Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Vinyl tramp cleaning  Bottom

• Does anyone have a good method to "restore" clean up an older vinyl tramp. It only has another season or 2 left in it, but would like to make it look a bit better. Trying to avoid putting out $700 for a tramp and wing covers.
  • I'll bite: Try some Armor-all, test a small spot though to make sure it doesn't make the tramp too slippery. Another approach might be a spray-op/wipe-off carnuba wax, again slippery might make this a bad idea.

• Yeah, that is a bad idea, (slippery).... I've used bleach or Oxi clean diluted with water using a scrub brush & one of thoes scrubby pads. A friend of mine used some sort of chemical cleaner. It took some of the vinyl off and you could see the "threads" showing through.... After I did the bleach thing, I put some Armor All on it... bad move it was slippery, so don't do that unless ya have 3 hands.... icon_eek

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • The only good cleaner I've found for a (hobie) vinyl tramp is dawn detergent and then on tough spots, Ajax cleaner and a really stiff scrubbing brush that gets down in the crevices of the vinyl. Rinse well, and it looks very presentable. Sometimes it took 2 - 3 goes to it spotless. The color fade never came back, but at least it was really, really clean.

CAUTION: DO NOT EVER, EVER MIX CLEANERS.
    Mixing cleaning agents can produce chlorine gas, which as any history buff will tell you, was used to kill soldiers in WW One and interestingly mixing cleaners is also one of the top emergency room causes for burned eye cornea's. Yikes. Chlorine Gas is toxic and highly corrosive to any material. Don't play chemist.

Sometimes faded and clean is just good enough.
    cheers,
    G.
  • Thanks for the info. It is faded, but I guess I will have to live with it until I put up the cash for a new tramp/wings.

• I used a high pressure cleaner, it blew the dirt right of it. I also found out the boat was painted that way, because the paint also came of.

--
    Stefan, Denmark.
    H14,H16,P16,P18,SC17,N5.8
    Team StaySail
    http://www.staysail.eu
    --
  • Automotive paint supply stores sell spray on vinyl dye...it may work if its near the original color of the tramp. Try it out on a test spot underneath. I wouldn't try pressure washing it first though...lol. icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

--
    Flightlead Bimare F18 HT SpaceCoast
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.