Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Beach Wheels  Bottom

• I have noticed that a lot of sailors would like a set of beach wheels without the large price tag. I was one of them. I purchased a older set supper cheep a year ago. They had golf cart tires. The tires were old so I replaced them with used tires I got for free from a golf cart shop that has to pay to dispose of old ones. The tread was thin but for beach wheels we wont wear out any tires. When replacing the wheels and tires I found that these are very simple. Only a galvanized pipe covered with pvc and golf cart hubs. I can get all the parts for under $40 to make a set. If there is any demand out there I would make and sell sets for $80 plus shipping or could post designs for free if people want. I live in Phoenix and used hubs and wheels are all but free. Only the Tires may be warn, but will not have dry rot.
  • I know a lot of sailors would have beach wheels if the price were less. I have investigated the construction of the hubs. The hubs are just ATV hubs with flanges to connect to a water/sand rinsing bearing and one tube and one axle. I found tires at www.tiresunlimited.com . The Nankang slick is about $40 each new and light weight.

--
    Steve
    H14, H16, H17
    --
  • sportjet15I found tires at www.tiresunlimited.com . The Nankang slick is about $40 each new and light weight.

Which size/model do you think is equivalent to the ones used on the CatTrax? Please provide a link.

For everyone's information, Florida Sailcraft, the makers of CatTrax, do sell all the parts, including bare tires.
    http://www.floridasailcraft.com/CatAccesories.htm

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • JimTomesI purchased a older set supper cheep a year ago.

Do you mean you purchased a set of home-made beach wheels?
    QuoteI can get all the parts for under $40 to make a set. If there is any demand out there I would make and sell sets for $80 plus shipping or could post designs for free if people want.

Home made beach wheels remain one of the "holy grails" of do-it-yourself. Many designs have been created, and some actually work well in specific conditions, usually they work best on hard ground or paved conditions and where they don't have to be carried long distances, since home made tends to be heavy compared to store bought.

So unless you imagine to create a business off building beach wheels out of used golf cart parts, please post some pictures, parts list, and instructions for your version.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Damon thanks for the link for cat trax parts, I have been looking for the derlin roller bearings.

When i bought my boat it came with a set of cat trax but alot of the derlin rods were missing. Is one set (40 pcs.) enough for both tires?
  • kinlawk Is one set (40 pcs.) enough for both tires?

don't know about that, probably should ask them before you buy.
    http://www.floridasailcraft.com/contact.htm
    tell them TheBeachcats.com sent you. icon_lol

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Yes 40 is enough, exactly 20 per side. You only need to order the few that are missing.
    kinlawkDamon thanks for the link for cat trax parts, I have been looking for the derlin roller bearings.

When i bought my boat it came with a set of cat trax but alot of the derlin rods were missing. Is one set (40 pcs.) enough for both tires?

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.