Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Question on Uni-rigs  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• [quote=Fastfarmer15]
    andrewscott
    Quote. . . How can anyone drimk more than 1 bottle a day?

Well by sharing with others of course!

Haha, i always bring enough for others...
    I got in a bit of trouble a few weeks back when i didn't bring out any rum, i was told i need to send out a newsletter in the event "the bar was not going to be open" :)
  • ericeyes, you've got to be sailing as high as possible,

Often the problem is that the new sailor is sailing "too high" and pinching into the wind with no power or speed relative to what it should be. Then they throw the rudder over hard creating drag like a sea anchor, boat barely turns directly up wind and comes to a stop.

Make sure that "as high as possible" is "high as possible" while maintaining full power and speed for the conditions, even drop off a point or two to make sure the sails are fully engaged before beginning the talk.

On most cats it's important to release the main sheet a bit (6 inches to 2 feet depending on your setup) "as you begin the tack" to prevent the weather-vain effect where the centered and tightly sheeted main want to make the boat point directly into the wind.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Can someone explain why all of this is more difficult in "high winds"? My immediate logic tells me the more wind the quicker and easier all this should happen. Are we assuming higher winds = larger waves pushing the hulls in the opposite direction we're turning? It would seem with higher winds would equal more speed which would make the actual tack quicker and easier. What am I missing?
  • Quoteeven drop off a point or two to make sure the sails are fully engaged before beginning the talk.

How is this "taLk" supposed to go? something like this? "ok boat, we are going to tack now, are you ready? are you willing? ok on the count of 3.. we will start... "

Sorry Damon, couldn't resist :)
  • Part of what you are missing the weather vane effect (yes waves etc also can be tough to work with). Where your boat wants to point straight into the wind and stop there. This is often called being in "irons", where if you try to go left or right the boat keeps wanting to point straight into the wind, and you actually start going backwards. This happens more in heavy wind, probably due to the speed of the wind increasing the force it pushed on the boat to keep it in irons, when compared to the force of your momentum going in the tack.

Damon also makes very good points about keeping your speed up before tacking, and the need to let out an "arms length" or so of line once you start your tack.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • QuoteCan someone explain why all of this is more difficult in "high winds"? My immediate logic tells me the more wind the quicker and easier all this should happen.

you are correct... but it's all relative (and has a threshold/limit). It sure is easier to tack in 13 knots vs 3 knots (as you may not have the speed, power or motion to complete your turn through the wind)

QuoteAre we assuming higher winds = larger waves pushing the hulls in the opposite direction we're turning?
    where that would be a factor, it doesn't really change the fact that above a certain level, tacking needs to be more precise.

IMHO 25+ is a good amount of pressure pushing you backwards and sideways (when you are turning head into the wind) that will slow you down, and work against you.

Also every knot added makes everything that is wrong, more wrong/multiplied (i.e. over-steering, not releasing some main at the right time, releasing the jib at the wrong time, weight in the wrong location of the cat, etc)

QuoteIt would seem with higher winds would equal more speed which would make the actual tack quicker and easier.

well you started this questions with "i furled my jib" this is a huge factor. Then you mentioned you lifted your boards, compounding the difficulty in pointing/turning/tacking

another possible factor is in winds above 25, it is hard to keep the correct mast/main shape. I find in that range i get a huge S curve in my main (back-winding on the mid section). This certainly isn't helping me tack. It usually takes me a good amount of adjusting on all my controls to get it out without overpowering myself into stuffing
  • Okay yep, the weather vane thing makes sense. More wind = more weather vane effect. Learning is awesome.
  • andrewscott
    Quoteeven drop off a point or two to make sure the sails are fully engaged before beginning the talk.

How is this "taLk" supposed to go?

Ok smartass, on my boat it goes...

Prepare to Tack!
    Tacking!

Followed by a perfectly executed tack.

Now you know. icon_evil

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I was going to follow Andrews comment, with a jab at Damons' "weather vain", as in well, if you have vain weather, you're just screwed.
    But now that I know how things work here, no way. I'm not going to comment on typos, bad English, poor grammar etc. I'm going sailing whatever the weather, vain, or not! icon_biggrin

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177I was going to follow Andrews comment, with a jab at Damons' "weather vain", as in well, if you have vain weather, you're just screwed.

****! ****ing spellchecker failed me twice in one ******* post!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • hahah
    NICE!!!!!

• i don't usually use the term "weather vane"

i usually say "weather-cock"

but the family friendly automated software here thinks i'm trying to be rude and astericks the 4 letter word out

the word it finds unfamily friendly is the same as male chicken

which was often used on weather-vanes in the past and so has led to the term weather-cock

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.