Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New to my area and................  Bottom

• New to sailing. I live in Poulsbo, Washington now and my girlfriend and I have been looking at larger cats for the family fun. She has been on the beach cats before and knows a little about them. We are older folks - pushing fifty. Our children are from fifteen to twenty-four years old.

There is a marina close by our house but no one has a cat. We did buy the book "Sailing for Dummies" and found it most useful.

We found two Hobie Cats in old but usable shape for under five hundred dollars each or the both for eight hundred dollars. But unsure of their condition, we passed on them.

I am a carpenter with a full cabinet shop and one that can build anything. I spend lots of time learning everything I can. I have bought the books on wood boat building from Glen L Marine and a book on lofting from the same company. I found them simple and don't beleave it to be a problem doing so. We were looking at building a thirty foot cat with an open deck using the strip cedar method. One that could play here in the Puget Sound or be used for coastal tripping. I think the only thing slowing us down is that we want to make sure it's an investment that we want to do.

I think what we are looking for is someone that would be willing/interested in showing us what to look for in rigging and structure conditions on a used cat. Maybe a pointer or two in how to get started once we get one.

Being winter time here, it could be just as simple to build a smaller beach cat but not knowing this area very well, or who to go too, I wouldn't know where to get the rigging or what's involved. Also, what size would you suggest for the first timer?
  • I've seen Wharram's designs and find them a bit too islander/tribal for me. I'm leaning toward the Woods design. I have talked with him while he was up in the British Columbia area sailing with his wife. His prices are more reasonable as well.

http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/designs.htm
  • h16's are great first cats! if you can get at least 1 working cat out of the 2 for 800 bucks then thats great. building boats from scratch can get EXPENSIVE. you might consider crawling before you walk to "get your feet wet". this site is a wealth of info on all your questions. since you have some time(winter) you dont have to pull the trigger yet. believe me, h16s are a kick in the pants! good luck! bill

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • I agree with coastrat, you have skills that will stand you in good stead, but you have no experience with catamarans and little experience with sailing. Start out sailing, small cats are extremely demanding physically, they are not daysailers, in other words, one does not sit comfortable under a bimini (awning) drinking a cold one eyeing the missus sunbathing on the deck. That kind of sailing is relegated to monohulls, so first you need to decide what kind of sailing you want to do, your decision should be based on age, physical condition, type of sailing you want to do, then choose your boat.

If cats are what you want, then be prepared for a longer-than-usual learning curve. Keep in mind that typically, small boats are up to the 24' - 26' range and then you get into the larger boat range. There are people out there who build ocean going catamarans out of wood, marine ply to be more exact, I've stumbled across their websites from time to time. Start off small to gain experience, you can move on to the larger ocean going catamarans of even trimarans as you gain experience.

There are the smaller cats such as:-
    Stingray:- http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=12286
    Shark:- http://sharkcatamaranclass.org/

I know that one can purchase plans to build a shark catamaran and I find the design of the shark hull one of the most attractive shapes I've ever seen on a cat. I recommend you start there. John Rogers will sell you complete plans on how to build a catamaran for just $80, you can contact him at cedarshark@aol.com

Hope this helps some.
    Turbo

edited by: turbohobo, Nov 28, 2009 - 08:58 PM
  • Although I'm old compared to most of you cat sailors, my job keeps me in pretty good shape. Three young men I call my sons also challenge me.

Those are different web sites than I've seen. And yes, I'm looking for the larger boat in the long run. I still need the experience and a cost efficient way of getting there.

• Umm... I'm 50, will be 51 this year, in good shape, slightly overweight at 200 lbs, have my own lawn care business which keeps me in shape, also gives me time off to go sailing during the week, I make sure to sail at least 1 day during the week, in that way I don't have to contend with motorheads who all seem to have an IQ below 50. I tend to shun confrontation because as being ex-military I constantly have to work on my aggression problem....TMI (lol) anyway, I thought that was a good starting point for you, the shark is a great cat and once you've mastered that, sell it, recoup your expenses and move on to something larger like this :- http://www.wallerdesign.com.au/wal1100.html

But here is a good website to link to, many people such as yourself looking to build their own boats:- http://www.boatdesign.net

Turbo
  • LOL.......... Sorry Turbo. Most folks our age don't/won't get involved with heavy sports. They'd rather drink beer and watch TV than get out there and do something.

I see a lot of younger people playing on these things and thought I had to try. Ain't in the ground yet. icon_wink

My girlfriend and I can't stay inside very long. We need something to do weather it be our mountain bikes, hiking, or ..............

One of the guys I work with is ex-military as am I. He use to fly a 21' cat boat in Hawaii. He was going to let me ride his H16 until he sold it this past summer due to no beach access without travel.

• if you get a h16 theres only a couple of problems:

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • first, you will have to fight those boys to get your turn. second, this will be the longest winter if your life waiting to sail it(common problem)!!!!

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.