Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 500, 570 or 5.8NA - Newbie Question  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

• mummpI thought ATL76 really should know what this group is all about.
    Some of you know that I have falling in love with another boat, it ain't a NACRA, and good Lord forbid it ain't Hobie.

you gettin a sunfish?
  • damonAdmin
    andrewscottSO EASY A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT

True, but evidently too hard for a pirate. aaarrrrrghhhh!
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=34876

Surrender the booty! Aaarrrrrghhhh!
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=34944

Like I said, I can't embed a photo for scwat.

--
    Philip
    --
  • "Here, let me help you dry off your wet NACRA chick"
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=34912

--
    Philip
    --
  • I can see the banning's are coming.http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules/pn_bbsmile/pnimages/smilies/icon_lol.gif
  • QuoteMy crew did say she enjoyed the ride on your cute boat, slow as it was.
    --Philip

Haha... cute?... no.. they say... "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhoooooooooooooo!!!! Meeeeee Likeeeeeee, that was awesome"

PS i know for 100% fact none of those ladies (my crew) have ever been on or near you.. or your cats

• Well Andrew, I see the reason you demasted earlier this year...HAHAHA!
  • damonAdmin
    andrewscottI love how the same old question - gets everybody goin....

So true..

question: Which boat should I get?

answer: (in chorus) Get one like mine!

We all love our boats, which is why we have them and this site is so great. So many different boats, opinions, and crews. However it is Philip that appears to actually be in a picture with a girl, so he wins by my count.

My H18M is the best boat for my current situation, but that is irrelevant to ATL76. To me sounds like th 5.7 is a good option for him.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Quote will be sailing on inland lakes, mostly with my wife and son (under 10 yrs) so am looking for a cat that I can sail with them for fun and still have some excitement rather than just drifting along at 2knts or so. I probably won't be doing solo for a while but hopefully sail with my son when he gets older. I am about 190lbs or so.

That Rules out the 5.8NA. It's a lot of boat for a novice and very powerful.

That Rules out the 5.8NA. It's a lot of boat for a novice and very powerful.

I disagree. I could bring up a gazillion points but . . .
    For the moment, let's stop making recommendations based on the size and power of the boat. Steve made an important point early, and I think everyone should take a moment and digest his situation and learning curve. It would have been no different if his first boat was 16 foot or twenty foot boat, board or boardless. He got out there and learned to sail a beachcat, learned from mistakes, and learned about the dynamics of everything involved, which is similar across all makes and models. I've watched newbies get N20's and N6.0's and Miracle 20's and come up from no experience and do well. Again, the learning curve is the same whether it's 16 foot or 20 foot power monsters.

I'm dead set against recommending a boat other than the 5.8 (of the 3 choices) for ATL76. He's sailing on a lake (think summer winds {or lack of} on Lake Lanier), he is big, he wants to sail with 3 people, and he has some experience sailing. Putting him on a 500 or 570 is stupid.

Additionally, there is alot of multihull sailing talent with butt loads of experience on Lanier, and probably at the same club as there ain't many.

SO SIMPLE A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT! Pull up the boards, add downhaul, travel down, ease the main, furl the jib, pinch, blah, blah, blah. Managing power is doable and simple. It ain't hard. And, . . . and, it ain't no harder than the 500 or 570.

ATL76, get a boat, go to some of the local regattas and meet the fantastic folks involved in our sport. I recommend you take the boat to Spring Fever (Easter weekend) and Cinco de Mayo at Lake Lanier. You will meet everyone there, everyone is helpful, and you will get years of experience, knowledge and learning curve in just a few trips.

DISCLAIMER: I have sailed, owned, and/or raced on all the boats mentioned . . . alot.

--
    Philip
    --
  • well if nothing else he know we have different opinions here

there is truth to everyone's opinion.
  • andrewscottwell if nothing else he know we have different opinions here

there is truth to everyone's opinion.

Yeah Andrew, your probably right, to a degree. Problem is there is a difference between opinion and advise, and/or the perception of . . .
    It's St. Patty's, and I'm off to drink some green ale. Later guys!

--
    Philip
    --
  • Yep, opions are like...bellybuttons (censored version). Everybody's got one! Still good stuff with this thread. At the end it just helps people make an informed decision. I was the guy that went from the H14T to the N6.0...so the leap can be done, but I wouldn't have done it with kids on board (and after going thru the curve, my personal experience affirms this in MY case). So of all the advice, my opinion is go with what will get you on the water, keep you on the water, and make the experience the most fun for all involved. This may be a several boat process :)
  • OK WOW - got some advice like I asked for.

Found a couple of options that are for sale and am going to look at those. Will make a choice based upon location, age, condition between the 5.8 and 570. Don't want to start the discussion off again but will be sailing with one of those soon.

As some of you have said - make a choice and go.

So I am.

Thanks for all the help/advice/editorial commentary...all good stuff.

Now - on to the learning - thanks again.

• the obsession begins...now you won't be able to concentrate at work on windy days.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Absolutely, whichever boat you get will have a learning curve associated with it. Dont be afraid to ask questions when needed. You are likely to get the info you need minus the bikini pics and innuendo (hopefully). :) You are going to love it!!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Dont do it!!!!!
    Buy them BOTH!!!!

lol...hows that for advice?
  • Oh i think i misunderstood the question...

GET A MYSTERE! - hahah

just kidding, i would suggest you take whichever boat you want for a test sail... or at the VERY least make the seller rig it with you (Before you pay).. this will show you how to rig it, and will prove (or disprove) the mast will stand, the rigging is all there, etc.

i suggest u bring a pen and paper, there is lots of little things to watch and see... and learn.
  • QuoteHowever it is Philip that appears to actually be in a picture with a girl, so he wins by my count.

http://www.bodyhealth.com/html/biobuilde/images/zane3.jpg

By the way, thats us laughing at Philip! :)

edited by: andrewscott, Mar 18, 2010 - 10:30 AM
  • andrewscott
    QuoteHowever it is Philip that appears to actually be in a picture with a girl, so he wins by my count.

http://www.bodyhealth.com/html/biobuilde/images/zane3.jpg

By the way, thats us laughing at Philip! :)edited by: andrewscott, Mar 18, 2010 - 10:30 AM

There ya go again, Andrew . . .pointing at my transoms! :)

--
    Philip
    --
  • you can have the "plaque".... i will take the trophy :)

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.