Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 20 Main Sail Problem.  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I have been having a problem with my 20 main sail. The comp tip actually is the problem I believe, anyhow when I hoist the main, the sail track on the comp tip opens and allows the sail to slip out. This makes it impossible to bring the sail down. It happens every time now. Now to get the sail down I must tip the boat and pull the entire sail up through the comp tip. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. - Daniel Evans.

--
    Daniel Evans
    N I20 Miami FL
    N I20, N 6.0NA, H 20, H 16 Chesapeake bay
    I have a hard time passing up a good deal on a big cat.
    --
  • First, is this a stock Hobie brand sail?

Do you notice any damage to the sail track? Does the sail track on the comptip part of the mast look different than the rest?

It sounds like you either have a damaged track, or the sails bolt rope is too small or maybe damaged?

Looking at the Hobie 20 parts diagram
    http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/PARTS_20.pdf
    It looks like the track is sold as a part #, maybe it could be replaced if damaged.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • As far as I know it's an original Hobie sail but I'm not positive. It is translucent and has the kevlar (maybe) looking fibers running through it. The sail track on the comp tip seems to be plastic and does bend pretty easily. The sail is very used but is very usable besides the fact that it pulls out at the tip. I had thought about trying to add fabric to make it thicker but I have no sewing skills at all. Maybe tape would work. I was hoping it was a common problem.
    Thanks for the parts diagram, I'll check it. - Daniel Evans.

--
    Daniel Evans
    N I20 Miami FL
    --
  • If it's a Hobie sail it will have a Hobie logo patch on it. Just asked because of possible bolt rope differences.

You might want to post pictures of the track and sail bolt in the problem areas.

Your problem is not common at all, so the cause should be apparent.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I can get some pics but not for a while. Everything is still up for the winter. I did notice on the parts pdf there are two tracks listed at the top of the mast. One aluminum and one plastic, maybe the aluminum on was a fix for the plastic. I had considered screwing with flat head screws the center of the plastic track to the comp tip. It seems like the center may be bowing out to allow the tip of the track to flex, thus letting the halyard pull the sail out. Also affecting the this is the way the main is pulled from a pulley aft of the mast up top. This I think induces mast bow and also pulls the sail outward from the track especially as the sail reaches the top of the mast. It won't be until May 1st that I start getting her ready to sail again. Just wanted to get a jump start on the biggest problem I had last year. Thanks again. - Daniel Evans.

--
    Daniel Evans
    N I20 Miami FL
    --
  • This would be a good topic to take up with a hobie dealer. If you tell us where you are (fill out your profile) we probably can point you in the direction of a good contact
  • I'm located in Southern MD. Zip code 20674. I can search one, but never considered them. Actually I've never been to one. Usually get parts from Murray's. I'd like to find another used Main but I know that's a different section. The seem few and far between too. Thanks guys.

--
    Daniel Evans
    N I20 Miami FL
    --
  • well perhaps i was wrong, i can't refer you to any in that area, perhaps someone else can?

but i would defanatetly talk with a hobie dealer. this may not be common but it may not be the only one. i am sure there is a solution.. but it may be a new comp tip (may be a used one somewhere)
  • what about googling hobie 20 pics and trying to find out if your main is an original hobie sail that way?

it sure does sound like a too small bolt rope problem...

http://images.google.co.jp/images?hl=en&safe=off&resnum=0&q=hobie%2020&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

edited by: erice, Mar 04, 2010 - 12:46 AM
  • The Factory Hobie 20 main sails are Mylar/Dacron laminate and pretty much all look like these.
    http://www.sculpturesbyclaire.com/Ch20lg.jpg

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Mine is not a Hobie sail if they all look like that. It's clear with a slight tint. Very heavy material and feels just like plastic. The thing is it didn't used to do that. Also the bolt seems big because it is difficult to feed into the feeder. It's frayed at the end a little. I'm going to look for some pics.

--
    Daniel Evans
    N I20 Miami FL
    --
  • Does it pull out of the track while you are raising it or while you are sailing? How hard do you have to pull in order to get the sail up? I saw where you mentioned the comp tip is bending as you are raising the sail. What condition are the pulleys at the top and bottom of the mast? Do they spin easily while under load?

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • i have heard of boltropes: shrinking, stretching, sliding and swelling.

i recently cut up a sail that was shot and was kind of surprised to learn the bolt rope was a styrofoam material. i dont know how this material could swell or shrink but perhaps some are made of other material.

It hurt me to cut up the sail.. but it had shredded across 3 pannels with no hope of repair.

I had jumped out on the wire, under full load.. and all of a sudden i fell about 1' down... i thought i was de-masting but realized.. i had more "twist" than possible... (it was sad) BUT.. it made a great window blind :)

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs156.snc3/18332_302878308601_530203601_3461496_723762_n.jpg

• Smfinley, It is extremely hard to pull the main up. The pulleys are in good shape except the center one at the base of the mast, so I use a side one. I've never seen it happen as I hoist the main but it could. See I have never locked the main in mostly do to it being to difficult to hoist fully. I get it close and cleat it at the bottom. I don't race just rec. I started tying the halyard to my ATV and backing up so maybe I over stressed it by pulling too hard. I did get some Mclube to ease the operation and it help a lot but still very hard.

AndrewScott I like the curtain idea. Very cool. I'm hoping my sail is still good for more than just that.

I got some pics of the sail today. I'll post once I find the cord to upload..

--
    Daniel Evans
    N I20 Miami FL
    --
  • Ok I have the pics but don't know how to post them.

--
    Daniel Evans
    N I20 Miami FL
    --
  • If you have them on your computer, first you have to get them onto the Internet so you can include their location (url) here.

Take a look at this thread for instructions and let me know any questions.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ewtopic-topic-11075.html

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I had this problem on my H21SE. It is also a common problem on the H18. You need to replace the top 12.5" of the plastic luft track with the aluminum luft track. It costs about $33 through your Hobie dealer and it is definiterly worth the money. Be careful when popping the plastic luft track off the comp-tip. You can easily damage the the comp-tip with the flat head screw driver( or what ever tool you use to pry it out)

edited by: flightlead, Mar 04, 2010 - 10:05 PM

--
    Flightlead Bimare F18 HT SpaceCoast
    --
  • QuoteI have never locked the main in mostly do to it being to difficult to hoist fully.

You should be able to raise the sail by hand. It sounds like in addition to replacing the track in the comp-tip you probably need to check the rest of the track for dirt and being dented. The track should be smooth and straight. Also look to replace the pulleys. It is amazing the different some maintenance on the track will do to make raising the main easier. My brother spent an afternoon working on his SuperCat 20 mast track and pulleys and raising the main went from needing 2 people to pull on the halyard (or 1 person really straining) to a fairly easy 1 person job. One afternoon of work made the last few years of sailing much nicer for him. I can raise my H18 sail by myself including feeding the sail into the track and pulling on the halyard, your H20 should be similar.

So I would investigate the cause of the friction that is making it so hard to raise the main, while you investigate the bolt rope popping out.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • The 12 inches of aluminum luft track solves the bolt rope popping out. Use a 'plug' to run up and down the entire length of the luft track to check for possible areas where the sail might bind. There is usually some binding at the junction of the comp-tip and the aluminum mast.

--
    Flightlead Bimare F18 HT SpaceCoast
    --
  • EvansDB78Smfinley, It is extremely hard to pull the main up. The pulleys are in good shape except the center one at the base of the mast, so I use a side one. I've never seen it happen as I hoist the main but it could. See I have never locked the main in mostly do to it being to difficult to hoist fully. I get it close and cleat it at the bottom. I don't race just rec. I started tying the halyard to my ATV and backing up so maybe I over stressed it by pulling too hard. I did get some Mclube to ease the operation and it help a lot but still very hard.

AndrewScott I like the curtain idea. Very cool. I'm hoping my sail is still good for more than just that.

I got some pics of the sail today. I'll post once I find the cord to upload..

My main was pretty hard to raise on my P18 especially that last 2-3 feet of it. It took 2 of us pulling from behind the boat and another by the mast make sure it was feeding into the track ok.

I took a sponge and some soapy water then wrapped a wash cloth around it and ran it through the entire track several times. I then let it dry and liberally applied MCLube to the inside of the track. I then clean the bolt rope on the sail as well as I could and again liberally applied MCLube to the entire bolt rope of the sail.

The last sail of the season last year I raised the main on my own standing right next to the mast where you have very little leverage. Hooked and set it first try and the downhaul all set and tied in before my wife who was coming to help could even get there.

I suggest you try the same If you watch West Marine sometimes has the MCLube on really goods sales as well good to stock up. I plan to make this part of my Spring tradition in getting teh boat ready for the year.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.