Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mast Base  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• those cleats look like they're for the mast rotator, although if there's more we dont see they could be for a barberhauler i suppose.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • The jib blocks get attached directly to the side tracks. With that setup there is no need for a barberhauler, you just adjust the jib blocks fore or aft to get different spacing between the jib and the mainsail. Those cleats are most likely for the mast rotator.

Eveything I can find on mast rotation for a boomless cat says you don't really need it and the setup is really simple for those that do have it. Apparently you can face the wishbone fore or aft and you just run a line between the eye of the wishbone and the cam cleats on your front beam. Set them to limit the rotation where you like and make sure they are cleated with the same amount of line on both sides.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules/UserPictures/data/0-1261411495_20330.jpg

Here is a pic of the mast base on my '97 N6.0. Honestly the only time they become useful are on the really light air days (setting the foil and eliminating mast swing to get keep good airflow). Normal and heavy sail days, I don't rig it. Most outings I would like it gone so the jib sheet would quit getting fouled when I tack...
  • I can see having the wishbone out front gives one less item to trip/stub on.
    Where does the line terminate after it goes through the block, there must be a cleat somewhere? It looks like that setup controls/eliminates mostly clockwise rotation. Do you switch the line to the other side when the mast is rotated the other way?
    I assume that green bungee is to prevent the jib lines from hanging up.
    Mine is much more of a wishbone shape, with the ties right at the end, I think a bungee rigged like yours would be more effective, especially when combined with a preventer from the ends of the V brace bar terminating at a point 3-4' up from mast base.
    If it really doesn't do much, I may leave it off after I remove it to straighten, at least until I get to the point where I can appreciate finer tuning.

edited by: Edchris177, Dec 21, 2009 - 11:52 AM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I would just remove it and seal the holes. Looking at the 570s it doesn't look like they even have a rotation control on them. One less thing to worry about, and if you think you need it you can always add it back.

Look here for the jib setup:
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=pictures&g2_itemId=63151

this is from a Mystere but is is basically the same system as on your boat. The line to the left with the pulley on it just attaches to the jib clew plate.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • FYI that mystere is rigged wrong (they are not utilizing the 4way adjuster for in/outhaul) but it will work (better downwind when you want that slot open and the jib cleat out to the hulls)
  • IMHO I would just delete the device and enjoy that much more sail time on the water, instead of rigging and derigging that widget. Also that pic shows basically it "half rigged". You would duplicate the line on the other side to complete. And your right, the line does terminate thru a cam cleat. When it is fully rigged it will keep the mast from rotating in either direction, thus allowing you to set it to the angle of the wind. Right again, I did put the green line to "help" in stopping the jib sheet from fouling, but in a blow thats usually where it ends up.
  • The mast rotator on the boomless rig is used in light air going upwind to get a little shape in the sail. It?s also used in light air with chop or boat wakes both up and down wind to keep the sail from flopping back and forth and shaking the shape and air out. The other times I have used it is when I?m a little off wind in a blow, with the downhaul maxed, with the windward hull still trying to pop up. Rotating the mast in this condition will take some of the power out and smooth out the healing and giving you forward drive instead of the hull wanting to pop up, just like shifting from a low gear into a higher gear or overdrive.

It?s normally the last adjustment I make and the first I undo. Always uncleate this line before a tack or jibe. Not doing this could result in broken battens, holes in the sail and possibly a broken mast. One other thing, only cleat this line on the windward side and do not cleat it unless it is being used. I always tell my crew when to put it on or when I put it on so that they can remind me to take it off.

Give yourself some time and learn the rest of the boat before using this adjustment.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.