Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 18 jib halyard  Bottom

• I've got the jib with the zippered luff. Raising drill: shackle sail head to S hook, start zipper around forestay wire and jib halyard line. (I am putting both the up and down parts of the halyard inside the zipper pocket) hoist the jib, closing zipper as you do until S hook just passes ring, pull tack gently until it hooks.
    Okay, that's all good, now it says in the manual "Unlock the bummel hooks from each other and store extra halyard length in one of the pockets on the trampoline" I only have about three feet, it won't even reach the trampoline. And why the brummel hooks? I must be missing something. Can anyone enlighten me on this issue?
    I've just been making a gob by wrapping the three feet around the bridal. Looks like s*** on a white duck.
    help!
    Curt
  • The jib halyard SHOULD consist of two pieces of line aproximately same length with sister hooks on each end. When jib is raised, excess line is unhooked via sister clips, wound up to be stored in tramp pocket. I don´t recommend storage there, but somewhere on shore as in event of capsize, righting line or main halyard stored in same pocket can pull jib halyard out to be lost. Pete
  • It sounds like someone has shortened your jib halyard. With the jib up I have about 20' of line in hand. I have to unzip the luff a bit to get to the brummel hooks. I then detach and store this line. With only a few feet of halyard like you have I would be tempted to just let it hang and not worry about removing it.
  • Pete and Jeremy,
    Thank you so much for your input. So I guess it is correct to have both parts of the halyard inside the zipper? I am sure you are right about someone shortening the halyard. I'll see if I can shorten it even a little more and just stow the excess inside the zipper pocket.
    Curt
  • If i understand right you should have the line tied to the S-hook and it should be long enough to reach a little past the pigtail at the top of your forestay. Then you have a brummel or sister clip installed then a second length that should be long enough back down to the bottom of the forestay to use for hoisting the jib. Once up you have a little downhaul line attached to the grommet at the bottom of the sail that you pull tension on the sail and tie off after the hook is set in the ring. After this is done you remove the excess line at the clip and stow it away. Do you just leave the line loose in the zipper pocket? I have had a couple times I know I had the ring set and thought I had the downhaul tied off good and tight but I have got out and noticed the jib was sagging and was no longer in the ring. If the line is looses in the pocket and this happens the line could raise enough to be unreachable and make it nearly impossible to fix this without laying the boat down on the beach.

Do any of use a block on the pigtail to run this through or do you just run it through the eyelet of the pigtail?

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I just wrapped the excess tightly around the bridles and tied it off until I got some sister clips to do it the way the manual shows. If you get some sister clips just cut it about 1 foot above the forestay turnbuckle or chainplate, and tie it to the sister clips. Tie the part you cut off (or any crappy line you have laying around) to the other sister clip.

I prefer to keep it on the boat with me just in case.

Edit: Cut it AFTER hoisting the jib.

edited by: yurdle, Dec 05, 2009 - 12:12 AM

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
    Do any of use a block on the pigtail to run this through or do you just run it through the eyelet of the pigtail?

IIRC there's a block on the mast. The halyard runs straight through the ring, it doesn't turn around the inside of it.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Mine just goes through the top ring. No block. None needed, the sail is so light.
    But let me try to get this straight. There are two sets of brummel hooks? So a length of line is completely removed and stowed when the sail is raised?
  • Page 13 of the manual describes it...no block, but two pigtails and it runs through the ring on the bottom one, loops back on the top one and back through the ring.

There's one set of brummel hooks. Yes, you hoist the jib, then disconnect the excess, which leaves the halyard hanging inside the pocket made by the luff zipper, zip it the rest of the way and stow the removed piece. The halyard is fine to hang as the downhaul is what puts the tension on the hook and ring at the top.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Duh. The light finally went on. Where I was getting messed up was where my second piece of line was tied to the bottom of the S hook. So it was going up as the sail was being raised. Now I get it. thanks for the patience everyone. Seems to get harder and harder to overcome the paradigms.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.