Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle rudders  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• They sell rudder shims kits, or you can make you own. They are about the size of a 50 cent piece and have a hole in the middle the size of the rudder bolt. Place 2 or 3 on each side of the rudder put the bolt back through and tighten firmly with the rudder in the up position so it will not drop. Now back the nut off just enough so the rudder will drop and then there should be no slop. The easiest way to put the shims in is to take a length of whipping line and thread it through the one side of the rudder casting first coming from the outside then through the shims, then through the hole in the rudder, then through the shims for the other side and finally through the hole on the other side of the casting. Pull the whipping line up from both side and everything should line up. Now put the bolt back through and tighten as I said so the rudder will not drop and then back off just enough for the rudder to fall. Should do the trick.
  • SawyerajI have a set of Prindle 16 rudders that have a lot of play. The casting has widened, or flared out, I guess from abuse. Now the rudders can wiggle from side to side. I want to bend the casting back to its original shape but I'm afraid to do that for fear of breaking them. Does anybody have any suggestions about how to fix this?

I had the same problem, get a butane torch and heat up the flared out area a bit so it is more likely to bend than break. I don't mean heat to melting or anything like that just warm it up I used a rubber mallot and tapped on it a bit or you could maybe even uses a vise.

The shim kits are nice also but what you describe seems more than they alone would fix as was mine. I have since bought 2 used casting off the classifieds here that I will start to get all the parts for to fit as and brand new down the road. New ones are $125 at murrays but if you watch you can get em used a lot cheaper. I got one all put together with line and the tiller arm for $50 from Pete Begle at Big Bear Lake, CA. And I just picked up 2 castings only is great shape for $30 each.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • If you do as I said in the above post and after you have finished that, take a wooden clamp or c clamp and pull it back into shape. I don't think I would ever use any form of heat on the casting made out of aluminum. I am guessing your boat is probably mid 80's which would make the casting about 25 years old. I also forgot to mention, I start from the tiller ext connection and make sure that it is snug, then I go to the tiller connector end and snug them up then I go to the rudder and casting as I stated and you will see a noticable difference when steering the boat. When all of the slop is out of the steering the boat will respond quickly and tacking will become quicker and smoother.
  • hey guys, I am looking for some prindle rudders, anyone knows of any for sale?
  • Have a pair. Email@ pbegle@charter.net Pete

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.