Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Buying/ Selling State of Indiana  Bottom

• Hello-
    New member here. I just bought a Prindle 16 with a trailer in Indiana. The seller didn't have a title for either. The best I can tell the boat was last registered in Wash DC (who knows when) and the trailer was registered in Maryland in 2006 as I have a copy of that.

The boat and trailer have past through a couple owners in Indiana but was never registered in the State. Just got back from the DMV and they think the boat will be no problem to title and register (we will find out as I have to go back tomorrow for the verdict) but they say I have big problems with the trailer. Apparently I need to track down the person who last held title/ registration on the east coast and have them provide a duplicate title for both. Has anyone every been through a similar situation in the State of Indiana? What was the outcome?

I want to get both boat and trailer titled/ registered properly. Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Wow, I'm in the identical situation. In Georgia attempting to buy a boat in South Carolina. No title. Current owner bought the boat from "some guy" in Florida. Perusing the SC DNR site, it looks like the seller is heading down the path for titling a Found/Abandoned boat. Don't have a clue what happens next except I'm certain The Man will get his share and then some! Fees, late fees, paperwork...oh my!
  • I know a currency exchange in Illinois that will let you register the boat here as homemade, then you could transfer your Illinois title to Indiana.
    In Wisconsin trailers are not registered at all, you might want to claim the trailer is from Wisconsin. This is how I found out about the "homemade" deal.

• I would think the trailer would be the easiest to get registered. I don't think mine has a VIN, yours probably doesn't either, so really hard to show where it has been registered before. Maybe the old registration you have is really for a different trailer they didn't sell you. When I bought it while living in AL I did not need to register it since they didn't registers trailers there.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • i have a "Homemade" trailer here in florda....
  • you could tear it down paint, refurbish, refinish and call it homemade.

Luckily here in Utah trailers this size do not need any titling or licensing. Neither does the boat if it's Pre-1985.(Title that is boat still needs registration)

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • i live in indiana, the homade way is the way to go, ive had to do it with a few trailers. seems like many of them havnt been registered or titled for yrs and many owners. ya can do a lot with a wire brush and spray paint in a short time.
  • I'm in Indiana and have the exact same problem. Here in Indiana boats without motors don't need any registration. the trailer is a huge problem for me though. how exactly can i make it legal as "homemade"?

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.