Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Is a Prindle 16 too much for newbie in ocean  Bottom

• i live in st aug fl.

i have some sailing ex

I am going to buy a cat
    im looking at a Hobie 14 which i feel sure is too small for open water and a Prindle 16 that someone said was too much for one inexperienced person to handle in ocean.

i have only sailed in caribean and im unsure what to buy for casual saling with kids????

any thoughts are appreciated.
  • i think a prindle 16 is a GREAT cat.
    i would be VERY careful, and learn the boat before you take youngin's out in the ocean....
  • I second that, get the P16. Motion is carried, do I have a 3rd.

Turbo
  • prindle! you'll outgrow the 14 instantly.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • thanks I live on the beach.

Getting to flat water means I have to trailer it and frankly im just too lazy for all that work.

Is is a good ride in 3ft++ swells????

Can one 230 pounder wright a capsized 16ft cat???
  • I with 4th the motion the P16 is the right choice compared to a H14 in your case, 230 is probably heavy for a H14. However learning how to sail in the ocean is not recommended. If that is you only option make sure you have someone experienced go out with you or have a chase boat. And choose your weather conditions carefully.

Please don't take the kids out until you are comfortable. Also have the proper safety gear with you, VHF radio, strobe light, whistle, GPS, wearing lifejackets, etc, etc.

The P16 will handle 3ft swells a lot better then you can until you get more experience sailing. You should be able to right a P16 at 230 if you are experienced at it, technique is key, waves make it much more difficult though.

You might consider a Hobie Getaway, that fits your criteria of casual sailing with kids very well, yet is still a fun boat.

edited by: smfinley, Apr 05, 2010 - 07:59 PM

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I just purchased a Prindle 16 with no cat experience. I actually took my basic keel boat training in St. Augustine and lived in Ormond Beach. I just went out for the third time this past weekend in about 14mph winds, with gust up to 22mph and flipped it twice during the 4-5hrs on the water. Partly because reefed sail was touch the block on the boom preventing the main from dumping the extra wind. I had no issues with righting the boat and I weigh about 230lbs. Here in Kansas, its gets gusty at times, so I'm just starting out with the main reefed in for now until my abilities in sailing increase. So far, I had a blast this past Saturday. I don't think you'd be happy on a 14' for too long. A 16' should do you just fine on those Lake Atlantic days! If I were you, I'd practice for a while in the ICW or any of the larger lakes in Central FL before punching through 3' surf. That's just me though, the guy with hardly much cat experience.
  • QuoteGetting to flat water means I have to trailer it and frankly im just too lazy for all that work.

I second ALL the comments about NOT taking kids out in the ocean without a chase boat (or at least another cat), and knowing your cat inside and out, and know how to right it solo, and CARRY a VHF and flares..

I have seen catamarans flip and get pushed away faster than you can catch them, i have seen skippers (with 50 years experience) fall off a catamaran, and the boat sail away.

I have been in the gulf at least 100 times when thunderstorms pop up in 20 minutes ...

I wouldn't say anything if you didnt mention sailing with kids.

I also agree that waves make a huge difference in righting a cat, also.. i would agree and suggest the Hobie Getaway if you truly want a pleasure cat for sailing with the kids..

edited by: andrewscott, Apr 06, 2010 - 07:27 PM
  • Be careful sailing through beach breaks. Many good catamarans have been destroyed by launching off the beach into heavy surf. Even a three foot surf will pound your cat into oblivion if if capsizes. Other than that, surfing your cat in through the breakers has got to be one of the greatest thrills around...bar flying a hull!

--
    Flightlead Bimare F18 HT SpaceCoast
    --
  • I started on a P18 so a 16 should be great. However I'm inland so no ocean for me. Got to say at my level or experience I'd be pretty nervous in the Gulf without a chase boat other cats I knew would be watching out for me and available to help.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I am a lttle concerned here. People keep responding that the "gulf" might be too much.

But i am not sailing on the gulf. I am sailing off St Augustine FL which is on the Atlantic Ocean. = Bigger Waves
  • I have been sailing for over 15 years and still do not like going out on Lake Michigan if there are not other boats in the area. Especially in rough conditions. I have no problem being out under small craft advisories with 3-5 foot waves, etc. as long as I have am not the only one out there and I know help is around if needed. "Stuff happens" and some stuff is hard to recover from if you are the only boat in the area. I try to keep my boat in very good shape but it is after all a 25 year old boat.

I hope you find a boat you like and build up your experience by sailing close to shore and in favorable weather conditions. Most importantly go out and enjoy yourself.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • i'm guilty of the same transposition error, for some reason when i first read the post i was thinking st. pete?...and i was wearing my beer googles, how can that happen?

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • STAUGSAILORI am a lttle concerned here. People keep responding that the "gulf" might be too much.

But i am not sailing on the gulf. I am sailing off St Augustine FL which is on the Atlantic Ocean. = Bigger Waves

I have fixed my post, sorry if i miss spoke. yes the gulf is much calmer (although the waves have a higher frequency. the ocean is much rougher launching and beaching. Waves are fun... till they hit you wrong...
  • you get used to launching off that beach and regular sailing will be boaring....thats like astronaught/rocket launch and land...keep extra rudders around and you and the boys will be viking warriors!!!!(except on catamarans)

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.