Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Shorts/Harness Combo  Bottom

• Hey Everyone,
    I am looking at getting a new harness and was intrigued by the Dakine Nitrous shorts which have a built in harness, just add spreader. Has anyone had any experience with these or something similar? Seems like a good way to reduce bulk, expecially if you are on the helm and only trap occasionally and for short periods.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I had them for a short time. Wasnt a huge fan to be honest. they were not as comfortable as a butt bucket and i would keep the harness tight so they didnt fall off and the bar would dig into my stomach. Im pretty lean so if youve got any sort of stomach i would look elsewhere at other harnesses. If you decide you want to give them a go PM me on here and ill give you my friends cell # who is a Dakine rep. He will cut you a deal if you tell him i sent you (cost)
  • i saw them in a shop. my friend loved them but i couldn't see the point.

1- you must wear a harness all day long... no thanks
    2- harness can get sweaty/smelly.. so how do you wash shorts with a harness built in?
    3- i take my harness off in light air, and usually on the beach for comfort

that being said, i do like the brand and tried a few of them on... didn't like em enough to buy them though.
  • My concern is the same as Andrews. On days I am sailing I am on the beach a fair amount as well so wearing the hardness around while on land would be uncomfortable and might look strange. Plus as mentioned how often I was my harness versus my shorts.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I'm still on the fence about taking the $120 hit through a local retailer. Though I may give them a shot here soon, the past 4 days of sailing with my 10 year old Dakine harness has badly bruised my lower abdomen. First time that's ever happened.
  • yes, but i bet your lower abdomen is not the same size it was 4 years ago (and 3, and 2 and even last year).

good thing you don't need a chin harness!
  • Anything worth protecting needs a roof over it, hence my ever-increasing belly.

As to the chin comment, I'm going to leave you a present in one of your hulls this week. Right after a night of Guiness and Taco Bell.

TOPIC: I'm interested to hear what others think about the Nitrous shorts.

edited by: Headhunter, Apr 06, 2010 - 04:13 PM
  • PM sent wolfman.
  • PS Dave, i think ALL Dakine's come with a spreader bar.. at least thats what i was told by a dealer
  • Thanks Turbo, I owe you 2!

Roof nothing, I'm working on a carport!

Spreader bars aren't a problem, I think I inherited 4 old Murray's ones with the boat. I also got a pair of QRH spreaders for a smokin deal at a local boat shop. They had them in stock but didn't know what they were so I wheeled and dealed my way to about $60 each (just so they wouldn't have to send them back to the manufacturer). :)

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Most people around here wear them for kiting, but usually buy oversized, to fit over wetsuits. You drop them when you're on the beach. My Dakine spreader bar sorta fits in my H16 trap fittings, but not very well. If I was going to use it for that (and I might) I think I'd put some spare chicken loops (with DD's, to lock in) from a kite rig on the trap lines.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.