Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

mystere gaskets  Bottom

• Hi Larry, i didn't want to hijack the other thread... so here are the pics you requested...

PS i made shore the shibu got in at least 1 for you :)

here is a template gasket and uncut gasket
    http://a611628.sites.myregisteredsite.com/a/gasket.jpg

here is a torn and needing replacement gasket (the other side is totally gone)
    http://a611628.sites.myregisteredsite.com/a/gasket2.jpg

http://a611628.sites.myregisteredsite.com/a/gasket3.jpg
  • Andrew Thanks.

Ok - Not knowing the boat...

What am I looking at in the last two pics?

Bottom of hull/trunks? Curved area is throwing me off.
  • PS: I know that look....It's... "This is unusual." "What are we doing next?"
  • Andrew,
    I cut the center after the gaskets are on the boat. Much easier to replace. Cut the length, Trim the corners. Apply with contact cement. Tape a straight edge to the bottom of the boat and cut. Sailing off the beach I have to do this more often then you guys on the west. I have tried everthing I can think of to keep the front edge from tearing. I can't go the way Mike did(mold the well to the shape of the front of the centerboard and just put the gasket on the trailing edge) because you end up with a centerboard well full of sand.

Jeff

edited by: beachsailor, Jan 21, 2010 - 02:15 PM
  • thanks jeff... i will try to cut it on the boat next time... good idea. another thing catman does is cut the 2 strips totally apart and overlap a bit and trip around the boards when down.

Larry.. yes that is the bottom part of the bow (camera facing up from below it)
    you can see the tape applied (actually curling back and in need of replacement)..

Our gaskets fill with rocks too.. but i thought this MIGHT be a possible way to keep your wells shut when the boards were out..
  • I tired the overlap but then the gaskets don't sit flat with the boards up and the sand just rips them off. Coming in thru the surf the only option(unless the surf is very small) is to sail right up on the sand. No problem as long as you keep the boat going straight. When you spin the boat into the wind you lift the bows and pivot on the sterns. This keeps the gaskets clear.
  • yes, i feel your pain! :)

i went through 1/2 dozen pairs the first year, and learned most of the stuff the hard way. i now have it down to a science.. but it takes hours of work on my back the old cement 100% off. the biggest lesson i learned was to do 2 coats of cement (in the correct heat/humidity).
  • What are you using for cement? I use regular contact cement. Works great and comes off with acetone. Coat the hull area and edges of the gasket, let dry (about 10 min). Place, cut and done.
  • the same, dap contact cement. I find after 6 or more months it takes about an hour per side to get it 100% removed. The cleaner the hull, the longer it stays on. I coat the hull and 10 min later i re coat it.. i also do 1 coat on the gasket... and then do my best using painters tape to get it on straight first time... as you only get 1 chance at a good seat.

i think your idea of cutting it after will make the seating a little easier. :)

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.