Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

WING SEATS HELP!!!!  Bottom

• HELLO OUT THERE SAILORS

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY HAS FOUND WING SEATS FOR A HOBIE 16 THAT ARN'T A 1000 DOLLARS,SIT N SAILS BRAND IS NICE BUT EXPENSIVE AND HOBIE MAKES 3 KINDS BUT CAN'T FIND WHERE TO ORDER THEM ONLINE OR EVEN A PRICE.

HAS ANYBODY TRIED MAKE WING SEATS I WAS THINK ABOUT DOING THAT
    KINDA COPYING HOBIE'S SPORT MODEL. icon_cool
  • Lots of people have tried to build their own wings, I've seen a few versions. One of those things that is easier thought of than done.

The SitNsail wings were very well done, unfortunately the owners have stopped production due to health issues. Last I heard they were looking to sell the business and patents.

Here are some drawings of homemade wings for a Hobie 14 which has the same structure as a H16.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=10833
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27558&g2_serialNumber=3

and here are some for a Nacra that might give ideas.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=11694

If you end up building wings please take lots of pictures and document the process for the next beachcat sailor.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Also meant to mention that Hobie doesn't make wings for the Hobie 16, never has, although there is a thing called "trap seats" meant for handicapped sailors.

The "three types of wings" you might have seen are for the Tiger and some Euro models.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Hi Damon,
    I wanted to show you my new Hobie 16 wings. The water in the Northwest can be pretty chilly and I never enjoyed sitting in a puddle, plus sometimes my legs would cramp up after a while, so I decided to design some wing seats. I didn't want to mess up the structure so they bolt on with no drilling. They fold inside legal trailering width and the mounting design puts very little stress on the frame. I sailed with them for the first time recently, and they worked really well. My son trapped out a foot farther out than normal, and I was out farther too, so stability was very good.
    Here's hoping this link works...
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=73262
    Gerry

edited by: GerryMorelli, May 07, 2010 - 08:26 AM
  • ~~~ sit n sail has been back in business for a couple of years now..... Guys like us just get bigger boats with seats attached.. icon_biggrin

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Impressive looking build quality. How do you handle the side shroud for the mast? Do you remove the shroud before holding the seats in?

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • WOW! those look great~!

my concern would be in the event of a capsize they may make righting "Interesting" but with your sail plan, capsizing may not be as big of an issue

PS Gerry, any relation to the Morrelli & Melvin team?
  • The shrouds go through the legs, so the wings have to be flipped out before stepping the mast-takes a few seconds. Here is the wing with earlier hardware and cedar finish, but the shroud location is the same.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=73293
    My jeans didn't get wet at all when I sailed with them, so I don't know about a capsize. They do fold in pretty easily. For now I lashed them to prevent unwanted folding, but I expect to figure out some quick disconnect hardware.
    Morrelli and Melvin - do I wish! Gino Morrelli spells it differently. I would love to spend some time with him in his studio - that team has some great designs!
  • Good job, looks like great craftsmanship. Did you manufacture that completely from stock metal?
  • Thanks. I'm an engineer and the CAD design is in SolidWorks. (If I could figure how to post a picture in this window I would attach a rendered image) Most of the parts are custom fabricated sheet metal so I could keep the weight down to roughly 20 lbs per side. Early on I used a stock extrusion for the mounting base, but I bit the bullet and did a custom base because it looks so much finer. A few parts are still machined extrusions (I love SpeedyMetals.com!)
  • GerryMorelliThanks. I'm an engineer and the CAD design is in SolidWorks.

Too cool! what would be the feasibility of offering these for sale? What would be the projected cost per pair?
  • Since the second sheet metal piece is way less expensive than the first I built two sets of wings, so I could make the second one available. Early on in the process I realized how cool wings are and that there are not a lot of choices for a Hobie 16. It occurred to me others might be interested in these, so I refined the design and developed some sources. I don't want to abuse the forum with an ad, but I think I would be able to offer them in the $700-750 range, depending on the build qty.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.