Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Shroud adj type  Bottom

• How many holes do the shroud adjusters on a 77' Nacra 5.2 have?

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • The 5.2/5.5 assembly manual can be seen here
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=35217
    There is a pdf download of the manual there also.

It looks like the shroud adjusters have quite a few holes, maybe 10?

What are you needing to do?

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=35303

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Mine are completly missing, so I was ordering some. On the Salty Dog site the description for the 7-hole ones mention "Nacra". I wonder if the pic above showing a 5.8 is the same for a 5.2?

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • 10 holes on mine too

less holes should be fine as long as your shrouds are standard length

think i use the 4th hole from bottom on my chainplates, meaning they are 6 holes too long
  • Nacra used the same adjusters on all models. 10 holes on the shrouds, 10 holes on the forestay. 7 will work on the shrouds no problem.

edited by: Wolfman, Feb 25, 2010 - 03:08 PM

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thanks guys.

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • Another quick question... I thought the forestay was a turnbuckle (mine missing here too). Is it an identical adjuster to the shrouds?

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • Yes it is also a 10 hole adjuster. At the bottom of the adjuster you will have to interlock the 2 bridal wire forks so you can insert them to one side of the adjuster. When interlocked they will not fit inside. There should also be a SS jib tack fitting that will also attach at the same point but will be on the side facing the mast. Line everything up and put a clevis pin through. Try and use a clevis pin that is close to the exact size that works to eliminate movement of the pin and also use a stiff ring in the clevis pin as well and use rigging tape to tape the ring.
  • Gary, go to this site
    http://www.nacra.us/

click on the header MANUALS. On the left column click on NACRA MANUALS, & NACRA. Also look along the right hand side, second from the bottom,"PARTS". These will get you PDF files that you can download. The parts manual has the part #s for the older NACRAS & PRINDLE CATS.
    I have a 1984 boardless/boomless 5.7, & quite a few of the parts are common with the smaller boats. Near the end of the document is a list of common parts. You should get the NACRA Assembly Manual & the Parts Manual. There are other nuggets to be gleaned from them, such as the size & length of different lines.
    You will also find that Murrays uses these same part #s for quite a few things.
    If the links don't work for you, PM me & I'll send them to you.
    This forum is a ton of help. I have received much good advice from MUMMP, ANDREWSCOTT, WOLF & others as a newbie rebuilding an old cat. I probably could have gotten it done, but why try to reinvent the wheel when others have done most of the experimentation, & refined some things quite slickly.

edited by: Edchris177, Feb 26, 2010 - 07:44 AM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • i've posted a pic of the forestay chainplate and bridle in the technical photo gallery here

http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=pictures&g2_itemId=72059
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=pictures&g2_itemId=72059

sorry bout that

for some reason i can't see the embedded pics, so i edited to post the url as well...

edited by: erice, Feb 26, 2010 - 09:12 PM
  • Eric, you posted the same picture twice...Did you have 2 different ones in mind?

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Gary, here is a picture of my bridle as it came off the boat.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=72065&g2_serialNumber=4&g2_GALLERYSID=80ad5d91eafe5a0f23e955450aa8900a

Cable on left is forestay. Cable lower center is jib halyard. One shackle is to attach to head of jib, the other to attach tack of jib to the stay. I think previous owner just attached them together when they stored boat for winter. I'm not sure what the tang with 2 square holes that is bolted to chainplate is for.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    I also noticed they used a quick connect pin to secure the forestay...that is definitely going to be replaced.

edited by: Edchris177, Feb 26, 2010 - 01:22 PM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • That is pretty much the same as mine. The tang is for a Davis type wind indicator. I actually don't like the way the 2 bridles are attached to the chain plate. I put a bow shackle on the chainplate and one on each bridle wire to attache them together, it's a bit more money but a cleaner setup.

That type of quick connecter is pretty secure, mine came rigged similarly and I ran it that way without any problems. I did switch to a normal pin and ring ding though about half way through the season, and I wouldn't trust it on a roller furling rig.

edited by: Wolfman, Feb 26, 2010 - 01:48 PM

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Look on page 39 of the nacra manual for the proper way to rig this portion. The other part questioned in the photo is for an apparent wind indicator, it allows you to remove the indicator while not sailing.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.