the resorts as bar tenders and tour guides, simply because the money from tips was so much better than the government wage.

Very interesting history, the political problems in Cuba started long before Castro was born and will likely continue long after he is gone.

edited by: Wolfman, Apr 26, 2010 - 09:27 PM

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Sounds like it would be fun for sure. I may have to set my sights on next year with all I have going on and what I would need to do to get ready for it.
    Wesley

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.