Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

A life living on the water  Bottom

• I find this story quite interesting; and raises may questions as to what it would be like.

Here's the jist of it. A northern Michigan girl is introduced to sailing at a early age due to her fathers passion of sailing. She goes to college, moves to Colorado, gets a masters degree,moves to the east coast and then becomes a teacher. At age 30-31 with the economic downturn she decides to sell all her worldly possession (including her car) and buys a boat. She decides that she wants a life at sea, so she downsizes to the bare minimum and Teresa and her cat are now living on the ocean. Currently she sails along the east coast north in the summer and south in the winter. Eventually she plans to travel the world upon her new vessel.

She's had several front page articles in local newspapers.

Its really hard to imagine all the things that would be different that we take for granted; but on the other hand there are many adventurous opportunities as well. She was nominated for best travel blog. I'm a betting man, I'm betting one of the cable networks pick up on this and makes a reality show out of it. (doesn't hurt that she's very photogenic as well) I've always said "if you can take the audience to a setting where they are not familiar with, it will sell" Sick of the pre-fabricated, scripted reality shows charged with fake drama. Finger down my throat and puking.

Check out the video it's pretty good. Even the anti-monohullers should find it interesting.

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsV1VAPzjzc

Her site
    http://sailingsimplicity.com/

edited by: Spray_in_the_face, Jan 06, 2010 - 07:35 PM
  • Thanks for sharing Jim..... That is just so cool, I wish her all the luck!!! I'll go through her blog some other time in the wee hours when I'am bored and on the puter.
    (Maybe I can do that, unemployed & almost retired icon_lol )

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I AM IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!

haha please dont tell my gf! :)

just kidding but WOW she's got brass tax...
    increadable, i couldn't imagine.. i have had hot water problems for the past 2 weeks and have taken about 6 showers with a 3 gallon pot and a coffee cup.. i couldn't imagine life with no shower (i doubt that little 24' has one).

i spent 5 days on a new 49' foot lux yacht in the Med, and it wasn't really luxury. it was cramped.. we had to conserve water (no showers) and i got a hotel when we hit Santarini so i could get a good nights rest.. again WOW!
  • Holy. Crap.

Why won't it let me write '[lessthan][three]'?

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • less than three
    lessthan three

edited by: andrewscott, Jan 07, 2010 - 02:11 PM

• ...more than one way to skin a cat.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • ummmm did you send me a heart?

i feel violated... and it wont wash off!!!!
  • This thread went from catamarans to creepy icon_lol
  • A good friend from the bush pilot days in the arctic did that. After moving south he lived on his 38' Rafiki while he built a place on an acreage on Pender Is (off of Vancouver Canada).
    When things went to hell with the airlines he took a 2 yr LOA & sailed down to the Baja, then across to Australia, longest stretch, 31 days from Baja to Hawaii.
    He claimed that once you got used to it, you really didn't need very much, most of what is in the modern kitchen is superfluous.
    As the Aussies say, "good on ya", kids,wives, fear of the unknown keep most of us locked in til retirement or death.

edited by: Edchris177, Jan 08, 2010 - 06:01 PM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • When I lived in St Croix we knew a lot of lifetime sailors. All it takes is money and knowledge. This was back before ATM cards too. One family of three daughters and their dad got to know us pretty well. My brother almost married one of them. The dad would pull into port and offer his services as a marine mechanic to raise money. Always a motor in need of attention. So it helps to have a ready demand skill to fuel the tank and fill the cabinets. They literally sailed around the world. The daughters were in their teens and I imagine were getting tired of it. No roots, no social life. Even a larger boat gets small if one lives on it long enough.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.