Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Newbie - Prindle 16 first outing  Bottom

• Hey everyone. I'm a new owner of a 80' Prindle 16. We took it out last weekend for the first time. Saturday was with the Wife since the weather was in the 70's this weekend. Wind was about 10mph, gusting to 14 and was an enjoyable outing and got the wife hooked on this idea of "hull flying". Sunday was a mistake. Sort of like when I used to go surfing on hurricane days when the waves were double overhead, and finally making it past the shore break thinking to myself, this was a bad idea...Sunday the wind was 20mph (gusting to 33mph). All I know, as soon as I caught the downwind leg I was out of there like a bat out of...well you know, the Meatloaf song. icon_smile As soon as I tried to jib, I found out how unstable that maneuver was in a cat. Over I went into the drink. I was able to right it the first time, though the wind caught the sails and went over to the otherside. I struggled with it for a couple minutes not able to get the cat back over when a powerboat pulled up and gave me a tug to get upright. Now back on board, the wind caught the sails again and off I went. I tried to turn back upwind but kept getting hung up in the irons. So being nervous about the conditions, I fell off and went down wind where I ended up beaching the cat at the swimming beach on the other side of the lake. Pulled down the sails and waited for the wife (who was trail riding at the lake) to pick me up. Anyways, I now know that I'm more of a 10mph kinda guy at this point. icon_smile

One thing that was giving me trouble, and it might be the norm was the rudder system. It seem like I had a difficult time to get the rudders down and locked. I'd pulled the down-lock rope, and I couldn't get the rudders down/locked. Seems like there wasn't enough leverage. Any tips on this?

Also, connecting the forestay seems to be a bit of a pain in the ars. The second time that we set it up, we lasso'd a rope around it to be able to pull it down more to get the clevis to line up. Anyone have any tricks to help here?

Anyways, greetings to all the Florida folks. Sure miss the sunshine state, though now landlocked in Kansas. Grew up in Daytona Beach, though spent some time in Apollo Beach near Tampa. This beach cat gets me back in touch with my water side. Too bad the summer has come and gone, but good times are to come.

FYI, a short video of Sunday's bad idea... icon_smile
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/supermike/4094353040/

Cheers,
    Mike

edited by: Mr2always, Nov 10, 2009 - 07:25 PM
  • Congratulations with the prindle, it's a nice cat.

A shoelace works great to go through the forestay and then around a pin lower on the clevis. Pulling up with one hand draws the two together tight and leaves the other hand free to pin the forestay. The narrow shoelace will slip out when your done.

There was a big discussion on rudders earlier. here's the link
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/module-forum-viewtopic-topic-11381.html

Hope this helps.

Jim
  • welcome mike! i love my p 16 and went through the new owners learning curve this summer. i grew up on hobies(14, 16, 18) so the prindle was new to me. first i suggest downloading and printing up a copy of the owners manual, it was a tremendous help for me. if the forestay was that hard to connect the shrouds might be tight as well as the forestay, see manual(mast rake) for proper setting. as far as the rudders, let me get back with you, time is short. good luck, bill

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • When raising the mast it always helps to move the position of the shroud up a couple holes, raise the mast it now will have enough slack to attach easily, and then pull down on the trap and replace the shroud in it's original position. If you are alone you can do this a couple of ways, if you have a harness put it on and hook in using your weight while standing next to the boat to pull the mast over enough to replace the shroud in it proper position. Another way to do it is after you raise the mast with one shroud looser than the other, raise your mainsail and hook up your mainsheet, put your travler all the way outboard on the same side as the shroud that is looser and crank in the mainsheet really tight and then go replace the shroud to it original position.
  • As for Rudder definitely check out that other thread. I don't know if your issue is exactly the same as mine was but Pete's suggestions seemed to have fixed my problems.

As for the forestay I always have had help. usually we loosen the turnbuckle as far as we dare (be very careful that you do not loosen too much) then I hang on it while the wife pins it. We have gotten this down so it's usually not to bad but was tuff at first. I think it would be easier to loosen the shrouds a notch first like they said.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I had the same problem on my prindle 16 with the rudders. I have several suggestions.
    First of all, while the boat is on the trailer, try each rudder on the port and starboard side to see which side makes a tighter fit on each rudder. Then you can mark your rudders so when you rig the boat, you know which side to put each rudder on.
    If this doesn't make much of a difference, what worked for me temporarily was to twist the rudder lock bolt about 45 to 35 degrees. It will most likely lock very securily. However, it will be harder for the rudders to come up when getting back to shore.
    Lastly, I wouldn't mess with the springs yet. The problem is probably caused because the rudder lock bolt has been grinded because of use, and needs to be replaced. (Find the parts at murrays.com)
    Changing the lock bolt was a little complicated for me because of corrosion. First put WD 40 on the bolt and leave it for a day or so. Then get someone to put pressure on the top and bottom side of the bolt with screwdrivers so it won't turn, and use pliers to unscrew it.
    I hope that helps.
  • For tacking in heavy wind: pinch up very close to the wind (with speed)before turning the rudders. If not close to wind, your rudders only bring it HEAD to wind. For heavy wind jibes, try centering the traveler first, then ease it out afterward. Always grab dolphin striker upon righting. On all older boats, forestay & diamond wire turnbuckles need to be taken apart, cleaned on wire brush of your grinder, then oiled. Have taken my two P-16´s to La Paz for the winter to sail with the dolphins. Pete
  • Aint it just fun as hell though?

--
    1976 Prindle 16, Sailing since 1969, Retired Chief USCG, Disabled Vet, Father of 3 great daughters!
    --
  • BigNastyAint it just fun as hell though?

Of course! I've been slight sore this past week and am hoping the weather holds out for a decent weekend. We'll see. It is Kansas! Thanks for all the advise and I'll keep ya'll posted on future "adventures".
    Cheers,
    Mike

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.