Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

i think I found a cat  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Have been watching this site and scanning craigslist for the last two weeks in every state around me, just found a 18 foot hobie with trailer for 600 I dont beleive i can go wrong with this boat. It is not a dart but I bet it is just as much fun.
    Any things that I should be looking at when I go look at boat. from the pictures it just looks dirty and might need new lines and maybe tramp. the sails look crisp and the rigging looks pretty new

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • Check the hulls for soft spots and any delamination at the deck lid lip where the top of the hull are epoxied to the rest of the hull. Also check for cracks in and around where the beams bolt to the hulls. Also check around the daggerboard trunks and rudders for cracks. Small stress cracks are probably expected but large cracks or flexing cracks are things to watch out for. $600 for a boat that needs some work sounds like a good price if you are willing and able to do the work yourself.

Also ask him to rig the boat for you. That way you know you have everything you need. If the boat hasn't been sailed in years, odds are something is missing. I would recommend replacing the standing riggings regardless of how it looks, you just have no idea how old it really is.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • i agree, that is a pretty complete check list Scott gave you.

• smfinleyCheck the hulls for soft spots and any delamination at the deck lid lip where the top of the hull are epoxied to the rest of the hull. Also check for cracks in and around where the beams bolt to the hulls. Also check around the daggerboard trunks and rudders for cracks. Small stress cracks are probably expected but large cracks or flexing cracks are things to watch out for. $600 for a boat that needs some work sounds like a good price if you are willing and able to do the work yourself.

Also ask him to rig the boat for you. That way you know you have everything you need. If the boat hasn't been sailed in years, odds are something is missing. I would recommend replacing the standing riggings regardless of how it looks, you just have no idea how old it really is.

well I have been emailing and waiting for the seller to find the daggerboards and the boom. she has sent me a bunch of pictures online but i dont know how to link them for you to look at and see if i am not seeing something. I have them on picassa web album, the boat is 1981 sail number 5242 very dirty she said she hadnt sailed it in a couple years. It has a comp tip mast was that an upgrade or did they always build them like that.
    Ted

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • an 81.... LOOK IT OVER GOOD. age of a boat would be my first clue & where's its stored~~ in a barn or outside, covered or not... ETC ETC .

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • The comp-tip would have been an upgrade on a 1981. I agree you need to check the boat hulls very carefully. 30 year old hulls could easily be in bad condition, look for repairs that have been done and for any soft spots or delaminations. Also check where the side shrouds connect to the hulls, in newer boats they added reinforcement (stainless bolt on plates on the outside) at those points since they were a weak spot. Boom and daggerboards are important to find before purchase. They can be hard to locate used and even harder to ship. You could post the Picassa link here to show the pictures.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I sailed an 81 Hobie 18 for 10 years and did several small upgrades to it. The 1981 boats are very well built, not the lightest made but they are very strong.

So as others have said, when you get hands on the boat, press firmly (don't bang on it) with your palms on all areas of the hulls. The decks should feel solid, the sides will give a little depending on where you are pushing and how strong you are. But you should feel or hear any crunching sounds or any certain spot that is way softer than others.

At $600 if you find a small area of softnesss (delamination) and the rest of the boat is great, then it might still be a deal and fix the spot.

Don't even consider the boat without the daggers and boom unless you find them in advance. (Check with David Myers at http://www.thebeachcats.com/PresailedParts if you don't find them in the classifieds here.

Let us see the pictures, if you have a Picasa web ablum just give the link. Or create an album in "Beachcats People" with your name and put them there.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • look out for "wavieness" in the hulls too.. look down them (from the bows or stern)... this could indicate delam, even if its not soft

• hey all i finally figured it out and have posted the pictures she sent me have a look they are in my album in beachcat people
    thanks,
    Ted

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • looks ok to me. if the hulls are solid and dont leak looks like a decent cat.
    the sails show some minor wear, esp on the batten pockets. very typical and they sell plastic tape/covers.

i would replace all the lines. probably all the rigging too to be safe..

i see a lot of cleaning in your future but could really be worth it.

PS my 83 h18 was "well tested" and a cheapie and i loved that boat.
  • Looks good to me as well. Just be careful with those rudders, those are the worst style rudders Hobie ever made.

--
    Stefan, Denmark.
    H14,H16,P16,P18,SC17,N5.8
    Team StaySail
    http://www.staysail.eu
    --
  • the EPO rudders are good & lite... I have thoes on both of my cats~~ 17 & 18 Hobies. The white ones could and do break, happened to me 2 times and not from grounding, just hard sailing~~ have some spares handy, or spares of anything... Good luck & SAIL SAFE.......

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Yes the white rudders can break, but also be careful of the rudder castings. Those are the old style castings and getting replacements is tough and upgrading to the new castings is probably the price of the boat. That style casting tends to break instead of pop-up if you hit something. Also make sure she has the jib, saw pictures of the main, but none of the jib.

Hopefully some elbow grease will get you a nice looking boat. Be careful of that tramp also, it may not last much longer before starting to tear, looks very sun exposed.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Good point Scott...... I didn't notice the castings, they will break when you go to beach it, so POP your rudders just before ya get to shore. If the cat is solid and ya like it~~ invest some money in it. The castings will expensive. Go in the want add's or post a note up there.

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • casting upgrades are more than the cost of the boat... i did the upgrade after i broke my casting on a hard beaching..

the white rudders are polyester and get brittle with age. i broke 2 in 1 month just sailing hard as well. it makes for an interesting day when you only have 1 rudder (esp when you fly a hull)

If you like it... go for it, i loved my h18

http://a611628.sites.myregisteredsite.com/a/cat/asn-fly-print-sm.jpg
  • Well all I finally heard from the seller and she has the boom and daggers, they were in the cat box....i THINK FOR THE PRICE IF THE HULLS ARE DECENT, I CANT GO WRONG..
    I am off to look at boat IT IS THREE HOURS AWAY SO i AM BRINGING CASH AND A SNOWMOBILE TRAILER IF IT LOOKS GOOD i WILL LOAD IT UP AND BRING HER HOME....WILL UPDATE TOMORROW, THANKS FOR ALL THE INSIGHT AND ADVICE, CANT WAIT TO GO FLYING AGAIN.
    TED

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • Ted, where's this boat at?????

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • oh, and I don't another !!!!

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • popeyez7Ted, where's this boat at?????

its in Sayre pa. which is just over ny border south ofIthaca as the crow would fly.

what do you mean i dont another is that the fact that yo own your own fleet already?
    where do you go iceboating that looks like a blast, we used to go ice skate sailing on lake George.

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • I forgot the word 'NEED'.... Ice sailin in Sodus Bay, ny and went up to lake Champlain. It's on YouTube, do a search on there~~ ice sailin, sodus bay ny.
    I had like 5 sail boats a few yrs ago. sold most of them, but kept my 17 & 18mag. I have a mono-slug (21 Pearson) that I'am going to sell this year, probably next month, gotta do a little work on it !! If the person is signed in his name will be at the bottom of the 'Forum page' clk on a name there

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.