Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Best Cat for Crazy Sailing  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Go big or go home. F18HT.
  • QuoteDoes an 18 get out of the water like a 16 or can you really feel the extra mass?

I believe you can feel the extra weight of the H18 when sailing. For me it is easier to keep a hull on a H16 out of the water then it is an 18. Both will come out of the water well but it seems like the 18 is harder to keep up. Could also be my fear of flipping solo on it icon_wink

I am however very happy I went to the 18 magnum. For me it is all about the wings and the extra space and comfort they provide. Not to mention being trapped out off the wing, which is a great experience, it gets you that extra couple feet in the air other 8' wide cats can not do. Not sure if I personally would take a standard H18 over a H16 if just sailing with up to 2 people.

If you move to Chicago and sail on Lake Michigan be very careful if you plan to sail solo.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • QuoteMy brain disconnects when I see that the 18 has less sail area than the 16. Why is that?

Not sure where you got that data, here is the data from the Hobie site (http://www.hobiecat.com/sailing/models_hobie16.html)

H18 Specifications:
    Length: 18'
    Beam: 8'
    Mast Length: 29' 7"
    Sail Area: 220 Sq. Ft.
    Weight: 450 lbs.

H16
    Specifications:
    Length: 16' 7"
    Beam: 7' 11"
    Mast Length: 26' 6"
    Sail Area: 218 Sq. Ft.
    Weight: 320 lbs.

I have owned both. The 18 is a more modern cat, handles crew/weight better (or at least can handle more) and is a fine boat.

That being said, they both are fun, they both can be wild and exciting in med-heavy air and neither is wrong.

the pros of the 16 are: lighter, millions of parts available, easier to right, and move around the beach and less sail shape tuning controls (makes it easier to learn/use) and handles waves well

Cons: pitchpoles a bit easier (flip forward), smaller trampoline area, less jib/sail shape controls (yes its also a pro)

the pros of the 18 are: more room on-board, points better to wind (and tacks) easier with boards and thats about it.

cons: HEAVY MAST, HEAVY BOAT to move around the beach, harder to right, flat hulls CAN make sailing in waves a lot rougher (some people love that)

IMHO.. i usually suggest people start with a 16 and move up. I PERSONALLY loved both cats.. but the 16 is a bit more WILD, easier to fly a hull,
  • It looks like the data on the the Hobie site at
    http://www.hobiecat.com/sailing/models_18sx.html
    is wrong for the 18, I'm not sure if that is actually the 18SX specs (the mast height is SX), if so I didn't know the SX has less sail than the regular 18-18SE-18Magnum.

Class specs for the Hobie 18 are
    Length 18'
    Beam 8'
    Min. Class Weight 400 lbs.
    Draft (Boards Down) 2'6'
    Mast Length 28'1'
    Total Sail Area 240 sq. ft.
    Hull Construction Fiberglass/Foam Sandwich
    Designers Hobie Alter & Phil Edwards

http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/?Page=2178

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Are you sailing solo, or with crew?

I saw you mention the Tornado and can tell you that they are fast. I think that Marstrom 20 Carbon is a little faster and Nacra just introduced a N20 Carbon that is expected to be fast. None of these boats are really geared towards anything but racing.

I sailed a Tornado Classic back in the early 90s and they are not that wild a ride. The beam means that they react predictably even in very heavy air and the high volume hulls prevent pitchpoling unless you are really pushing hard in large wave. The Squaretop Tornado may be a different story, but I doubt it. Tornados are also difficult to right and unless you have a crew member that is much larger than yourself, you will have trouble.

If you really enjoy feeling like your life is about to end, try a skiff. They may not be quite as fast, but the terror factor is definitely there. If you do want to stick to Cats, the true racing cats are probably not your best bet.

I would look for something light that you can move and right by yourself, but don't go so light taht the boat isn't durable. Unfortunately for you, the more modern designs are built for speed and stability.
  • QuoteIt looks like the data on the the Hobie site at
    http://www.hobiecat.com/sailing/models_18sx.html
    is wrong for the 18

I thought the data seemed odd... my 18 didnt weigh 450 (until i added the beer) and i thought the different models had different sail area.. at least by a few ft
  • QuoteThe Squaretop Tornado may be a different story

square tops don't add much to the craziness factor. they do add some power, but in a blow.. that extra sail area (top) flaps and shakes off air, and self de-powers a bit.
  • The square top Tornado also added an asymmetrical spin and double trap, but I suspect that you are right Andrew. The Tornado Classic was such a well balanced boat that I would be surprised if the class association allowed any changes that would cause it to be crazy.
  • andrewscott
    I thought the data seemed odd... my 18 didnt weigh 450

450lbs would be pretty heavy for an 18 foot boat. My 5.5 weighs in at 340lbs ready to sail. I think that the sl version with the jib and aluminum mast is only 375 lbs.
  • rpiper138
    450lbs would be pretty heavy for an 18 foot boat. My 5.5 weighs in at 340lbs ready to sail. I think that the sl version with the jib and aluminum mast is only 375 lbs.

my H18 was closer to 420 lbs, but add 20 or more for cooler and gear... (i carry A LOT of saftey gear and spare parts)

My Mystere 5.5 is rated at 415lbs ready to sail.. again add 20 for gear... ok 2 for gear, 18 for rum!~

edited by: andrewscott, Apr 05, 2010 - 05:46 PM
  • There is a H17 sport for sale on this website also. Again no connection to it, but it is in the Chicago area and a good solo or solo +1 boat. And at the price you could sail it for a while and then decide what your ideal boat would be and not loose much when you sell it.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • It sounds like the boat for you would be the Moth! Look it up, it is a foil concept that can out sail even an A-CAT. That looks like the most thrill you can get sailing. Also consider a windsurfer. If you want out of control feeling and are buy yourself they are fun too.
  • Here's a Formula 14... try this for crazy sailin. Watch this thing go..... ya got 9 mins
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nrCYTxQDtQ

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • QuoteHere's a Formula 14... try this for crazy sailin. Watch this thing go..... ya got 9 mins

Its SOOO CUTE!, i think i will call it... Mini-me

i was waiting for 10 clowns to crawl out of a hull

PS they are killing it, but so does my boat in 20 :)
  • Those Hobie 14s with Hooters were mine. I sold mine, with the 420 number and my friend sold the #99 one to the guy who was selling it on eBay. Don't know the result. Both were pretty cool.

They are Whirlwind mains and Hooters. Chip Buck really hooked me up.

The 14 with the Hooter was a blast. Upwind, you could sail it to about 8mph, then it was too much. In light wind, it would smoke anything. The square top was only good in heavy wind--a Dacron sail was faster in the light stuff. Down wind ANYTIME was holding on for dear life. I would hang off the back of the boat just to keep the bows up. Sometimes, I thought the boat wasn't even touching the water!

The big problem was righting the boat. I can right a 14 Turbo or Uni easily by myself at 165 pounds, but with the hooter--forgetaboutit.

...So, I'm on to a different project. A Supercat 15 with the same hooter as seen above. I sold the 14, but kept the Hooter rig. I wanted the Supercat because it has (what seems like) almost 3 times the volume in the hulls as the Hobie and it has the Supercat righting system. When you pop the shroud adjuster, it practically rights itself. That may fix the Hooter righting problem.

I think, though, if I was to do it again, I would get a Supercat 17 with a Supercat 15 rig on it and then add the Hooter or a spinnaker. Bigger sail plans don't always mean faster. I'm surprised anyone on a 14 with a 16 rig can keep it up right. There just isn't enough buoyancy. I figure that you can do a lot more with a controlable rig on some seriously buoyant hulls.

Just my 2 cents. I'll be posting pics of the Supercat when I get it done. I already have a self tacking jib on it..

Dan
  • One more thing--as far as a factory little bad ass boat--try a nacra 450. One of those with a Hooter or spin would be AWESOME.
  • Dan.... ya do have a pair !!! icon_biggrin I'd should'ave known one of thoes cats were yours.... way to go icon_wink

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • JimTomesIt sounds like the boat for you would be the Moth! Look it up, it is a foil concept that can out sail even an A-CAT. That looks like the most thrill you can get sailing. Also consider a windsurfer. If you want out of control feeling and are buy yourself they are fun too.

There is always kitesurfing. I hear that the learning curve is pretty steep, but it would definitely be a good adrenaline rush. To get any more intense than that you probably have to go to hard drugs.
  • The foiling moths are very fast. Watch the last 1/2 of this where he switches to a rig mounted camera, the stinkpot is really hauling ass trying to keep up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH9iXgh3fpA&feature=related

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Put that on my bucket list!! icon_eek

--
    Bonnie

Nacra SL 16
    Hobie Wave
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.