Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

prindle 16 jib rigging  Bottom

• I'm still confused on the jib...I'm a monohull sailor just got a prindle 16..so question the jib zips around the forstay..I'm told it also zips around the jib halyard ..if that is the case how do you haul up the jib??I'm used to hooking to the head and pullin the halyard and tying off at the mast??so if the jib halyard is zipped in how do you haul it up and do your secure the end to a cleat...just in case you have to drop the jib..still not clear on this..glennbob
  • the halyard is on a turning block on top.

you feed the halyard through the zipper and as you pull down on the halyard... the head goes up.

you progressively zip... as it goes up. when you have it all the way up, and you have the desired jib luff tension, you secure it with a rolling hitch (or knot of choice)
  • thanks so the halyard I tie off at the bridle?so there is no way to quickly lower it from the tramp..??
  • andrewscottthe halyard is on a turning block on top.

you feed the halyard through the zipper and as you pull down on the halyard... the head goes up.

you progressively zip... as it goes up. when you have it all the way up, and you have the desired jib luff tension, you secure it with a rolling hitch (or knot of choice)
    so the halyard both ends are zipped in the jib?
  • pbgajathanks so the halyard I tie off at the bridle?so there is no way to quickly lower it from the tramp..??

Correct. Don't worry, it's not really an issue.

pbgajaso the halyard both ends are zipped in the jib?

Yes, the forestay and halyard both end up inside the sail to present a nice clean leading edge to the wind.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • my friend steve has the forestay tied to the ring (blue line) and is tieing off his jib halyardhttp://a611628.sites.myregisteredsite.com/a/cat/tornado/DSCF5162.jpg

Here is my jib furler, you can see the white line securing the forestay and my blue jib halyard (PS i use the same blue line to first secure my jib tack, then i use it as my jib halyard/downhaul)
    http://www.bodyhealth.com/html/biobuilde/jib.jpg
  • What no one is telling you is that usually the jib halyard is in 2 pieces connected with a sister clip. Once you get the jib up this clip should be located at the bottom of your jib pocket. You can then disconnect the extra section of halyard and stow it either in a tramp pocket or in your trailer gearbox.

I only recently got all this figures out myself and I still won't have mine setup right till I set the boat up for this season.

I know this is not what you were asking below but just in case you need it.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules/UserPictures/data/0-1246042856_24058.jpg

and

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules/UserPictures/data/0-1241121572_24058.jpg

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Even if the halyard went to the mast, you could not lower the jib quickly. The zipper would not let it slide down the fore stay.
  • The halyard attaches to an S hook which in turn is slipped through a loop at the jib head.
    Draw the halyard down inside the zipper area, zipper area encloses both the forestay
    and the halyard. The S hook will slide up to and then engage, as you pull the
    jib down, a floppy ring just below the halyard turning ring that is
    at the mating point between the upper forestay and the lower forestay.
    Pull up to the limit, draw down slowly to engage S hook, draw down sharply to
    prevent hook engagement. sister clips should be placed on the halyard so that
    it is near the bottom of the jibs zipper pocket with the jib fully raised.
    Jib tack line should go from the grommet, through the forestay / bridle
    wire clip then up to and secured at the clam cleat attached to the jib itself.
    On the P16 & P18 the jib luff tension is set and not adjustable on the fly.
    MX rigged boats are a different animal altogether.

Hope this helps.

edited by: ButchG, Mar 09, 2010 - 07:45 AM
  • You should be able to down load the Prindle 16 manual or order one from Performancecats.com
    It will be helpful in answering a lot of questions that will arise.
  • glad i read this post...when i got my boat, the jib halyard was run through cleat on mast. used it all season last year like that until the upper forestay pig tail snapped. thinking about it, that way "tweeks" the short cable by pulling it torwards the mast, through the jib keeps the pressure straight on like its designed...so i'll be doing it right this year...de-masting at warp speed was a little too exciting!!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • QuarathWhat no one is telling you is that usually the jib halyard is in 2 pieces connected with a sister clip. Once you get the jib up this clip should be located at the bottom of your jib pocket. You can then disconnect the extra section of halyard and stow it either in a tramp pocket or in your trailer gearbox.

I only recently got all this figures out myself and I still won't have mine setup right till I set the boat up for this season.

I know this is not what you were asking below but just in case you need it.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules/UserPictures/data/0-1246042856_24058.jpg

and

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules/UserPictures/data/0-1241121572_24058.jpg

thanks on this it does help..it makes more sense to me now...you haul the jib pull it back down to engage the s ring...that way it takes the load off the forstay which isn't very big and the jib pulls on the mast and the jib halyard assits the forstay on the load...with a clip you can just as you said remove the excess halyard and store it...my next question is about a 1/4 of the way up on the mast is a bracket fastened to the mast any clue on its use..right now just the jib halyard is attached to it..but I suspect it may have another use as it is really rivited to the mast ..possibly a way to attach something to help single hander raise the mast??
  • i would guess if its 7' up the mast (out of reach) it is probably just to store your halyard and forstay for trailing.. but i could be wrong
  • What does the bracket look like that is 1/4 of the way up the mast? On the front or sides of the mast? Does it look like the eyelet the stays and trap lines attach to up higher on the mast? Does it look like the brackets used on larger masts for diamond wires?

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • P-16 mast and jib could be a little different than what I am used to on my p18 so I am not sure what that cleat is for. The P16 I think has a pulley on both the front and back at the top of the mast and the p18 only on the back for the mainsail. Could be the p16 jib does go through the one on the front and cleat to that or it is used for something else entirely I am not sure.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • The tang on the FRONT of the mast is the main halyard catch for the mainsail.
    There should be a swaged ball on the wire leader for the main sail halyard.
    That catches the tang and holds the main sail up.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.