Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Broken N20 Mast Base Casting  Bottom

• Hi all. Just purchased a 2001 N20. Had a question regarding a partially broken mast base casting. I don't have a picture at the moment but the damage is to one side of the casting. Essentially, one of the holes where the clevis pin goes through has broken off. One hole still remains. Is there any danger during sailing in regards to the mast getting knocked off if (when) I capsize or perhaps in strong gusts or maybe another condition?

I was able to step the mast down with no problem for winterizing this past weekend. From previous posts it appears that the two holes for the clevis pin are purely to aid in stepping the mast. But it would be nice to get some ideas from people more experienced. Thanks
  • I already posted a reply about the mast stepping pin but forgot to answer the other part of the question. Your mast will not get knocked off while sailing unless there is a shroud or forestay failure. Shroud and forestay tension along with mainsail downhaul tension will keep the mast firmly in place even in very heavy seas.
    jpeilHi all. Just purchased a 2001 N20. Had a question regarding a partially broken mast base casting. I don't have a picture at the moment but the damage is to one side of the casting. Essentially, one of the holes where the clevis pin goes through has broken off. One hole still remains. Is there any danger during sailing in regards to the mast getting knocked off if (when) I capsize or perhaps in strong gusts or maybe another condition?

I was able to step the mast down with no problem for winterizing this past weekend. From previous posts it appears that the two holes for the clevis pin are purely to aid in stepping the mast. But it would be nice to get some ideas from people more experienced. Thanks

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.