Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 16 stepping the mast  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Correct! the main sheeting line attaches the boom to the traveler car for control purposes, there is a camcleat on the mainblock....http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=63051&g2_

but it is hardly used as a gust couild have you over in a jiffy, so when trapped out, the main sheeting line is held in one hand, the tiller in the other and you rely on your trap wire to carry your weight. If you loose your grip on the main sheeting line the cat depowers instantly dunking you into the water. On gentle breeze days, mainsheet is cleated off, body is stretched out on tramp soaking up the rays, or sweltering, whatever the case may be. There is no backup, perhaps one of the other more experienced sailors could explain why...... icon_confused

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • The side stays are connected fairly far aft of the mast base. I think this provides the rear stability for the mast in the event your main sheet comes loose. If I recall correctly on some monohulls the side stays are fairly even with the mast base. With the boom extending past the stern of the boat there really isn't a place to attached a "backstay". Even if you used the trap lines, you would need to relocate them often.

I have hearde if you are running a spin, you need to keep your main sheeted tight or you will have major problems with mast strength. But for basic sail configurations I have not heard of a backstay being needed.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • check out how to thread your mainsheet through the blocks at.... http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=63029

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • I think i am missing something here, but let me answer as far as i understand the questions: (meaning sorry if i am off)

QuoteTurbo like the idea too..definitly have to get the mast up some way in the back before canking her up

many people keep a ladder with them and prop it up under the mast after it is attached at the base to provide an angle. Also people try to build a tripod (or similar) out of pvc for the same reason (i did at 1 time) typically they only work a little but with the right engineering could work fine (mine didnt).

where i sail almost all the regulars trailer backwards (including me). this allows you to prop your mast on the mast trailer yoke and have your angle. there are many tricks to self stepping this way... i use my spinnaker halyard, tied to my jib furler ring. when i get my mast up.. i sheet and cleat my spin halyard to secure the mast as i move forward, hop off and tie up the forestay. others run a line from the forestay through their jib furler ring.

this requires a leap of faith that it will work and not come crashing down on your car. I was not able to have this faith with my h18.. but gained it with my mystere. i have never had any problems.

Quote....just a question..because I'm not too familar with the loads on a small cat..really the only"backstay"or rigging is the down haul on the boom/mainsheet traveler..

well the "downhaul is on the mast, not the travler so thats not the correct term, but i think you have the correct idea, that the leach of the main is your backstay.

almost no cats have an actual backstay of any kind (some people do modify one in rare occasions, like putting a huge symmetrical spin on a cat),

backstays are typically not needed except when you have a huge spinnaker out pulling your mast in unintended ways.

Quoteif for any reason you are on a broad reach or runnng and you loose the main sheet..my only guess is the mast is is going too..any body ever use the trap wires as back up?/

no, you wont lose your mast or break it (in normal sailing conditions, above 30knots all bets are off) if you drop your main sheet when on a reach or going downwind... as mentioned above you will simply decelerate very quickly... if you were out on the wire, you will take a very wet plunge (called t-bagging)

however if you have a spin out.. and accidentally uncleat your main and it pays out quickly.. you risk your mast (in med to heavy air).. but depends on the cat and mast and if it has spreaders and many other factors.

you really don't want your trap wires hooked up to your rear beam as a back up (backstay).. these would probably rub/shred your sails up pretty quickly, possibly effect/prevent rotation in a gybe and possibly behead you in a capsize..

edited by: andrewscott, Mar 11, 2010 - 03:35 PM
  • Ahh! I see what you mean, there is a tripod setup to the mast, forestay and 2 sidestays, what stops the mast from falling forward? The 2 sidestays are set far enough back to create a stable tripod, the 2 sidestays exert enough rear force that when you haul on the forestay and raise the mast vertical you have to overcome the force of the 2 sidestays pulling the mast sternwards. The sidestays have chainplates with 7 holes for adjustment so that one can rake the mast more sternward, the forestay has a 10 hole chainplate adjuster to help with this process.

I have lost the mainsheet many times and have been dunked dramatically but have never lost the mast because of loosing the main sheeting line. This setup was carefully planned by catamaran designers to create a most stable tripod which will resist most forces placed on it. The only time one is demasted is if any of the stays break, I hope I have explained this in such a way as to allay your concern

ALLAY
    1.to put (fear, doubt, suspicion, anger, etc.) to rest; calm; quiet.
    2.to lessen or relieve; mitigate; alleviate: to allay pain.

icon_biggrin

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • allay no fears mate just curious..I assumed it had everything to do with design..thanks for details...being a monohull sailor I just kept looking at it wondering under what circumstances the mast could pitch forward and avoid that paricular manuever

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.