Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 15 - just bought one.  Bottom

• Just bought an old Prindle 15 in need of a tidy up and some repairs.

I have sailed P16 and P18 cats a lot quite a few years back but never sailed a P15.
    Have not had a chance yet to sail it, hopefully this weekend, but would like to know how they sail.
    Are they a pleasure to sail when set up well or can they be a bit of a dog?

I paid $860 Aus for this one. I already race another class but wanted a boat I could just take out on harbour and blast around on.

Came with registered trailer and not too much is needed to restore it back to good cond.

Rudders both in need of lot work, ditto keel line on both hulls worn right away. Hulls seem quite stiff with no soft spots I could find and only some small crazing in gel around one rear beam.

Original white tramp starting to unstitch but overall not bad for a boat that was made from what I can tell in 1982.

Sail doesn't have a single tear and isn't even worn where it rubs on shrouds/stays but the fabric is very soft but maybe the P15 came with a lightweight cloth, it feels like about a 3 ounce cloth.

Mast looks like it has lost most of its anodising from sun damage and is straight although it may have been slightly bent at some point and re straightened.

Kind of amazing that other then wear and tear and oxidation of gelcoat this could be the same boat that the original buyer picked up from factory all those years ago. Even though I raced prindles in the 80's I had no idea they were such a tough well built boat. The last owner had it for 4 years and rarely used it after a while I think. Didnt even use the trapeze from what I gathered.

If it is a nice boat to sail I will restore it bit by bit and do some mixed cat events next season.
    Will post some pics later if anyone interested.
  • P-15 is a great boat. It will scream to weather, what I have seen is that a lot of folks want to add a jib, but that is not how or what the boat was designed for. It was designed for a single handed cat rigged boat and will perform very well. If the sail is a colored sail then it will be a little over 3 oz. They used a little lighter material to accept the dye for color. If it is a white sail it should be a little heavier. Post some pictures when you get it finished.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.