Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mystere 5.0 Rudders. Hard lock-down or release on impact?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• i have 1 & 3/4" rake on mine...

i thought it was to much rake

has never inverted

maybe i will ask you to take a look when you are here Jeff, get you and catman to debate it... :)
  • Yours is a 5.5. Same mast setup as a 6.0 except they took a foot off the top. Because of that and a smaller main your don't get the loads a 6.0 has so you are OK as long as your diamonds are set correctly(cranked).
    What is Mike's setup?
  • i dont think they are overly tight. i look forward to your opinion next week.

QuoteWhat is Mike's setup?

TO FAST! he needs to depower, and drag a damn anchor!

ps he has a VERY VERY VERY (get it) stiff tornado extrusion. he has issues getting it to bend but he still is way to fast on it.

edited by: andrewscott, Mar 18, 2010 - 04:57 PM
  • OK, I'm back trying to complete preparations on my 91 Mystere 5.0 (after a two month distraction). The delron adjusting screws turn freely and lubrication and tension adjustment got one rudder working fine. The other rudder I had to change out the spring to a lighter version to get it to release. Now the question is how much spring tension, how much force should it take to make them release. Don't want them to release under normal operation but also don't won't to tear anything up if a hit something or run aground. Any thoughts or tips on how tight to set the rudder release point would be appreciated. Link to pics of the rudder mechanisms is below. Thanks.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=pictures&g2_itemId=72288

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --
  • the proper calibration for rudder release requires special equipment:

Items needed:
    boat
    trailer
    foot

the proper technique is to put the crossbar, and rudders on the boat when its on the trailer (or beachwheels can work but a trailer is a flat surface and you don't have to worry about your boat tipping fore or aft).

lock both rudders down and use your foot to gently sweep through the rudder... at what point does it break away? If you broke your foot.. they are to tight, if your shoe flew off as you swept through, your to loose....

really you want about 15-20ftp (footpounds) of pressure to release them. to lose and they will kick up when you are sailing fast (20ish).. to tight and they don't kick when they should, risking your transoms. so firm but not hard pressure should be about right.

dont forget after you adjust the tension screw to make sure they are still in the correct rake angle (u may need to re-set the rake adjuster screw to correct lee/weather helm)

edited by: andrewscott, May 18, 2010 - 11:06 AM

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.